Hey group,

I unfortunately needed a refurbished phone since my old Rezound had problems. With the refurbished phone, I've noticed when I'm talking on the phone, and remove the phone from my face, the phone screen stays black. With my old phone, it recognized my face was away from the phone and the screen would light up, making it easier to put the phone on speaker, looking up a contact ect. Any ideas what I can do to get my phone to light up like normal? Note, I can push the power button to have it quickly light up, but not stay lit. I want to be able to remove the phone from my face and have it light up!

Thanks!
    06-27-2013 06:27 PM
    There is a sensor at the top of the phone where you place your ear and that is what basically locks the screen. This is the same sensor that tells phone when to illuminate the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the screen. This stops you from incidentally pressing call end or mute, or some other undesired action while the phone is pressed to your ear. It is possible that this sensor is bad or otherwise malfunctioning, but it is more than likely one of two things, that basically equate to the same thing. First do you have a screen protector on the phone? If yes, then would it be one that you recycled? Are using form a previous installation on this or a different phone? If yes to either then I would say try replacing it with a new one. Screen protectors can dull and become dirty over time and a recycled one has the bonus of being recycled. Even new screen protectors can get dirty, and not to say anything about your hygiene, but it is summer, it's hot, and we as people sweat. Moisture can cause even well installed protectors to lift up and allow unwanted contaminants between the screen and the protector. Now if you're not using a screen protector it can still be a soiled situation. Again makeup, sweat, hair care products, and kid fingers all can leave unwanted grime on the phone, so perhaps just a through wiping will suffice. Careful wiping liquid on or around your ear piece. You may want to use a microfiber cloth first. The reason the screen may not seem dirty when it actually is, is because the stock digitizer has a camouflaged sensor. The combination of the dark camo to hide the sensor and even a little dirt may be enough to prevent this sensor from seeing enough light to cause issues. If neither of these work then you will have to determine if it is the sensor or a software problem. OK you wouldn't have to, but I would so you know what to tell the insurance when you call for your next replacement. The easiest way to do this would be to sit in a room that is not in direct sunlight, but that is light, and wake the phone. The capacitive keys may illuminate for a second upon waking, but should dim or go out in quickly. If the lights never come on or go out quickly than it most likely isn't the sensor. To further prove that the sensor is working, if the lights don't come on when the phone is woke up, use your thumb or a small portion of your palm cover the Verizon logo at the top of the screen, just cover the top of the screen straight across the line the Verizon logo makes. With the phone awake if the lights come on then your sensor is working as it should. If the sensor was defective the lights would either always want be on or never want come on, but if you can affect a change in them then everything sensor wise is functioning and the issue may be a software problem. There are no settings that I've found to affect the behavior of the screen while on a call. There may be a setting I'm just not finding. In which case it would have most likely been something you changed or tried while setting up the phone. Try to recall when this issue began and what if any changes you tried. I know I've tried somethings that didn't affect anything right away, that I noticed but later ended up being a bad idea. LOL.

I hope one of these helps and I would appreciate it if you'd post back to say which one did or if none of them did. Thanks.
    06-27-2013 07:29 PM
    Wow thanks for the advice. I took the easy way out, complaining to Verizon to get a new phone and a credit.
    acejavelin likes this.
    06-27-2013 08:15 PM
    If it happens again, and it very well may as this is a known issue with many rezounds, if your up for rooting give this a try...it works like a charm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...librator&hl=en
    06-28-2013 09:45 PM
    i had that problem too, just called Verizon for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-29-2013 11:24 PM
    If it happens again, and it very well may as this is a known issue with many rezounds, if your up for rooting give this a try...it works like a charm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...librator&hl=en
    This app works like a charm for proximity sensor issues, only drawback is you have to be rooted. Just so users reading this know.
    06-30-2013 07:51 AM
    You are awesome! It was the screen protector's fault. Thank you so very much! )
    09-12-2013 10:20 PM
    i also have this problem. i took off my screensaver and cleaned the screen, it still happened. sometimes the screen comes back on, sometimes it doesnt.i can hold the phone,make a call and not put it to my ear and the screen will still go blank . i thought maybe it was an app i downloaded, so i disabled them, but it still happens..this is a refurbished phone too..
    09-19-2013 08:13 AM
    i also have this problem. i took off my screensaver and cleaned the screen, it still happened. sometimes the screen comes back on, sometimes it doesnt.i can hold the phone,make a call and not put it to my ear and the screen will still go blank . i thought maybe it was an app i downloaded, so i disabled them, but it still happens..this is a refurbished phone too..
    This is either a defective or mis-adjusted Proximity Sensor... if the phone is stock do a factory default and test, if you are rooted look at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nsorCalibrator to calibrate the sensor.
    09-19-2013 08:47 AM