HTC Sense has stopped unexpectedly

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the Key Ring app was the problem child on my device. I got a few "HTC Sense Has Stopped..." errors this morning while using miscellaneous apps, but at some point I also got an error stating that the Key Ring app had stopped working. Strange thing is that I don't use the widget for this app and hadn't opened the app since my previous restart. Not sure why it was even running, but it seems as though this particular app was doing something in the background that was most likely causing my Sense issues. I noticed on their blog that a major overhaul was rolled out on 5/21 which aligns with when I began seeing the issues. I used My Backup Pro to freeze the app (an option that's only available with a rooted device), and I haven't had any more issues after a half day of fairly high usage. I'll report back if anything changes, but if anyone experiencing this issue has Key Ring installed, I recommend you remove that app to see if your issue goes away.

I run keyring, including the new update and that hasn't been the problem. I did get sense crashes twice in Chrome today, both times while reviewing the results of a Google search, however. Have not yet been able to reliably produce a crash, which is what I am trying to do.

Dumped down the innertubes from my Transformer TF300T.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been seeing Chrome do this for a long time on my phone, and normally after I was surfing the web for a while. I always assumed it was just Chrome using all the resources. This is still happening, but it is now happening much more randomly. Chrome was updated May 22, I guess it should be thrown in the mix as another possibility.
Update: I just sent HTC tech support an email, Ill let you know what they say. I also sent them a link to this thread.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been seeing Chrome do this for a long time on my phone, and normally after I was surfing the web for a while. I always assumed it was just Chrome using all the resources. This is still happening, but it is now happening much more randomly. Chrome was updated May 22, I guess it should be thrown in the mix as another possibility.
Update: I just sent HTC tech support an email, Ill let you know what they say. I also sent them a link to this thread.

I can now produce a Sense crash almost every time I use search and secure a result in the native Internet browser. Since that is integral to the stock ROM, I am forced to conclude it's a defect in the ROM, and that would definitely be HTC's problem.

I am about to switch to a custom ROM based on the Global OTA but deodexed, lightly themed, and with Google Now embedded. (Global OTA Blue). Users report no Sense crashes in a month of use.

Leave it to the devs to get right what the manufacturers can't or won't.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Native Browser disabled since I got the phone 2 years ago. Seems to be different things for different folks.

edgesalon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Took me a while, but it looks like it was the Battery Watcher widget that was causing it. I made a new home screen and added every app back but no widgets. then I kept adding my widgets back until that one gave me the Sense has stopped. Weird cause I've had that app for years with no problems.

i have had the same issue with Sense stopped.
removed batter widget and looks like it help i will knew more tomorrow with full day use. Thanks to everyone for the input. not doing a factory reset too much stuff on the phone, i am not "not rooted"

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I have KeyRing and the stock browser enabled. I may try to dis able the stock browser. Will one of my other browsers step up and take its place? I know with IE on the pc you can't do some windows things without it, so will this be like that? I will miss KeyRing if it turns out to be the issue, but I will miss the issue far less then KeyRing, so if it has to go, it has to go.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I have KeyRing and the stock browser enabled. I may try to dis able the stock browser. Will one of my other browsers step up and take its place? I know with IE on the pc you can't do some windows things without it, so will this be like that? I will miss KeyRing if it turns out to be the issue, but I will miss the issue far less then KeyRing, so if it has to go, it has to go.
I have had the stock browser disabled and Boat Browser set as default for some time, I have had no negative issues whatsoever.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I dumped Key Ring and have not had any problems since Saturday. I hope this is it. I see it doesn't fix everyone's phone though.

Interestingly, on custom ROM, continued to have (less frequent) issues. As an experiment, removed Keyring; then reinstalled. Sense crashed immediately after reinstall. Uninstalled and switched to CardStar. Will see whether that fixes things.

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I dumped Key Ring and have not had any problems since Saturday. I hope this is it. I see it doesn't fix everyone's phone though.

I also haven't had an issue since removing Key Ring this past Saturday. I'd been experiencing this issue several times per day leading up to that, so I'm very confident now that this was the issue with my device. Based on this thread, it sounds like people are encountering similar sense issues with different apps. I just want to re-iterate that my issues with Key Ring often occurred while I was using other apps and hadn't even been running Key Ring since my previous reset. If you receive this error while running a particular app, don't assume that the current app you have open is causing the issue...

rossbates

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - it's Ross here, I'm one of the developers at Key Ring. We received a few emails recently which I think originated with this thread. We did release a big update recently, but going thorough all of the features, code, fixes, etc.... I can't think of anything that would cause Sense to crash. Perhaps if it was related to the widget, but we didn't make any changes to the widget for this release (note to self: we really need to update the widget).

The only other thing we've received a couple of emails about is the Key Ring icon disappearing on the phone and reverting to a standard Android icon. We did change the icon in this build, maybe something weird with the resource?

Anyway, if it is Key Ring that's causing the issue I'll make sure we do whatever it takes to get it fixed. Not having seen this on any of our HTC devices we have in house can someone help provide some more info about what happens after Sense crashes? Do you have to reboot? Any way to run something like MX Log Collector to see if there is any more info in the syslog?

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, if it is Key Ring that's causing the issue I'll make sure we do whatever it takes to get it fixed. Not having seen this on any of our HTC devices we have in house can someone help provide some more info about what happens after Sense crashes? Do you have to reboot? Any way to run something like MX Log Collector to see if there is any more info in the syslog?

Hello Ross,
I too had my doubts it was key ring but I am now second guessing that. I traveled all day yesterday and by the end of the day and this morning I was getting Sense reloads every few minutes. I went ahead and deleted key ring and I am now a half day into it with no reloads. There are only a handful of apps that myself and my wife have in common and this is one of them, and she is having the problem as well. I have never used the widget. Sense has always crashed for me after using Chrome for more than a few minutes, I have not experienced that today either. I have had keyring on this phone since I got it. This usually does not require a reboot, and lately no "HTC Sense has stopped". Normally once I go back to the home screen it will be blank and then rebuild itself. Please let me know if you have any questions.

LarryBauer

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The only change I have made to my HTC Rezound after a bunch of experiments, is removing Key Ring. Have not had any problems since Saturday. It was doing the "HTC Sense unexpectedly stopped" about 10 times a day... After pressing OK, it then rebooted that resource/app and the desktop reappeared. While it was crashed, there was no access to your apps, or desktop. You could access the notifications bar though.

jmumomm

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 'Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped working' message several times a day since May 21. I called verizon on May 31 thinking it must be the hardware. They agreed and sent out new (i.e. reconditioned like new) phone. End of first day on new phone, same issues with the annoying 'stopped working' messages, but they expanded to include Settings and a couple others. So frustrating.

Reluctantly I uninstalled Key Ring today and haven't had any more problems. Let us know if there's an update from Key Ring to fix the problem. PS - I really don't like the update on Key Ring, but I did use the app alot.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
First off, I want to thanks and give some respect to rossbates as the developer of Key Ring to hear about an issue with their software, and come to the forum and try to help. Thank You.

What they are looking for is something to go on so they can fix it, and they need your help gathering log files or something that they can use to fix the problem. They need someone (preferably rooted, just makes it easier) to capture some logging with software like https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.mxtech.logcollector&token=g3ykm8OW or just a simple logcat would be something for them to go on.

Users: this is amazing thing from Key Ring! Don't walk away from it, I have seen less than 4 companies ever come to some android forum to help users because of a problem they had, and I use 3 of those already because I know the product is quality and the author actually cares. I would do this but I do not use Key Ring, didn't even know what it was before this issue was posted here, I really hope someone who has/had the issue will take the time to help this author out.

LarryBauer

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I would provide log files but I'm not rooted, and don't know how to get them. I did get one file from OS Monitor but I doubt that was deep enough to get to the root of the problem. Thanks everyone and especially Ross for searching us out and trying to dig deeper to fix the app (if it is indeed causing it).

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
First off, I want to thanks and give some respect to rossbates as the developer of Key Ring to hear about an issue with their software, and come to the forum and try to help. Thank You.

What they are looking for is something to go on so they can fix it, and they need your help gathering log files or something that they can use to fix the problem. They need someone (preferably rooted, just makes it easier) to capture some logging with software like https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.mxtech.logcollector&token=H2PD_xTu or just a simple logcat would be something for them to go on.

Users: this is amazing thing from Key Ring! Don't walk away from it, I have seen less than 4 companies ever come to some android forum to help users because of a problem they had, and I use 3 of those already because I know the product is quality and the author actually cares. I would do this but I do not use Key Ring, didn't even know what it was before this issue was posted here, I really hope someone who has/had the issue will take the time to help this author out.

I am rooted; have installed the product and reinstalled Keyring. Will post/email the logfile when I get my next Sense crash.

rossbates

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi All - thanks for the patience and support as we work to get this figured out. I just ordered a Rezound off eBay and should have it by Monday. In the mean time.....

As mentioned above by acejavelin running MX Log Collector immediately after the crash could help us identify if there are any errors being logged by Key Ring immediately prior to the Sense crash. This works well on a majority of phones, for some reason on phones like the Galaxy S3 the logs are extremely limited. Hopefully we can get something useful. If someone is will to install this app all you need to do is launch it after a crash, it will prompt you to email the log. You can send it to me directly: rossbates at my mobestream.com email.

Also, if anyone else following the thread would be willing to test an experimental .apk file please get in touch. Stay tuned and thanks again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01