How to re-install stock ROM on my rooted Rezound?

jeffmartinaz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. A few months back I became impatient waiting for the update for the Rezound and so I rooted and installed a ROM on it. Now that the Rezound has been updated, I would like to switch back to stock to be able to receive future updates without having to install custom ROMs. I've screwed up more than my share of devices and am becoming a little gunshy. Here are my questions.I have CMW installed and am very comfortable using it. Shouldn't I be able to download, save stock ROM, and then navigate to it and install? I don't want to try anything until I can find an expert to confirm. Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeff

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. A few months back I became impatient waiting for the update for the Rezound and so I rooted and installed a ROM on it. Now that the Rezound has been updated, I would like to switch back to stock to be able to receive future updates without having to install custom ROMs. I've screwed up more than my share of devices and am becoming a little gunshy. Here are my questions.I have CMW installed and am very comfortable using it. Shouldn't I be able to download, save stock ROM, and then navigate to it and install? I don't want to try anything until I can find an expert to confirm. Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeff

Do you want to unroot the phone and go back to stock? Or you just want a stock rom?

jeffmartinaz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I'd need to stay rooted is for the use of a good tethering program. The ROM I have now has one built in. I'm sure there are good non-root-required tethering apps out there, but I haven't found them. So...root/non-root doesn't really matter if I can tether. Do I need to un-root to install a stock Verizon/HTC rom?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My advice is to relock and run the 3.14.605.12 RUU. Way more efficient than going back to stock and doing the OTA. You will lose any data/apps you have installed(not the SD card just phone memory) but it's way more worthwhile.

jeffmartinaz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
How do I relock it? To unlock I just followed the wizard on the HTC site. I foudn the RUU you referenced. After doing this, will I be able to receive future updates? Thanks for your help.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The future updates is still up in the air..You should but there haven't been any to prove it yet. To relock, you need to reboot your phone into HBOOT, plug into your PC and open a command prompt. CD to whatever directory you have fastboot.exe in and run the command "fastboot oem lock" It may say that it failed but run the command a second time and it should say successful.

jeffmartinaz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
OK...I'm 90% there. I have my command prompt open and I'm in the fastboot directory menu. I have the phone in HBOOT menu. I type the command fastboot oem lock and I get the messages on the cmd screen telling me "waiting for device." Am I doing anything wrong? Just sits there. Thanks again for your help.

jeffmartinaz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I got it locked, but now I have another problem. Obviously it won't me boot back to my CleanROM, but It won't let me boot to recovery either. Just keeps looping back to the menu screen. I know it's relocked because of the pretty pink text at the top telling me so. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck.

***update*** I just went back and unlocked it again and I'm back up and running, but still don't know why I can't get to recover. IDEAS???

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I got it locked, but now I have another problem. Obviously it won't me boot back to my CleanROM, but It won't let me boot to recovery either. Just keeps looping back to the menu screen. I know it's relocked because of the pretty pink text at the top telling me so. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck.

***update*** I just went back and unlocked it again and I'm back up and running, but still don't know why I can't get to recover. IDEAS???

Did you run the ruu? If you did then stock recovery is now installed and you will have to reinstall custom recovery.

Try re flashing recovery?

Also cwm is not recommended on the Rezound. Amon ra works better and does not suffer from the issues cwm does. A word to the wise...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
NoYankees is dead on here. If you relock the bootloader you HAVE to run the RUU. Your phone will not boot properly with custom recovery and a locked bootloader.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
You ran into the small issue I did a few months back... put the RUU on the SD card and throw it on in the root dir. then you can relock the device and flash it(the ruu).. Twice!

mull3232

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
i bought a htc rezound and its clearly rooted i went to download the ics update and it wont get passed the white htc screen i can get into the bootloader menu it says LOCKED then VIGOR PVT SHIP S-OFF RL then HBOOT-2.27.0000 then RADIO 2.22.10.0801r/2/22/10.0803r then open DSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507 emmc-boot aug 6 2012 , ive never done this before and want the rezound back to stock so i can use it please please help me if u can walk me thru it text me 740-817-2417 thanks!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
i bought a htc rezound and its clearly rooted i went to download the ics update and it wont get passed the white htc screen i can get into the bootloader menu it says LOCKED then VIGOR PVT SHIP S-OFF RL then HBOOT-2.27.0000 then RADIO 2.22.10.0801r/2/22/10.0803r then open DSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507 emmc-boot aug 6 2012 , ive never done this before and want the rezound back to stock so i can use it please please help me if u can walk me thru it text me 740-817-2417 thanks!
You are S-OFF, so if memory serves me correctly you can safely just install a stock RUU the old fashioned way, copy to SD card root, rename to PH98IMG.zip and reboot into the bootloader, should be automatic from there.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So, what is the most current stock ruu.
I followed Mr Smith's guide to root. Wanted tether .
I'm now looking to stop the anytime it wants to
System update. The update downloading and leaving the phone
At Amanda screens has left me in a pickle 3 times now.

I have disabled some of the Verizon bloat apps on my phone.
Could that be why automatic update keeps failing?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The latest "official" RUU I am aware of 3.14.605.12 and is available on Android Police's website.

If you followed Mr Smith's guide, then you are S-On and have a custom bootloader (Amon Ra, TWRP, or CWM Touch), and they is why the update keeps failing, you have to have the stock bootloader to update. If you are S-On there are special instructions to go back, but I can't seem to find them right now, sorry.

James Blodgett

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to go back to stock after rooting & installing CyanogenMod 10.1.3.1 (Vigor) & it failed, it said something like HBOOT is older. I'm using TWRP for recovery.
I had the device relocked when I did it. I have a photo of what it said, I'll see if I can put it with this message. I also tried istalling the .exe one with my computer. I got the URR from Android Police.HBOOT 11-28-2013.jpg

James Blodgett

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
For now I'll continue using CyanogenMod, I flashed gapps so I'm able to get apps. But the apps don't know my location even though I have it enabled.
My screen is cracked & I have phone insurance hopefully I'll be able to get a new device, if I do I'm not going to mess with it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There is no RUU for the current firmware (the one you are on)... the only way to get back to PURE stock is to S-OFF and RUU back to 3.14.605.12 then step-up from there.

However, if you are looking to return to stock try [ROM] OTA-Global-Stock-4.05.605.14 710RD-Rooted 5/1/13 - xda-developers, it is completely stock with only root added, it will fool almost anyone and return the device to as stock as you can get without going S-OFF.