New update pushing out to Rezound on West Coast as of 8/12/2012

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: New update pushing out to Rezound on West Coast as of 8/12/20

kind of scary, but, it works. It, also, did not wipe out my internal SD card, so, I didn't need to re-setup my phone. :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Honestly recommend NOT trying to flash this unless you are very accustom to ripping apart an Update.Zip file and flashing hboot/recovery, firmware, and radios independently and are not worried if you brick your phone... several users on XDA have not everything "just right" and tried to flash this and have bricked their phones and had to get replacements (which VZW is out of the Rezound and pushing the Razr). The file was distributed to tear apart and look at, not just flash it up, although some advanced users have been able to do that.

Fair warning... proceed with caution... Your mileage may vary... yadda yadda yadda

Reactions: corki2

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Honestly recommend NOT trying to flash this unless you are very accustom to ripping apart an Update.Zip file and flashing hboot/recovery, firmware, and radios independently and are not worried if you brick your phone... several users on XDA have not everything "just right" and tried to flash this and have bricked their phones and had to get replacements (which VZW is out of the Rezound and pushing the Razr). The file was distributed to tear apart and look at, not just flash it up, although some advanced users have been able to do that.

Fair warning... proceed with caution... Your mileage may vary... yadda yadda yadda

This for sure is the truth. I'll tell you all day to just flash an ruu, but would tell you on this one to sit it out so the smart guys can dumb it down for us mortals.

PreceptorJR

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I just re-locked using Hasoon Toolkit and flashed the .12 update. Everything is back to stock including the recovery...now I have to work up the cajones to flash the new OTA patch.

Here are the full instructions I posted last night in this thread that I copied from XDA (the steps above will get you through #2):

1. Install the ICS OTA full firmware.
2. Boot it up at least once. I skipped setup and just let it boot.
3. Extract the firmware.zip out and rename to PH98IMG.zip. (Don't remove it, just extract a copy.)
4. Place the PH98IMG.zip on the SDCard.
5. Rename the entire package to Update.zip and put it on the SDCard.
6. Reboot to recovery (which should now be stock.)
7. Press vol up and power.
8. The update will start and patch your files.
9. The phone will reboot to HBOOT and load the PH98IMG.zip file you put there.
10. Vol up to install.
11. PWR to reboot.
12. Profit!

Should I relock it and flash back to stock? Then wait for OTA and re-root? Is that the safest bet?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

This appears to have been a beta/soak test and not a general release... so far only a tiny handful of people have gotten it, it is not expected to publicly roll out soon, also appears to have a couple bugs along with some fixes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If anyone bricks their phone by running any update other than an official OTA, then they should man up and eat the cost. Everyone knows the risk of pushing any software that isn't an official OTA. Of course, if you get an official OTA and it bricks, then by all means, verizon should cover the replacement.

Reactions: corki2

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

This appears to have been a beta/soak test and not a general release... so far only a tiny handful of people have gotten it, it is not expected to publicly roll out soon, also appears to have a couple bugs along with some fixes.

I'm one of the lucky few that got it. Haven't found any issues with it, and the only change I've seen is the addition of the global capability.

Reactions: acejavelin

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm one of the lucky few that got it. Haven't found any issues with it, and the only change I've seen is the addition of the global capability.
Awesome!!! So you see nothing different? My understanding was that Mobile IM was removed (lots of people have it disabled), and Movie Editor added, and gTalk updated (think there was something else but I can't remember).

One user reported trouble changing wallpapers if they were not Live Wallpaper, seen that at all?

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Awesome!!! So you see nothing different? My understanding was that Mobile IM was removed (lots of people have it disabled), and Movie Editor added, and gTalk updated (think there was something else but I can't remember).

One user reported trouble changing wallpapers if they were not Live Wallpaper, seen that at all?

Never used mobile IM, but yeah, it's gone now. Movie editor is also there now. Didn't even notice either until you mentioned it here. Functionally I notice zero difference besides the network select for the global features. You can force it to 3G only again (part of the global settings), I think that went away in the first ICS upgrade like the RAZR's did didn't it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Never used mobile IM, but yeah, it's gone now. Movie editor is also there now. Didn't even notice either until you mentioned it here. Functionally I notice zero difference besides the network select for the global features. You can force it to 3G only again (part of the global settings), I think that went away in the first ICS upgrade like the RAZR's did didn't it.
OK, cool... so the rumors are true. BTW, the CDMA or CDMA/LTE options were there on the OTA ICS and the .12 RUU

Did you ever have the "heating" issue or 4G/3G drops on ICS? Some users have reported those are fixed as well, but if you never had them you wouldn't know I guess.

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

OK, cool... so the rumors are true. BTW, the CDMA or CDMA/LTE options were there on the OTA ICS and the .12 RUU

Did you ever have the "heating" issue or 4G/3G drops on ICS? Some users have reported those are fixed as well, but if you never had them you wouldn't know I guess.

I never turn off my 4G, I just know that some devices lost the 3G/4G toggle with ICS, but I never looked at mine after the intial ICS upgrade. My phone heats up when I use it heavily (streaming video, heavy tethering activity, ect), but nothing that any other phone doesn't do. My data connection was terrible pre ICS, always dropping out, but since has been flawless.

Reactions: acejavelin

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Downloading it now. I'm gonna hold onto it until I read what changes are made. Not risking anything just to be one of the firsts, but I'm am looking forward to seeing if the new radio helps. My reception at work SUCKS.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
. You can force it to 3G only again (part of the global settings), I think that went away in the first ICS upgrade like the RAZR's did didn't it.

Wait ... we have no 4G option when in global mode?

I know most of the world doesn't have 4G yet, but hell....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Wait ... we have no 4G option when in global mode?

I know most of the world doesn't have 4G yet, but hell....

It wouldn't matter, no place else in the world to my knowledge is deploying LTE in the same chunk of the 700 band. The settings are "global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS, CDMA only". Then in GSM you can select GSM/UMTS, GSM only, or UMTS only.

Reactions: TBolt

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just for kicks before bed, I checked for a software update. Got a server error. Maybe they are getting ready to release the bits! :)

4b53b0c9-a586-2244.jpg

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Just for kicks before bed, I checked for a software update. Got a server error. Maybe they are getting ready to release the bits! :)

I used to get this off and on when ICS first started rolling out, my guess was it was because the update serves were so busy, but it might be just because of the Rezound, lots of other phones are getting updates this month too.

Reactions: TBolt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463