OS updates on a rooted Rezound?

gavril

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have what's probably a basic question: if I was able to root my Rezound and linked it up with another carrier (or no carrier at all), would I still be able to (easily) get updates to the OS as they came out, or are these updates normally dependent on a connection to the Verizon network?

Thanks,
G.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The simple answer is no. Because of the way the software is written updates are looking for version numbers and a few other thing which your phone after loading a different ROM won't have. If you are on a different network or no network it wouldn't matter if you were stock. the answer would be still no

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Not to pile on but the Rezound was given its last rites a while ago, so even if you were on Verizon and kept it stock there are no updates coming for our beleaguered 'zound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for my naivete, but how was Rezound given its last rites? Do you just mean that there won't be any more OS updates?

Verizon has already EOL'd (end of life) the Rezound about 2 months ago. 1 small update came out but nothing that was a game changer nor was it the global update.

CampCash

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I hope the updates and life cycle will go longer for me in my next upgrade since I am planning on the Galaxy S4. I hate it but I am done with HTC for a bit. The update schedule was really bad on a phone with plenty ability to move along in the upgrade path.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I find it a little tough to believe the Rezound is done and received it's "last rites"... The Thunderbolt just got another upgrade today and it's older than the Rezound, in fact it was discontinued a year ago, in April of 2012, and it's ICS update came out just a couple months ago (February 2013). I think there is a little life left in our venerable old Rezounds!!!

Verizon Approves Software Update 7.02.605.10 For The HTC Thunderbolt

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I find it a little tough to believe the Rezound is done and received it's "last rites"... The Thunderbolt just got another upgrade today and it's older than the Rezound, in fact it was discontinued a year ago, in April of 2012, and it's ICS update came out just a couple months ago (February 2013). I think there is a little life left in our venerable old Rezounds!!!

Verizon Approves Software Update 7.02.605.10 For The HTC Thunderbolt

I'm not saying I'm in the know or have any kind of inside information...I'm just a regular dude (yes, a dude, wanda is just an old nickname) who likes to tweak the $hit out of his phone, but, in the past 4 years HTC has rarely ever upgraded the version of Sense that came with the phone. GB was Sense 3.5 and when we went to ICS it went to 3.6 but the versions were almost identical. So the T-bolt can go from GB to ICS because the versions are so similar. To go from ICS to JB would mean a jump to Sense 4 at the minimum and I just don't see that happening.

Also, Verizon promised the T-bolt would get ICS so they at least gave us an idea that they were working towards it however delayed as it may have been. We've had no such promises or even hints about the Rezound getting JB. In fact every time there's been a list (that I'm aware of) of devices that would even possibly get JB, the Rezound is not mentioned.

This Global update that gets batted around here is really no big update and it certainly isn't JB. The leaked update has been out for months now and I've been running the Global firmware for months as well.

Our poor phone was treated like a ba$tard from the start by Verizon so I don't expect that treatment to end anytime soon.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually the Thunderbolt originally shipped with Froyo, other than that you are basically correct... I do not expect the Rezound to get Jellybean officially, but they did say it would be a Global Mode phone, and Verizon seems to be following through with their promises recently, just on their own time table. :/

So to open another can worms... I also think that the craving for the "latest" O/S is not needed, what are the real world improvements in JellyBean over ICS? It is not as significant by any means compared to GB to ICS, where there was hardware support issues (multi-cores for one) that was holding back the device. How much better could HTC's version of JellyBean with Sense 4.0 be over the current one? I would just like to see all the little bugs fixed, other than that what more can be done for a stock Rezound that new OS would give it that a person would really use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22