Asurion sent me a refurb... and a new SIM... Why?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I broke the screen in my Rezound pretty bad and ponied up the $99 for an insurance replacement from Asurion, that is all fine and dandy, got a refurb and it looks fine but time will tell if it's any good (going to flash in Global Mode leak right off the bat)... But they sent me a new SIM card, do I have to activate it or can I just save it for later use and continue to use my existing one? Anyone have any experience or insight on this?

I would think I can just swap my existing SIM into the replacement and be good to go, or is there some reason I should activate the new one?

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The Sim Card might have been for a just in case. If the phone works properly under the old SIM i wouldn't worry about the other.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The phone works properly for the most part... other than the broken glass I had a few issues with ANY data connection initially (WiFi and 4G) but a battery pull reset seemed to clear that up (may have been an improperly seated back cover issue after the drop), and the battery has been draining about twice the normal rate and running very warm, staying at 90F-95F all the time and easily pushing 115F-120F under normal use which is about 10-20 degrees higher than it had been (70F at idle and 100F or so under load). GSam notes nothing unusual draining the battery so I am assuming hardware issue. Guess I will try it with the existing SIM and see if I have any trouble, should be easy enough to swap it out if I have any trouble later.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got my "new" phone up and running, flashed the Global Mode RUU three or four times and factory reset several times and couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect to anything or set anything up, then the light bulb went on and I remembered that it comes up as Global Mode by default... changed it to CDMA/LTE and rebooted and all was good.

So far haven't seen any real issues with this one, proximity sensor works, holds solid signal, not getting too warm (about like last one), so after the first few hours seems like a decent one. :) Too early to tell on battery life yet though... Only real issue I seem to be having is the Power and Vol controls are harder to press on this one, but a new Seidio Active series case should be here tomorrow and will help with that.

So, either I got lucky (so far) or Asurion has gotten better than it was 4-5 years ago.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad its working well for you. Verizon does recommend a new SIM when you get a replacement or new upgrade. Like anything they can go bad. When they sent me my Rezound to replace the bolt I did get a new SIM

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned Global. Mine doesn't have that option. Still waiting on that update. Not that I would use it but in case would be nice to have

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned Global. Mine doesn't have that option. Still waiting on that update. Not that I would use it but in case would be nice to have

No they have not released it officially yet, there is a way to flash it if you really want it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but I can wait. I was just wondering. I had thought Verizon would had released it. They have said they have it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I flashed the Global Mode leak before I even started is I had been running it for a month on my old phone, saw a increase in battery life (not huge, but noticeable) on my old phone so wanted to start with that... it is very stable so figured I would stick with it. Other than the battery life and a few bug fixes, there isn't any real reason to use it in the US unless you want to try to move it to another carrier.

So far so good though, got my Seidio Active series case, pretty nice actually, screen protector installed, and the apps and music I use everyday... Nice to not be holding broken glass up to my ear. :D