DNA HERE!!

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So the 2.0 aperture is better than 2.6

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

That is mostly correct. Contrary to most intuition, a larger number represents a smaller aperture. Thus, an aperture of 16 (f16) lets in less light than an aperture of 4 (f4). BUT The smaller the aperture, the smaller the depth of field. For example, a close-up portrait at f8 will create a crisp picture with the entire face in focus, whereas the same picture at f1.8 might only have the nose or the eyes in focus, while the rest of the face is blurred. This is one of the reasons that Cellphone Camera's are not the best solution for photography :) Each step allows in double the amount of light as the previous

1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 (IE 2.0 should be better in low light situations then 2.8)

here is a good easy article on it
Focal Length and Aperture Explained for the Photography Novice :Digital Photography Tutorials

here is the OMG article on it
A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the primer I gotta read through it later

Back to the DNA, did you guys see it has a rear notification light and can be used on at with hspa+

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
There is no way verizon ships it like that. Not saying the dev won't get it to work, but it is not going to be like that OOTB

Actually yes, that's the impression that's being put out there. That it will ship SIM unlocked out of the box.

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I should note that HTC gave us the phones, with the desire that we answer as many questions as possible. From the comments, I have seen HTC needs some help to re-build their reputation, particularly around battery life. While a bigger battery would seem to be a requirement, I think HTC went for an optimized size. People are claiming the 2020 battery is too small, but, I think they need to give it a try before slamming it.

This^ (I also got the phone from elevate)

Ohh, and any word on USB hosting? Even though it would piss me off to no end, using a USB stick would be a crappy option to help with the memory. I know HTC is not keen on USB hosting, but one can hope.

It does work

No go for me. I'm getting the Note 2. Biggest thing for me is the non removable battery.

Space is the only negative for me but to each their own :)

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This^ (I also got the phone from elevate)

It does work

Space is the only negative for me but to each their own :)

I agree 100% with nightangel79. The cover on the micro usb port is kind of questionable, but, it will keep water out.

Also, since our phones came from HTC, phones shipped from Verizon might be configured slightly different (i.e. s-on).

ApexPredation

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
... The DNA will outlast a rezound (with std battery) by a huge margin.

This is my experience too. The battery is great. I have been pushing it hard today, lots of web browsing, full brightness on, 30 min of gaming, played with the camera, several youtube videos, showed it off... 70% of that on 3bars of 4G, I will say about twice as much as normal use because I just cant put it down. I am at 8hours 26min with 36% left. I mention the 3 bars 4G because I was lucky to get 2 with the Galaxy Nexus and it would flip back and forth to 3G and back. Its a weak area here. and I know that a weak zone makes your devise work harder. The DROID DNA is preforming great so far.

laker_fan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm another DNA "tester" from HTC. I can attest to the battery life. I forgot to plug mine in last night and it made it 25 hours with 6% left. That's with me showing it off and playing around. My Rezound (standard battery) would usually die at about 13 hours. According to Battery Monitor Widget, it was dropping 1.4% per hour last night sitting on my counter with my normal stuff still syncing.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is my experience too. The battery is great. I have been pushing it hard today, lots of web browsing, full brightness on, 30 min of gaming, played with the camera, several youtube videos, showed it off... 70% of that on 3bars of 4G, I will say about twice as much as normal use because I just cant put it down. I am at 8hours 26min with 36% left. I mention the 3 bars 4G because I was lucky to get 2 with the Galaxy Nexus and it would flip back and forth to 3G and back. Its a weak area here. and I know that a weak zone makes your devise work harder. The DROID DNA is preforming great so far.

You mentioned that you played around with the camera. I have a Rezound and there have been times when I use my phone at an event for taking pictures and wow, my battery can be drained in about three hours and I don't even download the pictures to dropbox until I am back on wifi. If you get a chance to spend a few hours taking pictures, please let me know how the battery reacts.
Thanks!!

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
In don't doubt some can get good battery life.....but I just can't get past the numbers. A phone that size with the resolution it has needs something more than what amounts to be a standard size extended battery on a much smaller phone. I'll go with the note 2 with a whopping larger battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ApexPredation

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned that you played around with the camera. I have a Rezound and there have been times when I use my phone at an event for taking pictures and wow, my battery can be drained in about three hours and I don't even download the pictures to dropbox until I am back on wifi. If you get a chance to spend a few hours taking pictures, please let me know how the battery reacts.
Thanks!!

I'll try and do that soon. I love taking pictures so I'm hoping for a good outcome. My rezound was a failure when it came to battery life. Especially with photography.

Sent from my DROID DNA

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This is isn't answering any questions, but, accesories for the DNA are available at Verizon Stores. I bought a silicon case - pretty standard, though, one criticism, is that since the power button is on top in the middle, and, the micro-usb is on the bottom, also, in the middle, I cannot easily distinguish the top from the bottom when the phone is in my pocket. The power button was offset with the rezound, so, it was pretty easy to find.

lloydjr95

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd love this phone if it wasn't for the small amount of storage. I have over 16gb of music and take lots of pictures with my Rezound and it still does everything I need it to. I just want the DNA for all the techy reasons. :)

Sent from my Rezound using Android Central Forums

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It does work
Wait... USB Hosting works out of the box (with the correct cable, I assume)??? So I could plug it into a powered hub in my car with a 64GB thumb drive also attached, it will charge and access the thumb drive (full of music) and I can BT to the car stereo all at the same time???

I am like most others here I guess, question the battery but will give it time to see how it pans out in reality... The real issue for me is storage space, 16GB (11GB user accessible according to AP) is just too small for such a power house, now if it came in a 32GB or 64GB version... or even a 128GB versions... I would sing it's praises on Mt. Olympus!!!

Android Planet: Initial Impressions Of The DROID DNA: This Could Be The DROID You're Looking For

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd love this phone if it wasn't for the small amount of storage. I have over 16gb of music and take lots of pictures with my Rezound and it still does everything I need it to. I just want the DNA for all the techy reasons. :)

Sent from my Rezound using Android Central Forums

Have you ever thought about moving your massive music library off to Google Music? And HOLY $%^& that's a lot of music. I came close to 8GB once. That was when all my music was flac before converting back to MP3 for sheer portability.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar