08-12-2014 08:43 PM
48 12
tools
    Janet

I suspect the main reason why many Android users appear to experience one-way syncs with Outlook.com may be the same reason that I did - I simply hadn't noticed that the Android Calendar app created new events in the Google Calendar by default. No wonder they weren't showing up in Outlook.com!

Thanks for all your helpful posts about the creation of an ActiveSync account. These will be very useful if I eventually install Office 365.
    skatergirl likes this.
    05-20-2013 09:51 AM
    This has been driving me crazy for more than a month. I'd appreciate some help to figure out exactly how to set up the EAS account on my android phone. I do not have an Exchange account, just an outlook.com account. Some stuff synchs and some doesn't. It's crazy!
    Thanks
    05-20-2013 04:31 PM
    The outlook account is an exchange account. Just set it up in new accounts and select exchange. Put in your outlook address and password and it should be set up.

I have yet to figure out why all my contacts from outlook won't sync to my phone using the outlook.com app. It is frustrating so I basically still depend on gmail for my contacts. I use outlook though for my calendar.
    05-21-2013 08:01 AM
    It is frustrating so I basically still depend on gmail for my contacts. I use outlook though for my calendar.
    What does Outlook's calendar have that Google's calendar doesn't? There must be a really good reason why you're not using the Goog for both.
    05-21-2013 11:59 AM
    What does Outlook's calendar have that Google's calendar doesn't? There must be a really good reason why you're not using the Goog for both.
    There are many good reasons not to use Google calendars. For me the first reason is that Google's business model is to mine data and sell it, and I just don't trust them with all my personal data. You can say anything you want about Google but I just don't trust them.

On the more practical side I have years of data in Outlook because the companies I have worked for the past 15+ years have all been Outlook-centric. Outlooks has features like Categories that I find are extremely useful but Google doesn't support. I got around this on my iPhone but iOS made separate contact files and separate calendars for each Outlook category (I currently have about 25 different categories in Outlook). I don't want 25 different calendars on my phone. Outlook manages to handle this with 1 calendar and 1 contacts database.

I could go on about the advantages of Outlook over Google but suffice it to say I have long been a Microsoft hater but until something better comes along I will continue to use Outlook. And nothing from Google has come close to beating Outlook (and that's sad).
    markbc and ArtAround like this.
    05-21-2013 12:51 PM
    I have always liked the Outlook calendar better than the Google calendar and the Google calendar changes times when you go into a different time zone.
    05-22-2013 11:44 PM
    Janet,

Thank you very much for your input in this (and the other related) thread. Following your instructions I was able to get my new Samsung S4 to sync with my desktop Outlook 2010 via Outlook.com. One thing that I can't figure out yet is categories. They come through via Outlook.com but I can't seem to find a way to color code the categories as I can with Outlook. Have you found a way to do this?
    05-23-2013 04:49 PM
    Janet,

Thank you very much for your input in this (and the other related) thread. Following your instructions I was able to get my new Samsung S4 to sync with my desktop Outlook 2010 via Outlook.com. One thing that I can't figure out yet is categories. They come through via Outlook.com but I can't seem to find a way to color code the categories as I can with Outlook. Have you found a way to do this?
    Can't help you with categories because I never use them. But how do you like that S4?
    05-26-2013 07:39 AM
    Can't help you with categories because I never use them. But how do you like that S4?
    So far I love it, but it's only been a week. Came from an iPhone 4 (not 4s) and the speed improvement is significant, and the difference in screen size is incredible. I picked up my iPhone yesterday to go through my apps to be sure I found equivalents before I sell the phone and I couldn't get over how small the iPhone seemed after a week with the S4.
    skatergirl likes this.
    05-26-2013 04:56 PM
    Hi Janet
    What do you mean it is right with the rest of the calendars? I cannot find the calendar of the Outlook app for the life of me?

I found it ... UGH!! It is right with the rest of the calendars.

Now, if I can get the Outlook connector to actually sync my Outlook calendar into outlook.com, then I won't have to worry about using three calendars (one Outlook and two Google) anymore. I will know more later when I get back to my PC.
    08-07-2013 09:35 AM
    Hi Janet
    What do you mean it is right with the rest of the calendars? I cannot find the calendar of the Outlook app for the life of me?
    Robin, go to your calendar app look at the top where it says Multi-Calendar. Tap on that and you will see all your calendars. You will not find an "Outlook" calendar. What you will find is your Exchange calendar. Check mark your exchange calendar and it will show up in your calendar.
    08-07-2013 12:21 PM
    Hello all,

All the infor on configuration does not help since we are already configured. The problem is the calendar sync's once at configuration time but never will sync again. It's probably an issue with the Galaxy S3 OS.Email sync works calendar only on first configuration. We probably should be looking to Samsung for an update!

Doug
    08-14-2013 08:27 AM
    Where did you find the calendar in the Outlook app?
    08-14-2013 12:28 PM
    There really is no Outlook app. It makes the link to the Droid default calendar and email program. I just loaded the Droid calendar and I'm able to select the calendars I can display.

I have additional information. If you manually sync the calendar it updates the entries to and from the server. My Samsung does not offer the button to select what items will be automatically synched that I've read about in different blogs. I'm off to the Samsung site to enter a bug report.
    08-15-2013 06:23 AM
    08-16-2013 04:54 PM
    Just installed it. Looks like a skin for a mobile web site (I guess most apps actually are). But, when it syncs, I still do not see the emails in my inbox. No biggie ... was just trying it out.
    08-16-2013 05:23 PM
    What is the name of the calendar (I have exactly the same problem)?
    09-24-2013 12:59 PM
    This will help window 7 users with 2010 outlook installed on pc that want to sync PC with SG 4
    12-01-2013 01:45 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking about buying an Android phone to replace my recently deceased Windows Phone. I'd like to ask you experienced users whether you think this app will be good enough for me to easily switch. I rely on Outlook contacts, mail and calendar very much, so I'm wondering if with the help of this app I'll be able to keep using them as easily as I'm used to on a WP, or will I have to get used to screaming in frustration because of this? Thanks =)
    12-27-2013 12:35 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking about buying an Android phone to replace my recently deceased Windows Phone. I'd like to ask you experienced users whether you think this app will be good enough for me to easily switch. I rely on Outlook contacts, mail and calendar very much, so I'm wondering if with the help of this app I'll be able to keep using them as easily as I'm used to on a WP, or will I have to get used to screaming in frustration because of this? Thanks =)
    Is your "Outlook" information from Exchange (ie a corporate email server) or a local copy of Outlook that is just syncing to Pop3/IMAP accounts? If you are syncing to Exchange/ActiveSync there is no issue, it will work perfectly.

And if the later, what version of Outlook? 2010 and earlier are no issue, later versions are more difficult but hardly a show stopper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    12-27-2013 07:12 PM
    Is your "Outlook" information from Exchange (ie a corporate email server) or a local copy of Outlook that is just syncing to Pop3/IMAP accounts? If you are syncing to Exchange/ActiveSync there is no issue, it will work perfectly.

And if the later, what version of Outlook? 2010 and earlier are no issue, later versions are more difficult but hardly a show stopper.

Uh, no, I'm actually using an email address at outlook.com (and live.com), so I'm worried about syncing my outlook.com Microsoft account rather than the mail client. I don't want to transfer all my contacts and calendars to Google services just yet, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to actually do so and have no serious issues.
    12-27-2013 08:38 PM
    Uh, no, I'm actually using an email address at outlook.com (and live.com), so I'm worried about syncing my outlook.com Microsoft account rather than the mail client. I don't want to transfer all my contacts and calendars to Google services just yet, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to actually do so and have no serious issues.
    Yes, for that situation Microsoft makes an app for that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.outlook.Z7

Should be exactly what your looking for.

Artess likes this.
    12-27-2013 08:42 PM
    Speed, speed, speed. Haven't seen the cloud app yet that is quick as locally loaded software. Nor as customizable. I often cut and paste the various appointments, they are universally available in all my office 10 apps. and again. Speed. Cloud apps are so slow. constant screen redraws every time you change any element. They just crawl compared to local software.
    08-12-2014 08:43 PM
48 12