Can't manually pull up keyboard w/ICS update >:(

sarakat79

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I found through this forum in the past that a quick way to pull up the stock keyboard when needed was to press and hold the menu icon between the home and back keys (the one with the 4 lines). Well since the ICS update, I no longer seem to have that option, and I've found that many times in the past when surfing the web I've needed to use that feature. Am I missing something or did the developers just decide we didn't need that feature anymore? I haven't seen the option to pull it up in that big long list that now pops up & pressing and holding any other keys just brings up other menus or options. I am really frustrated at this point & feel that all the update did was take away features I used and made my notification bar status updates smaller. I am not really interested in a keyboard from the market... Any ideas? Sorry if this is a repeat ?

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't get that anymore either. On the other hand, I have never encountered a place where I needed it - whenever I tap in an editable field the keyboard pops up automatically. Under what circumstances do you need to manually open the keyboard?

I did discover that on the home screen, a long press of the menu buttton opens a google search window that lists recent searches I did, even if I did them on another computer! I use Apex launcher, so it might be a function of Apex.

sarakat79

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
A good example would be when I want to view my local Meijer ad (which is like a Walmart store in the Northeast), and I get an email for the ad preview a couple days early so I can get my heads up on next weeks sales, I have to input my local zipcode before it'll show me the ad for my area. For some annoying reason, the area to enter my zip will pop up with a blinking cursor, but for the life of me, there is no way to enter my zip because my keyboard refuses to pop up automatically. This was not a big deal when I could pull it up manually, but now that I can't, there is no way to bypass this screen to see the preview ad. I literally can now only view my ad early if I use my laptop. This is beyond silly, yet I have found no way around it and no matter what I tap on or where I long press on the screen I cannot get any info entered into that field. That's just 1 example, I've had other times when I've needed to input something but my keyboard was nowhere to be found until I pulled it up on my own. How about how annoying it is when you have to tap the blinking cursor yet again just to get keyboard to pop up so you can respond to a text msg. Shouldn't the keyboard automatically pop up when composing any text in the stock msg app? I also used the long press to pop the keyboard up for that in the past. Sorry so long! Ps Anyone else find it screwy to try and type then edit your post in anyway? My cursor is jumping around and deleting random areas of my post. It's driving me nuts.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I went to meijer.com, tapped on "weekly ads", and got a page to enter my town or email address. I tapped on the field and the keyboard popped up. I am using the dolphin browser, which browser do you use? Maybe that is the difference?

If you are doing something different please post a link to something that fails for you.

sarakat79

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately I know how you went through the site, but the email I receive has a different link since it is an "early" ad preview. I get the email on either Thr or Fri each week and it shows me what will be on sale that next week starting on the Sunday after I get the email. I will post the link as best I can, but I say that because unfortunately being Sunday now, it takes me to the normal weekly ad link which I never have a problem getting into once it's current. I may be stuck literally waiting until this next Thr or Fri (whatever) the day is that they send me the next preview email so that I can post the link while It's still considered to be in the preview timeframe. Anyhow, I will post the link that I have through my email at this point, but I don't think it'll be an accurate link as when the ad is really considered to be early. Also, I use the stock browser as I've tried others including Dolphin, but don't use my phone enough to really notice the benefits of using a different brower. Basically I'm kinda an if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda person and I would've been happy sticking with GB platform if Verizon hadn't pushed the update on my phone when I wasn't looking. Or something like that anyway!

Meijer Weekly Ad -- find all the best deals at your local Meijer

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
That link worked for me, in both browsers. I had to decline allowing it to sense my location. It then gave me an entry field, which i tapped on and opened the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy