Fast boot and no Fast boot the same on ICS?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I decided to test how fast it boots with and without fast boot. They both restart in the same amount of time. Anyone else experience the same? Before ICS, without fast boot enabled, a restart would take 4 to 5 minutes. Now, about 1:40 give or take a few seconds. Kind of feels like you can't turn off fast boot now?

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I decided to test how fast it boots with and without fast boot. They both restart in the same amount of time. Anyone else experience the same? Before ICS, without fast boot enabled, a restart would take 4 to 5 minutes. Now, about 1:40 give or take a few seconds. Kind of feels like you can't turn off fast boot now?

Yeah it does indeed appear to be about the same. I turned it off anyway because I don't like the thought it might screw with anything but I am definitely pleased with how fast ICS boots.

I am currently running a custom rom based on the last global leak and just for z n giggles I timed it from off to fully booted up and it did it in 38 seconds...and as mentioned above..that's with fastboot turned OFF

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for testing it, and the info. A couple apps are not stable for me, I wonder if it is because fast boot is always on now?

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for testing it, and the info. A couple apps are not stable for me, I wonder if it is because fast boot is always on now?

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

It can cause issues. Also doesn't allow the phone to completely cycle. I don't recommend using fast boot

sent from my Rezound

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people are understanding what I am saying. My phone boots in the same amount of time with or without fast boot. Apps stay running (loaded in memory) if I have fast boot unchecked but restart my phone. Before ics, a restart with fast boot unchecked shut down all apps, and took almost 5 minutes, not the 1:40 it takes now. So my point is, in my case, I don't think fast boot can be unchecked. Even though I have it unchecked.

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's what's happening. I wondered about that too when I was on the earlier leaks. Under gingerbread, fast boot made a world of difference but I never used it because of the side effects. Under ICS, I noticed that the boot times were much improved and so I began to wonder if the switch for fast boot was broken. I did some additional testing that included pulling the battery. The phone still boots in roughly 90 seconds with or without fast boot checked, and returns the same times starting from a pulled battery.. again, with or without fast boot checked.

Since my Thunderbolt days, I've never left fast boot checked. I concluded turning it on for the Rezound didn't have any benefit, so I still don't use to this day. For my part, this is more proof ICS really cleaned up a few issues with Android.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
What I don't get, is even with a battery pull, some apps don't seem to be stopped. Like chrome, if I had 8 tabs open, and do a battery pull, those 8 tabs ate still there when I open chrome.

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
What I don't get, is even with a battery pull, some apps don't seem to be stopped. Like chrome, if I had 8 tabs open, and do a battery pull, those 8 tabs ate still there when I open chrome.

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

I think that's just an ICS thing honestly. I've noticed the same thing with the stock browser too. If I've got three tabs open I can shut down and power up and the same three are still there. In fact I've gone days without using the phone browser and I do a fresh boot every morning when I get up...so after a few days I went to use the browser, hit the app and up came the last thing I was looking at almost a week and several power cycles ago. The only way to close the damn things is to actually bring up all the tabs and close them one by one.

Reactions: jimbl

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

There is no possible way the app doesn't close with a battery pull. What's happening here is a simple save state. The idea is to make it look like the browser never closed by using, essentially, a session restore feature. =)

Android has better multitasking than the iPhone, but it can only do so much with the limited resources on a phone, so it basically solves the problem the same way: close the app, but remember the state. This works ok but obviously it's not a perfect solution as some apps go right back to home instead of where you left them. But it does work with the browser. You'll notice the browser actually did close when it needs a network connection to reload each tab as you select them.

Most browsers on Android save your state by default and don't give you a choice about it.. so if you want those tabs closed for good, you need to do it manually.

Reactions: jimbl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers