DNA vs Razr Maxx HD

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I will pay full price so I want to spend right. Both phones have good specs but the moto seems to have better battery, larger internal storage and a removable sd card.

From what I have read blur has also been significantly reduced. Both will have jelly bean but I wonder if the Razr would get the next upgrade as where the DNA probably wouldn't.

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
well you cant really compare these phones. both great. i got the dna 3 days ago, and let me say the screen is honestly the nicest thing ive seen on any phone ever. but the battery life is not tht great, especially with heavy useage. its only decent. also ive held bothe phone and the dna has a better feel but is a little bigger. so if you are going to want a good battery, just go with the razr, but if battery isnt such an issue, go with the dna. better ui, screen, is faster and feels better. either one youll get youll love though.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
well you cant really compare these phones. both great. i got the dna 3 days ago, and let me say the screen is honestly the nicest thing ive seen on any phone ever. but the battery life is not tht great, especially with heavy useage. its only decent. also ive held bothe phone and the dna has a better feel but is a little bigger. so if you are going to want a good battery, just go with the razr, but if battery isnt such an issue, go with the dna. better ui, screen, is faster and feels better. either one youll get youll love though.

Thanks for some good feedback.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It is fair to compare them, as they are essentially both Verizon's "flagship" models.
The DNA should win on the following:
DNA has a larger, higher res screen.
DNA/HTC has a better camera.
DNA has quad-core vs RAZR's dual-core.
DNA has 2 gig RAM vs RAZR's 1 gig.

Maxx has better radio, including simultaneous voice/data in 3g.
Maxx has more internal storage.
Maxx has external storage available.
Maxx has a battery that will last longer than any other on Verizon.

Basically, you have to decide which is better for your needs. Camera is important to me, but radio performance is more important. If you're strictly in a 4g area, perhaps the radio is less important. I'm sorry to say there's not a perfect hybrid yet that combines the best radio with camera and storage.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It is fair to compare them, as they are essentially both Verizon's "flagship" models.
The DNA should win on the following:
DNA has a larger, higher res screen.
DNA/HTC has a better camera.
DNA has quad-core vs RAZR's dual-core.
DNA has 2 gig RAM vs RAZR's 1 gig.

Maxx has better radio, including simultaneous voice/data in 3g.
Maxx has more internal storage.
Maxx has external storage available.
Maxx has a battery that will last longer than any other on Verizon.

Basically, you have to decide which is better for your needs. Camera is important to me, but radio performance is more important. If you're strictly in a 4g area, perhaps the radio is less important. I'm sorry to say there's not a perfect hybrid yet that combines the best radio with camera and storage.

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the DNA display. You bring up good points on ram and processors. Now to find something I just want.

I can talk and surf at the same time on my Rezound but I don't do it often so not a deal maker or breaker.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Can the dna talk and surf on 3g? It might but I don't know. It can on 4G and wifi

Maxx better radio? I seriously doubt it.

Granted this is with limited use, but I am very unimpressed with the Maxx hd. The one I use was studery and the ui seems to be a cluster mash stock and random moto intrusions. At least with sense you get a unified experience.

The dna on the other hand is gloriously in every manor usability wise. It's a shame it has limited storage and no removable battery, but it hits all the other bases so incredibly well.

If the things in first paragraph of op mean a lot you, then get the Maxx. If you want the better overall devise, get the dna.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The answer to your first question is no, I had that discussion in another thread and it was confirmed. No 3g data and talk

And I agree with you on blur...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I have had nothing but HTC and I have always had great luck with them. I know there are other great phones out there I will just have to download specs and go touch and feel them to make up my mind. Thanks for some honest feedback I knew I could count on this group for that.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Maxx better radio? I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I'm sorry but the fact is the razr HD does have a better radio than the DNA I checked them side by side and honestly my old Rezound radio had more signal strength over the DNA that was the main reason I didn't purchase the DNA I'm use to keeping my Rezound plugged in for the most part to keep it charged and I think I could had delt with the lack of internal and external storage but the radio is what blew it with me. Where I live I have to have a phone with a good radio and in testing the DNA signal strength was about 10 dBm greater than my Rezound which means a lot in a fringe area. The Razr maxx HD I own now radio signal is about 5-6 dBm better than the Rezound. Motorola is known for there radios and I will say mine is great the battery life is awesome considering I'm a heavy user andi can get 12 hrs easily on the maxx with my use. My rezound with same use would only get 4 hrs and it had to be charged and that was with an extended battery and every available useless app disabled as well. Oh one more thing JB is being pushed out to the RM HD this week with some getting it now.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You must have played games for 4 hours with 100% brightness, gps, blue tooth, Facebook syncing every 10 seconds, and microwaving your bagel to drain an extended battery...

At least you have a circumstantial test back up your claim. Most on these forums just go around spouting off about moto radios when they are generally no better than anyone else's anymore(same exact hardware). I have never found a modern phone that gets better reception than my rezound. I've compared it to bionic and razrs and always slightly better or way better.

I'm sorry but moto has nothing interesting anymore other than big batteries. Everything else is the same or worse than everyone else. I guess not to expect much from a company recently acquired. Maybe Google will get them to make cool/innovative stuff again.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The answer to your first question is no, I had that discussion in another thread and it was confirmed. No 3g data and talk

And I agree with you on blur...

Not sure but I am all 3G and right now I called my work voicemail and did a search on the web. So I stand by my statement of 3G voice and data can be done simultaneously on the Rezound. I have also called my wife while I hit send on this post.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure but I am all 3G and right now I called my work voicemail and did a search on the web. So I stand by my statement of 3G voice and data can be done simultaneously on the Rezound. I have also called my wife while I hit send on this post.
If you scour these boards, you'll get a pretty good idea of who can & cannot.
Thunderbolt, Rezound and even the sgs3 can.
DNA and Note2 cannot.
I haven't filled in the rest of Verizon portfolio since I'm not really interested in any other models. (Except the pending LG Optimus Blaze which has virtually dropped out of discussion after being briefly mentioned nearly 2 months ago.)

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You must have played games for 4 hours with 100% brightness, gps, blue tooth, Facebook syncing every 10 seconds, and microwaving your bagel to drain an extended battery...

At least you have a circumstantial test back up your claim. Most on these forums just go around spouting off about moto radios when they are generally no better than anyone else's anymore(same exact hardware). I have never found a modern phone that gets better reception than my rezound. I've compared it to bionic and razrs and always slightly better or way better.

I'm sorry but moto has nothing interesting anymore other than big batteries. Everything else is the same or worse than everyone else. I guess not to expect much from a company recently acquired. Maybe Google will get them to make cool/innovative stuff again.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Actually I sit at work and browse the Internet for most of the night. I use my phones hotspot to tether to my tablet and I do lots of texting, so the screen time is on quiet a bit. On a side note when I'm out riding and don't use the phone other than check time or for messages I can go 10 hrs on about 60% of the battery usage if I cut Bluetooth off and data off I can get 10 hrs on about 40% of the battery.

As for real world results that's what I'm about. Bench and chair talk does me or none of you out there any good when it comes to electronics. I need performance when I need it and where I live I need the best of radios. Another real world example the GNex I purchased it on release day had it less than a week. Returned it for the Rezound and the Rezound would have 4G signal where the GNex wouldn't even get 3G at work I had 4G inside the plant the GNex struggled to stay on 3G at home the Rezound would have 3G and occasionally 4G the GNex no signal at all. The RM HD shows about same at home with 4G but radio signal has more constant bars. Here at work next to my coworkers Rezound my signal strength is as mentioned 4-5 dBm better than his. We were equally the same Rezound vs Rezound. In Verizon my Rezound signal was better than all samsungs products side by side and also the new DNA. I tried to test the new iPhone 5 but I couldn't find there signal strength. The only cell that ever produced better signal strength over the rezound has always been Motorola. One thing I do is turn off the wifi in Verizon stores so its a fair test and still I keep my Rezound in its otterbox when I do side by side tests like that and I sit and allow the signals to stabilize for a few minutes.
I know nothing about motos skins but I can say its very sensitive and fluid, it appears to be less bloated over sense and that's a good thing. So from a real user living in the sticks the two best phones ivenownednto date is the Rezound and the razr maxx HD and I've only had my moto for less than a week so in reality jury is still out on this phone until it gets more use. Also we get JB this week!!!!

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

If you are all about 3G now, the DNA may not be the phone for you. The DNA will be great once you get LTE in your area, but, if you are going to pay full price, I think you would be better off sticking with the Rezound, and, waiting until there is a phone that you have no reservations about buying.

As for future upgrades of the DNA vs. the Maxx. the Maxx is running on an older processor, vs. the DNA, which is running the "latest and greatest" processor. The DNA has the same chipset as the Nexus 4, so, you could imagine that the DNA should get at least one update.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If you are all about 3G now, the DNA may not be the phone for you. The DNA will be great once you get LTE in your area, but, if you are going to pay full price, I think you would be better off sticking with the Rezound, and, waiting until there is a phone that you have no reservations about buying.

As for future upgrades of the DNA vs. the Maxx. the Maxx is running on an older processor, vs. the DNA, which is running the "latest and greatest" processor. The DNA has the same chipset as the Nexus 4, so, you could imagine that the DNA should get at least one update.

Thanks for your points. So far the moto seems like re-badged old hardware. As far as LTE there getting close but it is like anything else who knows. They did run fiber to the tower this summer so I figure it might be in the next six months. A friend of mine suggested waiting until 3g was gone and Qualcomm along with it. Not sure the Rezound will last that long.

Ronald Montes

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Good topic. I am an inovator and owner of a tech support company. I have never been so undecided before because recalling from memory there has never been such a even pro and con list between devices. What I mean to say is that either compromise is very high. I am a motorolow fan and I like that motorolla uses a very vanila ver of Android. I, I'll say it. HATE THE HTC SENSE SKIN! That been said I was sick of my Motorola DROID razr (white) devices horrible battery life. So, my plan on was buying the Motorola DROID razr MAXX HD. But when I got to the store I saw the DNA being featured. I noticed that HTC sense has improved and really complements the new Android update 'jellybean'. I have been really wanting a quad core device. Everything on paper made the DNA very attractive. Especially the extra GB of RAM. It felt really good in my hand and no one will dispute has the highest display quality of any device. I think the physical design is hokie though. In addition, the DNA was about $70 cheaper. That I didn't understand sinse the specs where so much higher than the razr maxx HD. I purchased it. Some of my old time wose regarding HTC sense came back but the only real problem I was having was batery life. I promised my self that batery life would always be my highest prioriety now. I am so sick and tired of right when I really need my phone for something important IT DIES! The DNA batery life was slighty beter than the droid razr (white) however. So, I exchanged the DNA for my first intended choice maxx hd. Immidianlty I missed the awesome screen :( However was relieved wht the more cleaner and effecient UI. However I noticed that now gallery doesnt sync and link to my other online photo albums that blows. Motorolla sucked on support and kept me on hold for half hour before I hung up. I'm truly trying to talk myself into seeing if I can exchange phone one more time and deal with having the monitor the batery life all the time. Gosh, if the maxx could just have the quad core, huge screen and gallery sync (by the way it wasnt the jellybeean update that screwed up gallery because DNA with update still syncs to all online galleries) it would be the perfect phone, oh yeah and the extra GB of RAM to. Decisions, decisions. I don't know. I'm going to call manager at Verizon and see if they will let me exchange one more time. Still undecided. I'm using the heck out of max to see if it is way better in batery life than dna. If it's only just a little better, I'm going to try to exchange for DNA:-\

Ronald Montes

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have had nothing but HTC and I have always had great luck with them. I know there are other great phones out there I will just have to download specs and go touch and feel them to make up my mind. Thanks for some honest feedback I knew I could count on this group for that.

Really, then you never had the Thunderbolt because if you have you would know it that HTC has failed miserably with their devices in the past.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Every one has a dud phone in the past. The one x, rezound, Evo, dna more than make up for it.

And the tb was terrible out of the gate, but it also was the first lte phone on Verizon. There are always issues with products that break new ground. About a year in or so, the tbolt was decent, except the battery

jvolstad

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Every one has a dud phone in the past. The one x, rezound, Evo, dna more than make up for it.

And the tb was terrible out of the gate, but it also was the first lte phone on Verizon. There are always issues with products that break new ground. About a year in or so, the tbolt was decent, except the battery

The Rezound was a dud? I love mine. Not too big, not too small.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar