"Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped" loop

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello, my Rezound ran out of battery earlier today at work and turned off, so when I got home, I plugged it into my charger and turned it on a few minutes later (i.e. once it had about 10% charge or so). When it loaded, I unlocked my phone, and it attempted to load my home screen, but an error window showed "Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped." When I clicked OK, my phone just repeated the same thing with the same result.

Now, my phone is stuck in this loop, and I cannot access my home screen. I tried 1) restarting my phone and 2) turning it off/removing the battery/turning it on again, but the problem persists. Does anybody have any suggestions for this problem? Thank you!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello, my Rezound ran out of battery earlier today at work and turned off, so when I got home, I plugged it into my charger and turned it on a few minutes later (i.e. once it had about 10% charge or so). When it loaded, I unlocked my phone, and it attempted to load my home screen, but an error window showed "Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped." When I clicked OK, my phone just repeated the same thing with the same result.

Now, my phone is stuck in this loop, and I cannot access my home screen. I tried 1) restarting my phone and 2) turning it off/removing the battery/turning it on again, but the problem persists. Does anybody have any suggestions for this problem? Thank you!
You can try clearing the cache partition, but I have a sneaking suspicion you will have to factory default.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
You can try clearing the cache partition, but I have a sneaking suspicion you will have to factory default.

So I tried doing that - I held volume down/Power to get into HBOOT. Then, I scrolled down to 'Recovery' and when I selected it, my phone went to a black screen with an image of a phone and a red triangle (or something along those lines). After a few minutes, it rebooted on its own back to this state.

In case anybody is wondering, this phone is not rooted (and never has). Any ideas on what might be happening or how to fix it? I can maneuver my way into various apps and the Settings if need be, but the actual home screen/HTC sense is not working and giving me that error message repeatedly. Thank you!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So I tried doing that - I held volume down/Power to get into HBOOT. Then, I scrolled down to 'Recovery' and when I selected it, my phone went to a black screen with an image of a phone and a red triangle (or something along those lines). After a few minutes, it rebooted on its own back to this state.

In case anybody is wondering, this phone is not rooted (and never has). Any ideas on what might be happening or how to fix it? I can maneuver my way into various apps and the Settings if need be, but the actual home screen/HTC sense is not working and giving me that error message repeatedly. Thank you!

When you see the red triangle, as soon as you see it, hold down the Volume Down button and then press the Power button. You should now see the stock recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
When you see the red triangle, as soon as you see it, hold down the Volume Down button and then press the Power button. You should now see the stock recovery.

Thanks - for some reason the Volume Down + Power didn't work for me, but Volume Up + Power did. Anyway, I cleared my cache partition and rebooted to no avail. I really have no idea what could have suddenly brought this on... are there any alternatives/suggestions besides doing a factory reset?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - for some reason the Volume Down + Power didn't work for me, but Volume Up + Power did. Anyway, I cleared my cache partition and rebooted to no avail. I really have no idea what could have suddenly brought this on... are there any alternatives/suggestions besides doing a factory reset?
VOL DN+PWR -> Recovery -> VOL UP+PWR is the correct procedure to get to the stock recovery menu.

Unfortunately no, unless you are rooted with custom recovery and a valid nandroid backup then your only option is pretty much to do a factory reset. You might be able to recover some information by booting the phone, leaving the screen blanked, then connect the USB cable to a PC... wait a few minutes and open the pull down shutter (do not unlock) and hit the USB symbol and change it to DIsk Drive and you should be able to browse the phone with a PC and get pics and files off but you won't be able to get text messages or contacts.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, yeah, sorry, I haven't been stock in ages. But from there, clear cache. If not, reboot your phone. When it turns on, press and hold down the Volume Down button all the way, and if the phone boots up, it will say "Safe Mode" in the bottom left corner. From there, that means an app turned malicious or you recently installed a malicious app. Uninstall said app and reboot your phone normally, and if it boots up normally, you're good.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, yeah, sorry, I haven't been stock in ages. But from there, clear cache. If not, reboot your phone. When it turns on, press and hold down the Volume Down button all the way, and if the phone boots up, it will say "Safe Mode" in the bottom left corner. From there, that means an app turned malicious or you recently installed a malicious app. Uninstall said app and reboot your phone normally, and if it boots up normally, you're good.

Yes, I forgot about Safe Mode... Good call OperationA7X, do this first if possible. Also from Safe Mode you should be able to go to into Messages and backup SMS to the SD Card and go into contacts and move them all to Google (the optimal way to backup contacts). That is usually 99% of the battle with having to do a forced factory reset.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
And now we both wait and see, and hope that either of our suggestions worked. :)

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
And now we both wait and see, and hope that either of our suggestions worked. :)

Thank you, OperationA7X and acejavelin!! I was able to boot into safe mode, and everything works smoothly while in Safe Mode - so I assume this means (as OperationA7X said) that one of my recent apps must be the culprit. I have a vague idea as to which apps I recently installed, but do you know if there happens to be an easy way to see apps installed sorted by date? If not, that's fine - I can uninstall apps until I find the culprit... it definitely beats doing a factory reset! :p

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, OperationA7X and acejavelin!! I was able to boot into safe mode, and everything works smoothly while in Safe Mode - so I assume this means (as OperationA7X said) that one of my recent apps must be the culprit. I have a vague idea as to which apps I recently installed, but do you know if there happens to be an easy way to see apps installed sorted by date? If not, that's fine - I can uninstall apps until I find the culprit... it definitely beats doing a factory reset! :p

Unfortunately, no. :-/ But just try to remember your most recent downloaded app.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I never replied to this earlier today (I gave you all thanks though) - the problem was SOLVED!!! I uninstalled a couple of apps, and rebooted it, and it worked like magic! Thank you both so much for your help! :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
i'm having the same problem. and i've reboot my phone and entered the safe mode but the problem still consist. what could be the problem?

Something is conflicting with Sense... Uninstall apps that are not essential until the problem is resolved, or FDR and add apps individually until you determine the culprit. Whatever is easiest for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Blanca Pacheco

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi okay so I am having the same problem the guy above is having and I tried all your advice and trying to get into safe mode but its not working for me I've tried a billion times but it doesn't seem to work for me please help

Hercules Jones

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I tried every thing here. I did get in to safe mode. I deleted a lot of apps & was thinking I mite have to factory reset. Then as I was going though the apps, I saw HTC Sense input. So I went in a cleared the cache & cleared the Data too. No more error. Did any one try that? Mite work for you I hope.

trayeight

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I had this same thing happen to me. I tried everything in this thread except the factory reset. I hadn't installed any new apps, but I started getting this message soon after my battery died and I charged it back up. What did work, however, was going into the Apps > Manage Apps and selecting "Uninstall Updates" from the HTC Sense Input app. That actually worked. Error went away immediately, and hasn't returned.

Garden Girl

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, trayeight! Your solution fixed this annoying issue!!! I had this same error after my phone battery died and I recharged it. Multiple reboots, keyboard updates, and app uninstalls didn't fix it.

I went to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps > HTC Sense Input app > "Uninstall Updates". Immediately fixed this problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood