"Phone Info" App and 3G/4G

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So i upgraded from a DInc2 last week (was waiting for DInc4G, looks like 7/5 now and loss unlimited data to get it, glad I got the Resound). Love the phone so far, but the only time I have seen the 4G icon above the bars was on the first start out of the box (1-3 bars of 3G ever since). I researched the area and I am defiantly within the 4GLTE zone, so I searched the forum for why, and found the "Phone Info" app. I installed it and it works great, I have 1-3 bars of 4G service now in the same location after setting it to "LTE mode(w/ voice)". However, I have a few questions:

1. I assume "LTE mode (w/ voice)" means 4G data with 3G voice?
2. What happens when you leave the 4G area? No data, or does it revert to 3G data?
3. What is better for battery life, 1-3 bars of 4G, or 1-3 bars 3G?

I only plan to use this app until we get ICS (not willing to root, yet). I hear those that are currently rooted and using ICS don't have the 3G/4G switching issue and the battery last much longer, is that correct?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're not getting 4G at all and you KNOW you're in a 4G area, first talk to Verizon and see if you can get a replacement SIM. That's usually where to start troubleshooting 4G connectivity...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
there is no such thing as 3g voice for the rezound. All voice is over 1x RTT. The bars also indicate voice signal strength, not data signal strength. I would try a new sim first. Also, make sure that you are in lte/CDMA mode in the settings.

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I decide to follow the advice given above. I hate calling Verizon (that is why I post here first).

I uninstalled "Phone Info" and restarted my phone so I could call, or stop by my local store. Guess what, now I show 4G service (1-3 bars) for data (browsing/email). What the hell? Before I installed "Phone Info" I never saw 4G while browsing/email, and my phone was roasting hot in my hand.

So confused, but glad it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol