G and GMail accounts seem redundant

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

My phone's been like this forever but I'm finally taking the time to ask about this. I have two GMail accounts on my phone and need to keep them both.

When I go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync I have one each GMail and one each "G" accounts for each one of these email addresses. I have the "G" accounts set to do the syncing and have disabled the GMail accounts because if I remember correctly enabling both GMail and G accounts I wind up with duplicate mail or something else weird -- I can't remember what it's been awhile. I have no idea how or why I wound up with both GMail and G accounts.

Why in the world would I or anyone need both of these for each email address when it seems the Google account takes care of it all? Can I delete one or the other GMail or G ??? without affecting everything on my phone including my Google Play accounts?

When I go to the settings in my Nexus 7 I have both email addys listed under the G and no GMail accounts listed there although I do have working GMail for both of these on the device. This leads me to believe I could delete the GMail accounts from my Rezound leaving just the G accounts without causing any issues. Yes? No?

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
2012-07-19_23-51-59.jpg

This is how mine looks....

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, at least I now know the G acct works on its own. I guess I'll try deleting a GMail acct and hope like hell I don't mess anything important up.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Crap, it won't let me delete the GMail account entries. I'd have to do a factory reset to get rid of them. Guess I just keep them disabled.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Can you post a screen shot because I can't figure out what you mean. Mine looks like the shot above, except I only have a single Gmail account.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I don't have a clue how to post a screenshot. Mine looks like a screenshot provided too accept you can add it to icons for gmail and that's the only difference I have 2 gmail icons and 2 letter g icons.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I too have a gmail account and a g for the same email address. And the mail app duplicates my email for this account. So I am getting one email account pushed twice and one account once. I tried to remove it but it wouldn't seem to let me.

ETA: I have also noticed that the gmail app updates better, than the mail app. gmail syncs my deletions and read messages where the stock mail app doesn't.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
ETA: I have also noticed that the gmail app updates better, than the mail app. gmail syncs my deletions and read messages where the stock mail app doesn't.

I'll have to do some testing. Thanks for the tip :)

Sent from my Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12