Screen black while on call

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here, the proximity sensor works fine on both of my Rezounds with GB and ICS, move the phone away from my ear and the screen lights up like magic, every time.

On several phones I have seen this issue caused by the case, screen protectors, makeup/dirt on the phone, and anything else that could block the proximity detector. I have also seen these sensors fail, my Incredible 2 had one that failed and I have seen Motorolas and Samsungs do the same thing in my office, actually not a horribly uncommon occurrence.

Dust inside the phone is also a factor... the groovy red earpiece (with all the holes) is right above the sensors... all the lint from your pocket collects in the earpiece and sifts down to the sensors :'(

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was the way the Rezound worked because the day I received it as my replacement for the Thunderbolt, the ICS update was released. I got it set up and activated and no apps on it. Got the ICS update did it and no problems. I didn't know it wasn't doing this prior to the update. I checked the box and we will see. NO I don't plan on asking for a change of phones. If there was a more serious issue then I would.
We know there are bugs with ICS but for the most part it seems to be decent for me. It is very fluid and I find no lag. I don't have the issues I had with the Thunderbolt. Let's hope the fix that will be released will repair any issues/concerns. I do know tho that on my Samsung Galaxy tab there are no problems with the ICS.
:p

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
That worked. I had to make a call and while on it the screen turned black but immediately lit back up when took away from the ear.

sent from my Rezound

steveknj

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
in settings go to accessibility and check the box for power button ends call

fixed the problem! :)

Actually, it didn't fix the problem, it's a workaround. This is what I did, but I don't like to have to do that. This won't work if you have to use the keypad for prompts, if you call a customer service desk or some such thing. If you click the button to get your screen back, it will hang up your phone.

I'm on my second Rezound and this is happening (along with weak 3G signal at work, never had this problem with my old Droid 2...yes, work isn't in a 4G area yet), and problems syncing the phonebook with my bluetooth auto phone system (this worked flawlessly with my old phone). So perhaps another trip to Verizon for phone #3.

As an aside, the reason I turned in phone #1 was because of the maps issue. Outside of a weak 3G connection, there was NO REASON to turn that phone in. Verizon should have known that issue exists and suggested the workaround that was listed here. So I'm peeved at Verizon for having me go through all the new phone setup and issues such as this for NO REASON!!

steveknj

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
in settings go to accessibility and check the box for power button ends call

fixed the problem! :)

This is actually a workaround, not a fix. If you have to use the keypad during your phone call, pressing that button to light up the screen will result in you hanging up the call. This is not a very good solution (but how I have it set for now). This needs to be fixed. This did not happen on my last Rezound (this is Rezound #2, as Verizon stupidly replaced my 1st one over the Maps update issue rather than actually noticing it was a bug and suggesting I go back to the previous version of Maps...this phone seems worse than the other one).

seeg

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Try going into settings-display-sleep and select never turn off. My wifes phone had the same problem and that's what the tech suggested. Unfortunately it works only half of the time, an improvement, but not good enough.Looks like rezound #4 coming up.

seeg

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a workaround, not a fix. If you have to use the keypad during your phone call, pressing that button to light up the screen will result in you hanging up the call. This is not a very good solution (but how I have it set for now). This needs to be fixed. This did not happen on my last Rezound (this is Rezound #2, as Verizon stupidly replaced my 1st one over the Maps update issue rather than actually noticing it was a bug and suggesting I go back to the previous version of Maps...this phone seems worse than the other one).

Must be especially irritating since the maps issue has been resolved.

steveknj

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Must be especially irritating since the maps issue has been resolved.

If I had known that the issue was with Maps and not the phone, I never would have swapped the phone out. And since the new phone has introduced WORSE issues than the original (for instance, my phonebook no longer syncs with the bluetooth in my car, meaning that to make phone calls using the car's bluetooth feature, I have to actually say the phone number), I'm really irritated. To me, this is a failure by Verizon to NOT know that a bug like the Maps update bug exists.

Begr4ven

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue on the Rezound with screen staying black during and after phone call. I soon realized this is a hardware issue and not a software or OS issue. I downloaded AndroSensor from Play Store and watched the proximity sensor. It remained at 0.0 regardless of how far I held it. The physical sensor is locared at the top of the sceen. I started "cleaning" the area when I realized the screen itself was raised. This phone is a replacement phone, and my other Rezound never had this issue. I started pressing down and withdrawing on the raised screen while the AndroSensor was on. I noticed the proximity sensor was now registering range. Made a few calls to my home phone...Fixed! Try it out...worked for me!

red rage

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ok guys and girls had this same problem . got to the play store and get the app rezound proximity sensor . works like a charm . lets you adjust the sensitivity of the proximity sensor

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
ok guys and girls had this same problem . got to the play store and get the app rezound proximity sensor . works like a charm . lets you adjust the sensitivity of the proximity sensor
Well, not quite so simple... First you must be rooted, and this app is called Rezound Prox Sensor Calibrator by the legendary Chad0989, the man who cracked the RIL and made AOSP builds possible on the Rezound. It works beautifully if you Proximity Sensor is functional but either miscalibrated or it slipped out of specs, although it can't fix truly bad hardware.

dakron

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with HTC One - Accessibility/Power Button shuts phone off was unchecked. However - I checked it, exited, reentered and unchecked it. Seemed to reset something and now it stays on.