FCC comments on broadband

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
So this comment on another thread got me thinking about this a bit more, and I didn't want to clog another thread with what will ultimately have most of you hating me. :)

Speaking of data limits, be sure to let the FCC know what you think about the low limits:

FCC wants to know if it's too modest about broadband, gives chance to fight caps and slow speeds -- Engadget

The FCC is accepting public comments.

Reading the comments on Engadget just about had me in a tizzy. As most of you know, I work for a company that provides internet service to peoples house, and I actually know a few things about how this works, so I thought I might throw out what I know.

People say they want 10tb of data on a landline.
Ok, then give up all your tv. As much as people complain about cable and satellite, there is still no easier way to get tv shows to your house. If even we have 8 dedicated "channels" of internet, and still can only get about serve about 200 houses as things are built in the plant now. That is up from 1 serving 500 houses just 6 years ago. If someone can think of a better way to get tv into your house, then maybe we'll dedicate all "channels" to internet.

People want at least 25mb cap on mobile broadband.
Double your bill, and stop whining about the way cell towers look, because they are going to need a lot more of them. Or shut off all 2 way radio and over the air tv channels and give it to the cell companies, still double your bill.

Speed
Your ISP is not to blame for your crappy speed, the Internet is. Put this into a dos prompt tracert google.com From my house, getting to Google takes 9 different "servers" (for lack of a better word), that is what takes so long. Any one of those points can make your internet suck, and usually one of them is. What is more of a data hog than an HD movie? It only needs 4mps to run lag free. So on a 17mps landline plan, you can stream 4 at the same time, with a bit left over to surf on. In the real world, I've scene 17mps run 8 HD streams with no complaint from the customer.

What else you guys got? Mock me, prove me wrong, call me Sally, I'll take it, but I stand by the fact the FCC will screw up the internet. I look at what the car companies do. They pseudo complain about government regulations on cars, but behind the scenes, are lobbying hard for them, because it makes it harder and harder for the small guy to break in. This is what I really see in the future of the internet. All these rules will seem great at first, until the only place to buy something online is Amazon, and the only search engine is Google. Everyone else will get pushed out, and eventually, it will be so expensive to meet the FCC's standard, nobody breaks in.

Oh, and don't start with other countries service. Built by governments for people that can't get drinkable water. I'll take my clear tap water and 3 working toilets over a 4ms ping to Google.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to say two words in response to the internet portion of your comment...Keep in mind that it's not a perfect solution but it's moving in the right direction for internet service....Kansas city.

As far as TV, it's a dying media transport system. We're probably not all that far off from pure a la carte TV programming, where you sign up for a provider like comcast and pay them for the specific channel or episode/show you want. I'll be honest, if not for Football and Hockey, I'd probably never turn my TV on. The Walking Dead is probably the only show I actively watch, and I grab the HD rip the day after.

I just have the feeling that we will eventually move to a data only model for home service. To someone like me, it's a dream come true.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to say two words in response to the internet portion of your comment...Keep in mind that it's not a perfect solution but it's moving in the right direction for internet service....Kansas city.

As far as TV, it's a dying media transport system. We're probably not all that far off from pure a la carte TV programming, where you sign up for a provider like comcast and pay them for the specific channel or episode/show you want. I'll be honest, if not for Football and Hockey, I'd probably never turn my TV on. The Walking Dead is probably the only show I actively watch, and I grab the HD rip the day after.

I just have the feeling that we will eventually move to a data only model for home service. To someone like me, it's a dream come true.

A la carte cable......."drooling". I wish. I have a feeling that will be fought for a ton more years. I would LOVE to get rid of BET, Food network, O2, etc. I don't watch any of that crap. News, HBO, sports, and disney for the kids. Boom done.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping to get some PC time to respond with a real keyboard, but my schedule just will not allow it. So, for now ... I will take Smith's dream a step further to say, in my opinion, movie releases ought to be distributed straight to the livingroom via broadband.

The need exists to push radio, TV programming, movies and more important things, like educational media, books, household utility control, the list is endless ... via broadband. The old distribution methods & the old ideas that keep these distribution channels / limitations in place today must die. Failure to evolve these methods is a seriously irresponsible mistake.

To support an evolution in this country, faster, stronger and bigger broadband is needed. The costs of expanding this county's broadband capability is a drop in the sea compared to the money that is wasted in other arenas. Historically, government involvement has driven industry's actions when it comes to major overhaul, and these steps by the FCC are just the first few steps.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't ask this to be an ass, but what good does broadband do to control residential utilities? Analog control is far more reliable than digital, plus what is it controlling? I don't want anyone to be looking at what brand my toaster is.

The push for the private sector is there, its just going to evolve, not be just transported to us instantly. Fios is proving to be very expensive, the way cable companies are doing fiber, by creeping it closer and closer is most likely the fiber is getting to houses.

What has the FCC done to ever make anything better? The fed killed Ma' Bell and that set back phone tech almost 30 years. They force cable companies to show specific channels (local) whether the sub wants them or not. We still pay to get land lines to rural areas, when cell tech can hit them much cheaper. Outside of NASA, I can't think of much the government has helped to innovate.

Last edited:

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Ala' cart won't happen, ever. Its to expensive. Just look at what Glenn Beck charges for his internet TV station. Its proving cable companies right. $10 per month per channel will kill everything but ESPN and fox news. And if it doesn't, the major players will gobble up the tiny cable TV channels and either bundle them for you, or kill them off. I'm not against it, but the best try so far to kill bundled TV was Hulu,and where is that going? The idea is in someones head, I just don't see it. The push for providers is TV everywhere, but the stations are not on board, because advertising revenue goes down.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
TV and cable will not change much in the next decade or more. Dying media? Maybe but there is no feasible alternative close. Internet TV today is not the answer.

Ala carte maybe possible but costs per channel and revenues will kill that idea. The networks will back the providers on that one because they would lose probably the most. TV in general is so expensive because every actor needs $100's of thousands. Why do you think we live in a world of stupid reality shows.

As far as broadband goes data caps of 2gb is ridiculous. Wireless needs to be more inline with wired providers. The same people that want caps tout streaming of high data applications. The cost per gb is not rational on the wireless side. I know everyone talks about towers not being able to support the traffic and that is a 1x statement. Most towers have fiber connected to your local utility to aid in data distribution. Also that was one of the benefits of going to the 700 MHZ band was for data handling and spectrum bandwidth.

I think if there was going to be a cap it should start at 50gb. Speeds should be more realistic but conservative at the same time. I'm thinking 8-12mbps download and 4-6mbps upload. There are some DSL providers locally that start at 768kbps still.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We should all be weary of the FCC wanting to tax the internet and the universal service fee change from phone only to carry broadband to rural areas. That which they subsidize they can regulate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Considering you're speaking about Glenn Beck & Fox News as if they are legitimate news sources, I can see who I'm talking to. Not wasting my time....

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Neither one of those are a source as you put it. Gee, do you think it possible that I could just be conservative all by myself without being told what to think? I also think Glenn Beck is a little too much "there is a boogeyman" under every bed for my likes.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
TV and cable will not change much in the next decade or more. Dying media? Maybe but there is no feasible alternative close. Internet TV today is not the answer.

Talk to most anyone under the age of 25 and you'll find that if they can't get it on demand they won't watch it. The internet based services are going to gain exponentially as the "old ways" die off with their users. I pay for cable TV but I don't watch it(other than football and hockey). Anything else I stream or flat out download.

I have the feeling that the push to true digital is coming, and with that the standard OTA TV medium dies as well.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea... I'm surprised two names/services haven't been mentioned in this thread yet:

Netflix
Hulu

Both have shown to be profitable (albeit Hulu wasn't profitable enough on the free platform to slate the owner's giant monetary appetites).

$7.99 a month to stream whatever you want from Netflix's digital library, as many times as you like. That's a very reasonable service fee for that kind of thing. It also acts as a platform for discovery, I know I've found a few shows I've never heard of before through it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to get some PC time to respond with a real keyboard, but my schedule just will not allow it. So, for now ... I will take Smith's dream a step further to say, in my opinion, movie releases ought to be distributed straight to the livingroom via broadband.

The need exists to push radio, TV programming, movies and more important things, like educational media, books, household utility control, the list is endless ... via broadband. The old distribution methods & the old ideas that keep these distribution channels / limitations in place today must die. Failure to evolve these methods is a seriously irresponsible mistake.

To support an evolution in this country, faster, stronger and bigger broadband is needed. The costs of expanding this county's broadband capability is a drop in the sea compared to the money that is wasted in other arenas. Historically, government involvement has driven industry's actions when it comes to major overhaul, and these steps by the FCC are just the first few steps.

If there is a need/want for it, then the market will solve the problem in the best and most economical way because someone is out there read to make money on it if it is possible. The government would only waste our money to go in some blind direct that more than likely will choke the market in the long run.

Well I guess that is unless you consider all the amazing solar panel tech that our billions of dollars have produced... O wait?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If there is a need/want for it, then the market will solve the problem in the best and most economical way because someone is out there read to make money on it if it is possible. The government would only waste our money to go in some blind direct that more than likely will choke the market in the long run.

Well I guess that is unless you consider all the amazing solar panel tech that our billions of dollars have produced... O wait?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

The ideal of capitalism only works when the companies which have made their money on the old model aren't fighting tooth and nail to keep said old model in effect.

EDIT: Allow me to rephrase that, the ideal of capitalism works best when the companies which have made their money on the old model aren't fighting tooth and nail to keep said old model in effect.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The ideal of capitalism only works when the companies which have made their money on the old model aren't fighting tooth and nail to keep said old model in effect.

EDIT: Allow me to rephrase that, the ideal of capitalism works best when the companies which have made their money on the old model aren't fighting tooth and nail to keep said old model in effect.

Right until one of said companies or a new company breaks ground on new method and makes gobs of money filling the need and changes the market.

The potential to make money is what drives the market. A company refusing to innovate will be drug along or just die. Government regulations and incentives more often then not work against this process and cost us money. I would rather decide how my money influences a market than let someone else do it for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Right until one of said companies or a new company breaks ground on new method and makes gobs of money filling the need and changes the market.

The potential to make money is what drives the market. A company refusing to innovate will be drug along or just die. Government regulations and incentives more often then not work against this process and cost us money. I would rather decide how my money influences a market than let someone else do it for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

A good example is RIM, they were the top of the business mobile communications market, now they are nearly at the bottom, even my company is dropping them for better phones and networks.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
A bad example is the MPAA lobbyists doing everything they can to force an outdated entertainment system and control upon us.

Just the two sides of the coin.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
A bad example is the MPAA lobbyists doing everything they can to force an outdated entertainment system and control upon us.

Just the two sides of the coin.

No, a better example is oil companies making record profits but still lobbying for and getting taxpayer subsidies and tax breaks. The future for sustainable energy is in solar/wind and experimental technologies. That's where the subsidies should be going to encourage private development. Fossil fuels is a profitable and well established source that doesn't need any taxpayer money or subsidies to continue.

Now I'm not as informed with the technical aspects but Mr. Smith has a great point. The younger generation (under 25) does not sit in front of a TV. They have an electronic device in hand 24/7 and stream almost everything. It's not until this generation is the main market that a la carte cable will be a reality. I want to live in their world. That's where the money should be spent.

And if each channel costs $10 each, it's still a bargain over what I pay now.......I only really watch about 6 channels. I don't need the other 642 that provide crap content anyway.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You have it wrong. There should not be subsidies for such things at all. When the prices go past the consumers' willing to pay point, someone will step in with the solution and make lots of money. The government putting subsidies is them taking your money and picking a winner in a market instead of you spending your money in the way you choose and picking the winner yourself. Look at solar energy. The government subsided them and then gave them to the free market and now the free market is shutting them down so it is your money wasted.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No, a better example is oil companies making record profits but still lobbying for and getting taxpayer subsidies and tax breaks. The future for sustainable energy is in solar/wind and experimental technologies. That's where the subsidies should be going to encourage private development. Fossil fuels is a profitable and well established source that doesn't need any taxpayer money or subsidies to continue.

Now I'm not as informed with the technical aspects but Mr. Smith has a great point. The younger generation (under 25) does not sit in front of a TV. They have an electronic device in hand 24/7 and stream almost everything. It's not until this generation is the main market that a la carte cable will be a reality. I want to live in their world. That's where the money should be spent.

And if each channel costs $10 each, it's still a bargain over what I pay now.......I only really watch about 6 channels. I don't need the other 642 that provide crap content anyway.

Solar and wind get massive subsidies, they aren't profitable and work only under ideal conditions. Oil companies don't get subsidies but do get the same tax breaks my company gets and yes when multiplied they are huge. Oil, coal, and gas are very efficient at driving the engines of our economy, I say let the free market sort it out. History has already proven that central command and control is not the answer. The invisible hand will show the way unless someone stops it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech