Verizon HTC Rezound - weird problem today with touch screen and phone calls

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I was talking on the phone today and all of a sudden the sound had a lot of crackling interference type noise and the person on the other end couldn't hear me. She asked if I had put her on mute. I went to the phone to hit/unhit mute and no buttons would react, including HOME. We got disconnected somehow and she called me back but I couldn't press the ANSWER button. No response. I rebooted. I saw "Loading..." on the home screen for short bit and figured maybe some upgrade was forced on me (rudely ignoring that I was on the phone), but I can't find any sign of any Verizon/HTC upgrade. I don't think a basic app would do that, but maybe. I hit the CALL button to call person back and nothing happened at first. I pressed it again and eventually it called her. and then it called her again.

Does this behavior ring any bells on what happened?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: weird problem today with touch screen and phone calls

Are you rooted or stock? This behavior can happen when the cache gets very full.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

stock. Can I explicitly clear the cache or is that what the reboot does? It's about at the 2year mark so there probably is some crud buildup!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

stock. Can I explicitly clear the cache or is that what the reboot does? It's about at the 2year mark so there probably is some crud buildup!
Wow... 2 years without a factory reset, that's pretty good, bordering on remarkable.

You can clear the cache when stock, just pull the battery and reinsert, then hold VOL DN and POWER until the HBoot screen comes up, VOL DN to Recovery and select with POWER, the phone will start Recovery and go into download mode, wait for it to timeout and get a android dude with a red error symbol and press VOL UP and POWER at the same time. There should be an option there to clear the cache.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Yikes, that's a lot of stuff! Is that a factory reset? What's Recovery? Download? I don't know what these things mean and their impact. I was hoping for some simple setting toggle switch. Will I lose any configuration things that I've done (and no doubt forget)?

I'm not surprised the phone is in relatively good shape. Its probably underutilized. I don't do a ton with it. Just the basics. Only started Candy Crush a few months ago. That's probably killing the battery, but other than that, low usage. I was thinking of getting a new battery pro-actively before it becomes obsolete -- assuming the phone can go a year or two longer before next upgrade.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Yikes, that's a lot of stuff! Is that a factory reset? What's Recovery? Download? I don't know what these things mean and their impact. I was hoping for some simple setting toggle switch. Will I lose any configuration things that I've done (and no doubt forget)?

I'm not surprised the phone is in relatively good shape. Its probably underutilized. I don't do a ton with it. Just the basics. Only started Candy Crush a few months ago. That's probably killing the battery, but other than that, low usage. I was thinking of getting a new battery pro-actively before it becomes obsolete -- assuming the phone can go a year or two longer before next upgrade.
Clearing the cache is not a factory reset, it will clear out the old "junk" in your cache partition, it will NOT delete any data or other information you have stored on your phone... it might take a while to boot the first time after this procedure and some apps may start slow at first afterwords, but this should help if you have not done a factory reset in a long time. If these steps don't work then you may need to do a factory reset... I will slow down and try to explain a little more, don't worry, this is pretty safe and will not damage your phone or information it contains.

1) Remove the battery and reinsert it (to make sure the phone is fully shut down, do not connect to a PC or charger so make sure you are fully charged, this process should only take 5 to 10 minutes, but could take a little longer so be patient.
2) Press and hold VOL DN and POWER at the same time until the phone starts up into a special menu, this is called the Bootloader or Hboot, it is kind of like the BIOS on your PC and is perfectly safe.
3) Use the VOL UP/DOWN keys to navigate the few menu items, highlight RECOVERY and press POWER, the phone will start the embedded Recovery application and go into a download mode. Don't worry, we are not going to do anything here, just need to wait for it to timeout and show a Red error symbol
4) Press VOL UP and POWER at the same time momentarily, this should open the stock Recovery menu with a few options on it, use the VOL UP/DOWN buttons as above to highlight Clear Cache Partition or something similar (different versions have slightly different wording) and press POWER to select it, I don't remember if it asks to you to confirm or not, but go ahead, it is completely safe.
5) After the process completes, either the phone will reboot (then you are done) or return to the menu, if it does that then select REBOOT and press power.

This will clear out the cache partition, it is non-destructive to your data and information and this should be the first step at troubleshooting this issue. If the problems continue you should strongly consider doing a factory reset, although it is inconvenient, there are ways of minimizing the difficulty by backing up and first and restoring, but we can deal those issues specifically later.

Unfortunately there is no simple one-step, click here and the magic happens, so you need to learn a few tricks and tips to maintain a phone beyond the standard 18-24 month replacement cycle.

The Rezound is a solid device, and other than battery life it is comparable with middle of the road models available today and should be a serviceable device for the next year or two. I would definitely suggest getting another battery, consider this one which includes an external charger, 2 batteries, and a carrying case for about $23: Amazon.com: Laza Zcell 1750mah HTC Rezound 2x Battery + Charger + Travel Case Combo: Cell Phones & Accessories I have been using them for a year at least and they work great (plus it's nice to have a spare battery and be able to charge one well using one).

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for that detailed explanation in my "speed". I will give it a shot!

And will check out that battery too.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

@acejavelin. Scary undertaking, but I did it. We'll see if that would improve anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol