Rezound ics update issues-fix

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
The software number previously was 2.3.4 for the rezound on gingerbread.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry. I should have clarified. I simply got the OTA update from Verizon last Wed and instantly had the dropped calls and half the battery life I had the day before with the same use...have not done any rooting or manual flashing. I just googled to try and find someone that seemed knowledgeable enough to explain if I could "revert" back. SO.....what was my previous version then? I wish there was some sort of way to set a restore point and revert to that when the new update doesn't have the kinks worked out.

Thank you and I apologize for being such a doof now. I used to be more "up" on this stuff, but once I had a kid and switched to a more demanding job, there just aren't the number of hours in the day I need. Grrrr. Stinks getting old!

--jess
Then a factory reset is in order, it is highly recommended after a change in the OS and going from Gingerbread to ICS is a MAJOR upgrade... The ICS build is very stable but some apps do not like the fact they were installed on GB and now running on ICS, causing issues you describe. I recommend a full hboot factory reset with a manual reconfigure of all apps and settings, do not use Mybackup or other tools to restore apps.

The update was more than an update, it was a complete operating system upgrade and cannot be undone without significant amounts of work that have the potential of bricking you phone if done incorrectly.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. Thanks so much! Can I use mybackupPro for any of my data (i.e., texts and such)?
You can, although I recommend against using to restore the data as you can often just restore the problem. Here is a quick guide to doing a factory reset:

I am going to assume you are NOT rooted...

1. (Optional) Use a utility like MyBackup Pro to backup all data (this is a safeguard, do NOT restore from this unless absolutely necessary)
2. Go into Message app and press MENU and select Back up SMS, then save all messages to a file (note the filename)
3. Plug the USB into a PC, go into Storage mode, and copy everything from both drives that appear in Windows to a spare directory.
4. Backup contacts, if you are using any "Phone" contacts, use VZW Backup, if they are all Goggle contacts you can skip this step. (Facebook and Exchange contacts are held on the server, no need to backup)
5. Take screen shots of all home screens, and the application launcher screens
6. Make sure you have all usernames, password, WiFi codes, etc., for all accounts and WiFi networks you have in the device
7. Go into Settings-Apps-All and note which apps you have disabled

Once you have everything you think you need, do a Factory Reset via the menus, then once it completes and you are back at the setup screen, power off, remove and reinstall the battery, and power up holding VOL DOWN+POWER to go into HBOOT, then perform the Factory Reset from there as well. The phone will reboot to the setup screen, go through that.

Google contacts should restore automatically, or use VZW Backup to restore contacts, then once all contacts are back you can restore the Message backup (might have to copy the backup file back to it's original location). If you want to disable apps, best to do them at this step. Setup you local WiFi and any additional accounts if you need to. Then start Play Store twice, pausing about a minute or two between, on the second start load all updates. Now go to Google and the Play Store your computer and select "My Android Apps", and click on the "Verizon HTC ADR6425LVW" icon, from that point you can see the apps you have for that device and other apps in your library, select Install for the ones you want and they will be pushed out to the phone and install. Once that is all done run each app at least once to finish it's setup (this is important, some apps will hold the WakeLock until their setup is complete, draining the battery quickly if you don't finish the setup). Now just change home screens and such as needed and tweak.

With a little practice, this entire procedure can be done in under 30 minutes, depending on your connection speed, number of apps to install, and amount of tweaking needed.

If you are doing anything "weird", like POP3 mail accounts, you might have to back those up separately if they are not stored on the server.

Also, most apps that store significant or important data have backup or export facilities built into them, such as Contacts and Messages. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. What each person needs to backup is different, so guides are fairly general.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Then a factory reset is in order, it is highly recommended after a change in the OS and going from Gingerbread to ICS is a MAJOR upgrade... The ICS build is very stable but some apps do not like the fact they were installed on GB and now running on ICS, causing issues you describe. I recommend a full hboot factory reset with a manual reconfigure of all apps and settings, do not use Mybackup or other tools to restore apps.

The update was more than an update, it was a complete operating system upgrade and cannot be undone without significant amounts of work that have the potential of bricking you phone if done incorrectly.

Manually reload apps! Maybe that is why my RZ runs well. I took the OTA ICS, restored contacts and email, then manually loaded desired apps and tailored screens. No factory reset and not issues. Great signal levels and battery life. Chris

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Manually reload apps! Maybe that is why my RZ runs well. I took the OTA ICS, restored contacts and email, then manually loaded desired apps and tailored screens. No factory reset and not issues. Great signal levels and battery life. Chris
Wait... that doesn't make Sense... :)

If you took the update OTA, then nothing on your phone would have touched contacts, email, app, screens, etc. The OTA was just an upgrade, it didn't clear or wipe anything, you shouldn't have to restore anything.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't have to, but it is best to do a Factory Reset after getting the ICS update, then restore everything manually and reinstall apps, but if you aren't having any trouble then it's your call I guess.