Factory reset after ICS

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a lot of people are talking about doing a factory reset after getting the update. My question to all of you is what are the benefits to doing it? I have never done one to my rezound or needed to but would be willing to do it if it can help anything. Please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The ota was the wrong way to do the update. VZW should not have done it like that. It is called a dirty flash.

Doing a reset will clear everything, make sure nothing got
"confused" in the update, reset permissions.... Etc.

If you are not having issues, don't worry about it. If you are do it

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: fester01

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay thanks. As far as I know I am not having issues. What should I be looking out for?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So... what's the proper way to do a factory reset?

It used to be in the storage menu, on my Gnex there's an option under backup and reset. However to me the best option is in stock recovery. Turn your phone off(or battery pull) turn it back on holding power and volume down. Select recovery using the volume up/down key and then click power. In the recovery menu choose factory reset and it will handle the rest.

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It used to be in the storage menu, on my Gnex there's an option under backup and reset. However to me the best option is in stock recovery. Turn your phone off(or battery pull) turn it back on holding power and volume down. Select recovery using the volume up/down key and then click power. In the recovery menu choose factory reset and it will handle the rest.

What's the difference between that and doing it from the storage menu?? How is it better for you??

usuallee

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to thank you Mr Smith, and chime in with my experience. IF you are having issues with your Rezound after the ICS, do a hard reset. DO IT! Since updating my Rezound, performance had been bad. Everything worked just well enough for me to procrastinate in dealing with it, but it was really slow and laggy, and worst of all, music would cut out momentarily while playing once every minute or two, which was driving me nuts! I hadn't been able to find alot of chatter online about performance issues w/the ICS upgrade. I even thought about either rooting or somehow rolling back to GB, neither of which I wanted to try to do.

Googled the issue yet again the other day and came across this thread. Rashly decided to do the factory reset then and there. Pulled battery, held volume down button while powering the phone up. Came to a DOS-like menu, chose factory reset, hit power to select.

It worked! Of course, all my apps and settings were gone, but it did NOT erase the SD card as others have alluded to. And the performance...oh my god it is sooo much more smooth and responsive. No more music cutting out. And the battery life seems to be improved now that I've cycled/recalibrated it. After nearly 9 hours today, I'm still at 75%, with screen at 25%, mostly on wifi/ a little 3G & moderate use including a few short phone calls, 40 minutes or so of music playing, and some web surfing/texting/playing.

So for anyone like me who was dismayed by their Rezound's performance after ICS update, do the factory reset!!!!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset SHOULD NOT touch the external microSD card, although I have heard of it happening. Through hboot (power on with vol down and select factory reset) it should never tough the microSD card, however, through the menus there is an option to "Clear Storage" or something like that, if you select it (and confirm after it warns you again), it will wipe out your SD card. Now, did some people do this by accident and not read thoroughly, or did the phone just decide to do it on it's own? I don't know...

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I always remove my sd card just on case. Also came to the conclusion to do a hard reset after any os upgrade or flash of any kind. It makes a huge difference most of the time. I got a replacement rezound and it came with the ics ota already installed. Ran like crap. Before I set everything up I did a reset and viola. Running flawless.

rvrkids

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Please help.....Been reading about problems with ics update because I am having lots of problems. I did OTA update.

Correct me if I'm wrong....doesn't a factory reset remove all updates? What is the purpose of doing a factory reset after OS updates if it just erases everything you just installed...why not just reject update if everything is working fine? I did a factory reset and immediately once everything got back up and running I was prompted to download and install the ics update again. Should I just reject it or do it manually while connected to pc?

Thanks for any help!!!

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The ics update is a vast improvement. The best way to put it is that ota's and flashes are dirty. A reset cleans the system from the previous files that were there.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Please help.....Been reading about problems with ics update because I am having lots of problems. I did OTA update.

Correct me if I'm wrong....doesn't a factory reset remove all updates? What is the purpose of doing a factory reset after OS updates if it just erases everything you just installed...why not just reject update if everything is working fine? I did a factory reset and immediately once everything got back up and running I was prompted to download and install the ics update again. Should I just reject it or do it manually while connected to pc?

Thanks for any help!!!
A factory reset will remove all user data, cache information, and other transient information, it will not remove any updates as they are part of the firmware. If you reject the update it will continue to prompt you periodically, you can't stop it without being rooted and patching the build.prop file so it thinks it is already at that release or installing an "unofficial" leak that won't take an update.

You should not be prompted to install an update after a factory reset if you were already on the 3.14.605.12 firmware before the reset provided you did a normal factory reset and not load an RUU to default back out (unless you are the beginning of a new roll out of an update that the rest of us haven't seen yet).

Unless you have a very specific reason for rejecting an update, you should accept it or it will just keep prompting you over and over again.