Battery Life Worse Than Thunderbolt

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the Rezound, so please don't crucify me for my question. Basically, I get 4 hours of life out of my Rezound, on a good day and that is the max I can get out of it. I get low battery life, even with the Mobile Network OFF! I have Auto Sync and Background data on, so I can get my emails from Gmail, but have the Enable always-on mobile data unchecked. I used the Facebook App and Gmail the most, the battery is always hot and I have to keep it plugged in most of the time.

Would you consider this to be normal battery life for a Stock Rezound? I have no interest in attempting to root, just want to have the best battery possible as this is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance!

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Facebook syncing can really chew up your battery, you might try check your settings->accounts & sync and, try to increase the time between sync'ing.

note: this goes for app's

Reactions: costorga

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Get the GSam battery monitor from the market (free). It will tell you with extreme detail exactly what is using your battery.

My rezound gets better battery life than my Thunderbolt did with similar settings.

Reactions: costorga

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Signal is everything. If you get a low network signal, it doesn't matter what phone you have, it will chew up your battery. I'm not talking about the meter on the screen with the bars. That lies to you. My rezound shows more bars than my Dinc ever did, but the signal is the same.

Under settings/about phone/Network and check your dBm number. The lower the number the better the signal. Anything 90 or higher is a BAD signal. Low speeds and chews through battery. The better the signal, the less the phone needs to transmit, saving battery.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Signal is everything. If you get a low network signal, it doesn't matter what phone you have, it will chew up your battery. I'm not talking about the meter on the screen with the bars. That lies to you. My rezound shows more bars than my Dinc ever did, but the signal is the same.

Under settings/about phone/Network and check your dBm number. The lower the number the better the signal. Anything 90 or higher is a BAD signal. Low speeds and chews through battery. The better the signal, the less the phone needs to transmit, saving battery.

So i was curious about mine and I look where you stated mine is showing -81 is that good or bad... your explation does not cover negative numbers

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the Rezound, so please don't crucify me for my question. Basically, I get 4 hours of life out of my Rezound, on a good day and that is the max I can get out of it. I get low battery life, even with the Mobile Network OFF! I have Auto Sync and Background data on, so I can get my emails from Gmail, but have the Enable always-on mobile data unchecked. I used the Facebook App and Gmail the most, the battery is always hot and I have to keep it plugged in most of the time.

Would you consider this to be normal battery life for a Stock Rezound? I have no interest in attempting to root, just want to have the best battery possible as this is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance!

I find the battery life the worse thing about the Rezound. I also don't want the extended battery because this phone is heavy enough as it is with the standard battery. I used to have a Droid X with all the same settings and I never used near the amount of battery. The Razr Maxx has an AMAZING battery, but then I would have to go back to Motorola to receive that benefit and I won't do that.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So i was curious about mine and I look where you stated mine is showing -81 is that good or bad... your explation does not cover negative numbers

You're right, I did not go into the negatives. I figured just going by the number would be the easiest explanation, and technically the higher the number in negatives is a lower number.

What I've found over the last several years comparing signals with data and voice, mid 80's and lower is fine for doing anything on your phone. You start getting above an 85 and into the 90's then your phone will severely slow down with anything data related and your battery usage increases big time. My work building I consistently get around -99 as my signal. Phone calls and getting emails is about all it's good for inside the building. If I try to check facebook/browse the web etc, not only will it take forever to load, but I won't make it through the work day on battery.

This weekend I was at a wedding and my signal was -56. NEVER had a signal that great before. I got the best battery life I ever had, and the speeds were great for 3g (except FB because FB just sucks in general).

The reason I've always stuck with verizon is i've had a signal as low as -110 and been able to make a phone call with it. Usually you will get an x on the screen when the signal drops that low, but I've been able to use it.

On my Dinc, a signal in the 80's would only read 2 bars. On the rezound the meter shows 3-4 almost always regardless of the actual signal. Just shows you that the signal meter is not accurate and those ATT commercials were a joke.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

He means - 90. It is always shown in negative, and the weaker the signal, the higher it is. The problem is that it is showing 3g signal strength, not 4g. - 81 is ok, not great, but certainly not bad. Bars indicate voice signal strength.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
He means - 90. It is always shown in negative, and the weaker the signal, the higher it is. The problem is that it is showing 3g signal strength, not 4g. - 81 is ok, not great, but certainly not bad. Bars indicate voice signal strength.

Thanks, I didn't realize bars were voice. So maybe my BB and my rezound just get better voice coverage than the Dinc ever did? I don't ever remember my dinc showing 4 bars, but it always made phone calls just fine so who cares.

When my rezound is on 4g, it still shows a signal number. I've been places where is the signal number was very different with 4G, then when I turnef 4G off and when back to 3G. Even when the network is on LTE, those numbers still represent the 3g strength?

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Without turning this into a wave length discussion -- generally speaking, a higher signal number results in a lower negative number (there is a logarithmic relationship between the point of broadcast, 0, and the signal you receive, less than 0).

The smaller (less negative) your reading, the stronger your connection. -50 dBm is less negative -80 dBm. So, while -81 dBm is not bad, -60 dBm would be better. For wifi in your house, router position comes in to play, distance from router, etc.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually understand sine waves and thought this was being related to something else. Yeah the room i'm in is surrounded with servers and a big heavy door. My signal is always poor in my office. If i step outside I jump drasctically

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have -99 at work, but my battery dies just as quickly, at home, connected to Wi-Fi. I will have to check it out, because I'm beyond irritated.

CampCash

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem with battery life on a replacement phone and my battery life was horrible(2-5 hrs). I sent in for a new one. They determined the radios were messed up in my old phone. I am now back to much better battery life. I am a heavy user and my standard battery goes beyond 7 hrs on the replacement phone. My extended battery gets 18+ hrs easily.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I went home last night and my signal strength is -66 at home, so that shouldn't be the issue. I went from 91% to 0% in 3.5 hours. The GSam Battery Monitor states that my screen is using 63.6% and app usage is 29.2%. I guess I will try taking it into a Verizon store and see if they can check things out.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went home last night and my signal strength is -66 at home, so that shouldn't be the issue. I went from 91% to 0% in 3.5 hours. The GSam Battery Monitor states that my screen is using 63.6% and app usage is 29.2%. I guess I will try taking it into a Verizon store and see if they can check things out.

what setting is your screen on? full brightness? auto? I find that auto dimming uses more battery for me. I use the on screen widget, and use the lowest setting unless I'm outside and need it brighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton