Any way to have the GPS turn on automatcally when maps start? Is there a APP?

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just leave it on all the time. It only turns on when an app asks for it, so as long as nothing is pinging your location all the time, battery is affected little.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing, I used Navigation for the first time, it asked for both GPS and Verizon location services to be turned on. is Maps the same as the Navigation app?

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I still see my GPS coming on for a few seconds then shuts off. I wish there was a program that will turn it on as soon as maps starts. I know the Iphone does that. My son reminds me yet another reason to get a IPHONE dad. GRRRRR!!!!!!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I still see my GPS coming on for a few seconds then shuts off. I wish there was a program that will turn it on as soon as maps starts. I know the Iphone does that. My son reminds me yet another reason to get a IPHONE dad. GRRRRR!!!!!!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your problem is. I leave my gps on all the time, in fact, I may have never shut it off. When I go into google maps, the gps starts up (I can see it on the notification bar). When I exit, gps shuts off, no extra app to do this. What happens when you go into navigation, does it turn on and stay on there? In maps, is it finding your location to a few meters? If it's finding you to a few meters, it is probably working fine?

---------- Post Merged at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 PM ----------

I was wondering the same thing, I used Navigation for the first time, it asked for both GPS and Verizon location services to be turned on. is Maps the same as the Navigation app?

You don't NEED the verizon or google location services turned on, gps is fine... unless you want to find a gas station, or a business. I believe google location is needed for searching on the map, I'm not sure exactly what the verizon location is for... possibly the same thing, for searching?

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but even with maps not open it will still come on for a few seconds here and there.

Probably an app or website requesting your location. Facebook being the first app that comes to mind, and I've noticed quite a few websites asking permission lately. You can download Gsam battery monitor and it should tell you exactly how long gps is being used each day. If I remember, when I checked, gps was turned on for 15 seconds in a 14 hour day.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Google blocked access to the GPS framework in ICS and higher, so you'll need to be rooted to automatically toggle GPS on/off (Tasker or AutomateIt Pro). Unlike the iPhone, ICS and higher does this automatically (make sure you tell your son). Twolastnames is right, even though it is always on, it does not use battery until it is activated by an app that requires it when opening or if an app is pinging in the back round. With the GPS coming on "a few seconds here and there", will have little drain on your battery.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Google blocked access to the GPS framework in ICS and higher, so you'll need to be rooted to automatically toggle GPS on/off (Tasker or AutomateIt Pro). Unlike the iPhone, ICS and higher does this automatically (make sure you tell your son). Twolastnames is right, even though it is always on, it does not use battery until it is activated by an app that requires it when opening or if an app is pinging in the back round. With the GPS coming on "a few seconds here and there", will have little drain on your battery.
Yup, and if it is coming on periodically that means an app is calling for that information, most apps that do this can be told not to but you will have to figure out what app is doing it. Facebook and Latitude (part of Maps) are two common culprits, note that Facebook will use the GPS occasionally even when the location settings are turned off within the app. But joedirt2217 is correct, if it is only turning on occasionally for a few seconds, it shouldn't be a significant drain on the battery at all.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How do I tell FB not to do this?
Open Facebook app, then Menu button-Settings-Messenger location services, then untick Location on and press OK.

But the weird part is that is will still access the GPS periodically unless you use a task manager to kill the FB app AND you have notifications turned off (if they are turned on FB will just respawn after you kill it). In my mind, Facebook is one of those misbehaved apps that we just kind of put up with.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to look at this, because I haven't seen anything since before GB that could override Android/Google's lockout of apps controlling GPS state. I have Tasker and that was one of the reasons I got it was to control GPS. It still does a lot but not being able to control GPS just plan sucks. I wouldn't even hate it so much if you didn't have to agree to that little thing every daWn time. I haven't noticed it lately but right after GB when you would have to agree to that other daWn thing if GPS was on when you powered up the phone. And the fact that you had to do it even if you said not to ask again blew donkeys too. After saying all of this I hope I haven't be come complacent with it and, like people can't smell their own houses, have just been over looking it because it's there all of the time. Now that it's been brought up I'll start smelling it. Yeah I know custom ROM. As much as I'd like to go that route there's something wrong with every OS. Stock unrooted has it's limitations, ROMs have their strengths and always seem to fall short somewhere else, so it always comes down to what you're willing to live with.

Anyway, thanks Duniti I'll check it out. If it works I'll push Tasker devs to figure out how they did it, cause even they say to root and install a custom ROM.

Update
Checked it out and you must root if you are 2.3 GB or higher Android. So basically worthless.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech