FCC Ruling

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Now we all need the fcc to force all the carriers to offer unlimited data that's unthrottled

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Now we all need the fcc to force all the carriers to offer unlimited data that's unthrottled

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

This is a terrible idea. Kinda like how cable companies HAVE to give you certain channels on basic cable, and they all suck? Or phone companies HAVE to get land line phones to rural parts of the country? Seems like a great idea at the time, then it usually sucks, and companies still have to comply.

This ruling would be a lot better if subscribers got the money, not the government. In fact, it seems to me I keep reading about companies paying fines for f-ing over customers, and the government gets the money, not the customers. Pretty fantastic deal right there.

Reactions: b0btech

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Remember this ruling does not apply to those on unlimited data plans. This was excluded by the agreement. The ruling only applies to those on tiered data plans, since shared data users already include tethering.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a terrible idea. Kinda like how cable companies HAVE to give you certain channels on basic cable, and they all suck? Or phone companies HAVE to get land line phones to rural parts of the country? Seems like a great idea at the time, then it usually sucks, and companies still have to comply.

This ruling would be a lot better if subscribers got the money, not the government. In fact, it seems to me I keep reading about companies paying fines for f-ing over customers, and the government gets the money, not the customers. Pretty fantastic deal right there.

how is being guaranteed the option of exactly what you want a bad idea?

Sprint does it and they are actually doing better because of it.

Imagine if Verizon wised up and offered it again.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just think of what could happen when those flood gates are opened with all the data today's phones can burn through. Streaming movies and music for hours on end, using torrent apps, etc. It would start clogging the networks, slowing speeds down, interrupting data service all together, and maybe even disrupt actual phone call service because the carriers don't have the network capacity for all that traffic. From my understanding, that's one of the big reasons the caps were put in place to begin with. You think data plans are expensive now, just let government force unlimited plans and watch the price skyrocket do to the rapid need to increase infrastructure and capacity!

I think unlimited would be awesome to have again, but not by government force. Besides, I'm plenty happy with Verizon.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Just think of what could happen when those flood gates are opened with all the data today's phones can burn through. Streaming movies and music for hours on end, using torrent apps, etc. It would start clogging the networks, slowing speeds down, interrupting data service all together, and maybe even disrupt actual phone call service because the carriers don't have the network capacity for all that traffic. From my understanding, that's one of the big reasons the caps were put in place to begin with. You think data plans are expensive now, just let government force unlimited plans and watch the price skyrocket do to the rapid need to increase infrastructure and capacity!

I think unlimited would be awesome to have again, but not by government force. Besides, I'm plenty happy with Verizon.

Well they manage to do it in other countries. In fact, to them our wired sup speeds are a joke.

They have 100+ meg connections and pay around 20 a month.

Carriers should stop heavily promoting data intensive smart phones if they are going to limit it

Reactions: recDNA

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Agreed 100%. It's like they're saying "we have the fastest network so you can blow through your monthly allotment in half the time!"

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Agreed 100%. It's like they're saying "we have the fastest network so you can blow through your monthly allotment in half the time!"

Exactly.

I'm not one for government intruding, but something has to be done.

Free market doesn't work here.

In a free market, you leave and go somewhere that does what you want, but you can't get a network like Verizon anywhere else do if you need that network you are stuck.

This is one of the few times I feel the government should TOTALLY jump in and make a company do the right thing.

The other times are cable companies and utility companies because you don't have the option of just switching providers.

They claim their costs are going up and they are trying to make a profit, but then they report record profits.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wait wait wait

First off, Sprint is in last place amongst the big 4 wireless companies. They will get better than t-mo but it will take 5 years for them to catch ATT, Verizon maybe never.

Second, you bring up wired telcos. We are talking wireless. compare apples to apples.

Next the government will not make them do unlimited anything. They can force the to do certain things, but to offer a service like that is insane.

But lets say it happens. The FCC says you must offer unlimited data. I must not be throttled in any way. Guess what? It will be, on 1X. They will comply as cheaply as possible.

Show me a country with 100+ MB connections to every house for 20 a month. One that is already up and running. Dont say finland, they aren't there.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I work in an industry where the government does insane things all the time. So trust me when I say, "Don't give them any ideas!" Lol

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Remember this ruling does not apply to those on unlimited data plans. This was excluded by the agreement. The ruling only applies to those on tiered data plans, since shared data users already include tethering.

I saw that in the article but not in others. To me that would still violate the FCC rules. Verizon signed that agreement when unlimited plans were more common. Seems they want to comply but with exceptions.

I know for me I will be getting rid of my mobile broadband card for DSL. Cheaper, faster and no limits.

AT&T will probably get fined as well because they were blocking FoxFi.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Sprint does it and they are actually doing better because of it.

Imagine if Verizon wised up and offered it again.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Well, here is a not so far fetched idea. So the man makes verizon give us unlimited, un throttled data. Verizon jacks data prices so they make money. The cable companies see a chance to steal some customers back, and build city wide wifi, and let you access it free on certain levels of service. Lots of people use the service but because its better, but everyone has to pay verizon still, because they still want a smart phone.

What if Google or apple build out a wireless service? You never beg the government, you might as well sell your soul.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Wait wait wait

First off, Sprint is in last place amongst the big 4 wireless companies. They will get better than t-mo but it will take 5 years for them to catch ATT, Verizon maybe never.

Second, you bring up wired telcos. We are talking wireless. compare apples to apples.

Next the government will not make them do unlimited anything. They can force the to do certain things, but to offer a service like that is insane.

But lets say it happens. The FCC says you must offer unlimited data. I must not be throttled in any way. Guess what? It will be, on 1X. They will comply as cheaply as possible.

Show me a country with 100+ MB connections to every house for 20 a month. One that is already up and running. Dont say finland, they aren't there.

No, Sprint is 3rd.

Better call quality, stability than t mobile, more subscribers, they are third, not fourth.

Next, I can't find the article, but it was one of those Asian countries saying they were getting rid of slower connections.

I'll post it when I find it

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, here is a not so far fetched idea. So the man makes verizon give us unlimited, un throttled data. Verizon jacks data prices so they make money. The cable companies see a chance to steal some customers back, and build city wide wifi, and let you access it free on certain levels of service. Lots of people use the service but because its better, but everyone has to pay verizon still, because they still want a smart phone.

What if Google or apple build out a wireless service? You never beg the government, you might as well sell your soul.

forcing an unlimited option wouldn't cause that problem.

Didn't say make them take away tiered plans, just add an unlimited option for those that use a lot of data.

All not seeing a down side

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait

I always wondered a bit, why wireless providers don't do tiered speeds like the telco's and cable companies. There are two ways to manage bandwidth, amount of data, and the speed of that data. It would be interesting if one of the big guys (sprint, I'm looking at you) to offer something like that.

Are not most of those other countries broadband heavily subsidized by the governments? Those giant leaps are to expensive for private companies. American companies have to creep the speeds up, even Verizon has backed off it's FIOS plan. It's just way to expensive per subscriber. I know FIOS has a very high theoretical max speed, but cable internet right now could be turned on to 384mps, no real "cost" except for some cleaning of the plant to make sure those speeds are sustainable.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
forcing an unlimited option wouldn't cause that problem.

Didn't say make them take away tiered plans, just add an unlimited option for those that use a lot of data.

All not seeing a down side

The free market is working just fine. You have a choice. Good network and limited, or bad and unlimited. Verizon has invested leaps and bounds more in their network than anyone else and have a great one to show for it. They can do what they want with their plans because it is their right. If we don't like it, we go somewhere else and except the consequences.

Let's say they do this. I have yet to see a wifi network as fast as 4g, so why would I ever use one? That means everyone will do nothing but use network. That means that the towers will be reaching their max users all the time and data will be speratic to everyone. In college towns, ppl streaming movies will take up all the slots and everyone else will be screwed at high usage times.

After this is realized, Verizon will dumb down and slow down their network so that ppl will only use it when there is nothing else available and we will be back in 2008.

If you only require an unlimited option, it will be at 1x or 200$ a month per phone. The only requirement that will change anything is requiring to only have unlimited plans. This will cause the problems I have stated plus drive prices through the roof. Let the market work and help it buy putting your money where you feel it is best serving your interest. If everyone leaves for sprint, it will change things for better. If requirements are passed the market will be messed up.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
How about if we start with making Verizon live up to the agreements they already have with the fcc before we add on more?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

wythme2

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered a bit, why wireless providers don't do tiered speeds like the telco's and cable companies. There are two ways to manage bandwidth, amount of data, and the speed of that data. It would be interesting if one of the big guys (sprint, I'm looking at you) to offer something like that.

Are not most of those other countries broadband heavily subsidized by the governments? Those giant leaps are to expensive for private companies. American companies have to creep the speeds up, even Verizon has backed off it's FIOS plan. It's just way to expensive per subscriber. I know FIOS has a very high theoretical max speed, but cable internet right now could be turned on to 384mps, no real "cost" except for some cleaning of the plant to make sure those speeds are sustainable.

Verizon has not backed off of fios, they have actually enhanced the network,and are offering quantum speeds now. And they also give you free wifi where it is available. All you have to do is own load the program to your Laptop and it searchs for the wifi. I actually used it when we went on vacation last year.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I saw that in the article but not in others. To me that would still violate the FCC rules. Verizon signed that agreement when unlimited plans were more common. Seems they want to comply but with exceptions.

I know for me I will be getting rid of my mobile broadband card for DSL. Cheaper, faster and no limits.

AT&T will probably get fined as well because they were blocking FoxFi.

No - AT&T did not sign a agreement with the FCC. Verizon is getting fined because this was part of their spectrum purchase. Also, because tethering was already a charge feature in unlimited it is not covered by the FCC ruling.

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol