At a Rezound crossroads...

fiend2386

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my rezound now for about 6 months and while I absolutely love most things about the phone, every since the ICS update there have been little things that have grown insufferable. Between text messages not sending, my battery life dropping to 4 hours max off charge, losing data (wifi included) connection frequently that requires a reboot, and visual voicemail NEVER remembering my login information (only annoying because it doesn't tell me when I have a message) I've gotten increasingly frustrated with the phone. I've talked to the ever helpful tech support, and have gone through all the forum solutions of doing the hboot factory reset twice now, and the issues still pop up after a couple weeks. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do I go through the trouble of getting a refurb, or do I try to talk them into switching me to something else? I've dodged the refurb route because of bad experiences with 5 blackberry storms, and 1 htc incredible refurb, but if it's the best option I can do it. And as far as the replacement phone, from what I'm told my only other options would be the nexus or razor, which I kind of disagree with in principle because the rezound and the s3 are the same price on the website. The razor is a no go simply because I'm biased, and I've never played with a nexus. Is a nexus comparable to the rezound hardware wise? I know the rom-ing abilities and fun stuff is there, but I love my screen, camera, and overall build quality. Sorry for the essay, but I'm not sure if I want to turn my back on my baby yet, and if I do I didn't know whether to go the refurb route or replacment route.

Also, I know that I should root and rom, and while not against it, I just don't know if I want to go that route again. My Storm and my Inc were on different builds every week, and i was very rarely satisfied with what I had. I don't know if I want to start the addiction again, and wade through all sorts of roms before finding one I'll like for more than a week. If anyone has rom suggestions, I'm all ears, but I haven't seen any that blow me away and retain some stock functionality (vvm, sense widgets, etc).

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
NilsP and his sense 4 rom. Stable, fast, smooth, and most importantly, feels finished. I dont know about vvm and what roms support it. You'll get differing opinions on refurbs, so you'll probably be making that decision on your own.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
At this point, I would reflash an RUU, it sounds to me like something in the update didn't take correctly. There are basically two that will work at the point you are at, the "official" version 3.14.605.12 or the new Global Mode leak 4.3.605.2 (definitely my choice, but likely won't be able to get future OTAs). I would reflash one of them, twice, then try again... if the problems persist then a refurb might be the route to go, because if you are having that much trouble, I don't think just going to custom ROM is going to fix it for you, you need to get a stock ROM to run stably first before trying a third-party one or if you have problems you won't know if it's the ROM or the hardware.

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am in the exact same situation as you. Before the update I was dealing with the bootloader looping issue. After the update its pretty much the same problems you are having. The Rezound is garbage in my book right now. I was hoping to swap to a razr m but was told my only options were the original razr or the nexus. One of my lines is up for renewal on Sunday. I was going to use it for a Lumia 920 but Verizon does not appear to be getting it. I may just give in and go the iphone 5 route because i have been far from impressed with Android lately.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am in the exact same situation as you. Before the update I was dealing with the bootloader looping issue. After the update its pretty much the same problems you are having. The Rezound is garbage in my book right now. I was hoping to swap to a razr m but was told my only options were the original razr or the nexus. One of my lines is up for renewal on Sunday. I was going to use it for a Lumia 920 but Verizon does not appear to be getting it. I may just give in and go the iphone 5 route because i have been far from impressed with Android lately.
If my plan was up this weekend and I was tired of the Rezound for whatever reason, I would get either a Samsung Galaxy S3, Razr Maxx, or a Razr M. Remember you can renew your plan and get your "discount" through online resellers of Verizon like Amazon or Letstalk.Com and usually save extra on the device itself, I have gotten my last 3 or 4 phones from letstalk.com and it has been a flawless transition, just watch the insurance thing.

Most people who have a high-end Android phone that go to the iPhone regret it, a handful of people in our office have done it and they all say they feel like they went back in time 5 years.

Windows phone... this made me lulz greatly that someone would actually consider going from Android to this. I had two people at work try it, they returned it in less than 48 hours, and one friend has an HTC Trophy and decided to give it some time to "work out the kinks", hates it after 3 months of trying and is going to buy something else on Swappa and try to sell the Trophy.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
See Rebel those be fighting words..

with the lack of information provided I can only assume that you have not tried the most basic of troubleshooting steps. With that in mind the only issue I have ever had with the Rerzounds is a battery life issue... I fixed that with power chargers and a extended battery. Now for the Battery dying in less then 4 hours or texts not sending you could have a faulty chip or you could be in a very poor 4g/3g area. Not all area are created equal

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't discount the nexus. It is a good phone. I'd say the rezound has a slight edge in the camera department and maybe a very very slight edge in the screen (that varies by opinion). The nexus on the other hand feels a bit snappier especially with jelly bean. The battery life on the nexus is a bit better as well. Other than those things the phones are comparable as far as specs go.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't discount the nexus. It is a good phone. I'd say the rezound has a slight edge in the camera department and maybe a very very slight edge in the screen (that varies by opinion). The nexus on the other hand feels a bit snappier especially with jelly bean. The battery life on the nexus is a bit better as well. Other than those things the phones are comparable as far as specs go.
I would not buy the Nexus as a new device right now... as a warranty or insurance replacement I would take one if the situation was right, but the response was for someone getting a NEW device, the newer Motorolas or Samsungs are clearly superior to the Nexus unless you are a ROM flashing freak. :p

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I would not buy the Nexus as a new device right now... as a warranty or insurance replacement I would take one if the situation was right, but the response was for someone getting a NEW device, the newer Motorolas or Samsungs are clearly superior to the Nexus unless you are a ROM flashing freak. :p

I wouldn't buy one either. The OP said that one of his options for a replacement is a nexus. That's what I was referring to. It's not a bad option for a replacement. I ended up with a nexus because I had issues with my Bionic and Verizon offered to replace with either a nexus or razr.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't buy one either. The OP said that one of his options for a replacement is a nexus. That's what I was referring to. It's not a bad option for a replacement. I ended up with a nexus because I had issues with my Bionic and Verizon offered to replace with either a nexus or razr.

Guess I was actually replying to what rebelguy said earlier, not the OP, with this post... I should have been clearer, my bad. The Nexus is a very capable device that is comparable as a warranty/insurance replacement for the Rezound.

tiberius72

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya.

I am not far from breaking point either.
I am on stock and ICS. I am thinking about the Global RUU - but I seen folks say a wide range of things from great to made things worse. So I am undecided.

Now that I have stopped traveling for a few weeks I am going to try a factory reset and run with no apps. I currently get about 6 hrs tops from my standard battery. I used to get better before the update.

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
See Rebel those be fighting words..

with the lack of information provided I can only assume that you have not tried the most basic of troubleshooting steps. With that in mind the only issue I have ever had with the Rerzounds is a battery life issue... I fixed that with power chargers and a extended battery. Now for the Battery dying in less then 4 hours or texts not sending you could have a faulty chip or you could be in a very poor 4g/3g area. Not all area are created equal

Sorry but I did do all the troubleshooting. I am actually on my second Rezound after the ICS update. Both of them had the same issues. Tech support mentioned that another update was being released soon so I may wait. Maybe the replacement Nexus will be a good holdover until I decide on something better.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I did do all the troubleshooting. I am actually on my second Rezound after the ICS update. Both of them had the same issues. Tech support mentioned that another update was being released soon so I may wait. Maybe the replacement Nexus will be a good holdover until I decide on something better.

I have called Verizon support 3 or 4 times over the years for problems with my phone. Every single time they have told me a software update was about to come out. The software updates never came or were veeeery slow in coming. I think that's their first line no matter what just to get you off their back.

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have called Verizon support 3 or 4 times over the years for problems with my phone. Every single time they have told me a software update was about to come out. The software updates never came or were veeeery slow in coming. I think that's their first line no matter what just to get you off their back.

That's what I figured. Mainly because after calling tech support two more times neither of the other people knew about any update.

On a plus side they did offer to replace my Rezound with an Incredible 4G. I told them to note it on my account and I would think about it. I am slowly working my way to a Galaxy S3...haha.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
That's what I figured. Mainly because after calling tech support two more times neither of the other people knew about any update.

On a plus side they did offer to replace my Rezound with an Incredible 4G. I told them to note it on my account and I would think about it. I am slowly working my way to a Galaxy S3...haha.

Haha nice. I have actually heard of someone getting their Galaxy Nexus replaced with an S3, although I'm sure that had to be a mistake on the tech's part.

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I ultimately ended up taking the Incredible 4G as a warranty replacement on my Rezound. I got it in yesterday and it is a great phone and I am glad I made the switch. Everything seems to be working as it should. My only complaint is the constant wi-fi notification but I can deal with it.