Anyone use their Rezound in Europe with a Prepaid SIM?

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of the threads but finding it hard find information about actual usage in Europe. I am leaving on a business trip to Europe and wondering if I can use a prepaid SIM in my Rezound. My Rezound is stock. Just wondering if anyone has used their Rezound in Europe with an European prepaid SIM card.

Thanks

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is a way to set the phone up as a world phone, but it is not that way out of the box. Verizon has forever said that they would open it up, but they havent yet. If you want some options let me know or you can check out XDA for the thread

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of the threads but finding it hard find information about actual usage in Europe. I am leaving on a business trip to Europe and wondering if I can use a prepaid SIM in my Rezound. My Rezound is stock. Just wondering if anyone has used their Rezound in Europe with an European prepaid SIM card.

Thanks

Easiest way is to flash the latest leaked ruu. The global capabilities are opened up on it. As I understand after that, all you need is a sim card from whatever carrier your gonna use.

May have to check the site that cant be named, as quite a few dudes over there use the world phone.

tiberius72

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I was in the UK and Spain this summer. I was there during the ICS update - so I was still on GB. For voice calls can be made no problem. Txt and Data was the problem. Make sure you have the LTE On/Off app - this will allow you to quickly select the type of network.

In London I got a sim card from giffgaff. A sim will arrive to wherever you are in a matter of days - I sent to my parents house in London.

I would say that you are still better off flashing the Global RUU update. It will be give you txt, data and obviously voice.

Good luck.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Whatever happens, please come back here after the trip and let us know how things went. There is a lot of conflicting assumptions about what a global Rezound can and cannot do.

Thank you.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Word.

I travel to Europe quite frequently but I always use a Nokia quad band phone when I'm over there. The last time I went the global leak wasn't available yet so I'd be curious to hear if it now accepts Euro simcards as it should. Please keep us in the loop!

teckels

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I used my rezound in Ireland. I flashed global ruu after Verizon telling me that it is still not a global phone. I got off the plane and bought a Meteor prepaird sim, said to be the best in Ireland. I plugged it in, got a new number, and called to activate. From there I could make calls and text. Then I went to hotel, got the Meteor APN settings and put them in. Then I had data! It was pretty easy. The phone did lose coverage often and would show the time as Nov. 30th, 1999. When I came back into the states I had to flash a new rom and enter the verizon apn settings that were hard to find. They are somewhere in xda. Global RUU and APN settings is all you need to worry about. Let me know if I missed anything.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Good to know teckels. It's discouraging that you had to do more than pop in a prepaid SIM. I mean, if it's a global phone, it ought to be simple.

I wonder if the process will be simpler after the global feature is official.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good to know teckels. It's discouraging that you had to do more than pop in a prepaid SIM. I mean, if it's a global phone, it ought to be simple.

I wonder if the process will be simpler after the global feature is official.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Once it is officially a global phone, switching to gsm should be easy. Until then, gsm isn't officially supported so expect issues.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

gkuypers

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Once it is officially a global phone, switching to gsm should be easy. Until then, gsm isn't officially supported so expect issues.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Hopefully this happens before the end of November when I leave for my trip which will require GSM radios. I purchased this phone after seeing on the Verizon website that it would soon be Global and that was months ago.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this happens before the end of November when I leave for my trip which will require GSM radios. I purchased this phone after seeing on the Verizon website that it would soon be Global and that was months ago.

I thought I learned that lesson when I bought the fascinate w/ a promised os update - but I fell for it again with the ICS update promised soon for the rezound. 10 months later we got it... At least the rezound is a solid performer...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

gkuypers

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
From experience, I would not rely on Verizon updating, set yourself up to succeed it's not that hard.

I've tried to manually update to the Global Leak, but have not had any success. I'm stock with the latest OTA update. I downloaded the Global Leak and renamed it PH98IMG.zip, put it on the ext_sd, turned on holding the volume down plus Power then it takes me to the HBoot screen where it starts to load the file, but says loading, then no image. I have downloaded the leak from more than one download site but have the same results. If this would work I would love to update to the Global Leak.

Last edited:

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that on My Verizon it says that I am eligible to select the global feature. I am surprised that when I hit check eligibility that it came back eligible. Maybe they just want me to pay for a feature I cannot use.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that on My Verizon it says that I am eligible to select the global feature. I am surprised that when I hit check eligibility that it came back eligible. Maybe they just want me to pay for a feature I cannot use.

Where on My Verizon did you see it? I could find no such thing.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Most Verizon phones have some degree of "Global" use, depending on where you are going... there are some countries that use CDMA that Verizon has roaming agreements with and Verizon has some of their own equipment in popular tourist destinations worldwide and on some cruise ships, so it doesn't surprise me that it is listed as "eligible" for global roaming, even my old LG enV had some global mode capability.

Also, I am pretty sure you can only see this on the My Verizon website, not through the android app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude