more and more 1x

jaybro0813

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am finding more and more my phone is going from 3g to 1x which leaves it very slow. The only solution i have found is to restart the phone and it goes to 3g.

Is there anything else I can do? Is there something wrong with the phone? AM I doing something wrong
Please let me know forum friens

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am finding more and more my phone is going from 3g to 1x which leaves it very slow. The only solution i have found is to restart the phone and it goes to 3g.

Is there anything else I can do? Is there something wrong with the phone? AM I doing something wrong
Please let me know forum friens
There is supposed to be an over-the-air fix coming within the next few weeks to fix this issue.

-Frank

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You mean it goes down to 1X when you turn on your phone? This frequently happens to me, too, though I'm in a 4G area. My only options are either to restart the phone, or to use an app like LTE OnOff to switch to 3G-only (in which case, it'll jump up from 1X to 3G, but as soon as I try to switch back to 4G mode, it goes right back down to 1X). Occasionally, if I wait a few hours and try to switch back to 4G, it'll finally pop on.

I'm curious to know if the Droid Charge and LG Revolution have this issue, as well, because I wonder if it's a problem with Verizon's network, or with the phone itself.

Not to be a pessimist, but if it's an issue with the Thunderbolts rather than the network, I don't expect this issue to ever be fixed, unfortunately. This seems like one of those little problems that'll never really be addressed or fixed, until it's time to upgrade to new phone anyway.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the Droid Charge and LG Revolution have this issue, as well, because I wonder if it's a problem with Verizon's network, or with the phone itself.
The Charge does and the Sensation does. I haven't kept up on the Revolution, but I imagine it does. It is an artifact of the new 4G/LTE technology and the new 1x/3G/4G-LTE radio auto-switching employed by these phones. It's gonna take a while to get it right. Each of these phones have slightly different radios. And therefore require different code to control the data radios. One way to look at this is that the ThunderBolt is a few months ahead of the others in fine tuning this code. As I mentioned above, there is the second fix to the radios due out soon (est. 1-3 weeks).

-Frank

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Its funny my phone went to 1x when I went on specific thread so its happening a lot more now than usual. I know 4g is rather new so im hoping this new infamous update well take care of these issues. I know in part its the verizon network but one can hope.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
The Charge does and the Sensation does. I haven't kept up on the Revolution, but I imagine it does. It is an artifact of the new 4G/LTE technology and the new 1x/3G/4G-LTE radio auto-switching employed by these phones. It's gonna take a while to get it right. Each of these phones have slightly different radios. And therefore require different code to control the data radios. One way to look at this is that the ThunderBolt is a few months ahead of the others in fine tuning this code. As I mentioned above, there is the second fix to the radios due out soon (est. 1-3 weeks).

-Frank

The Sensation is HSPA+, not LTE. Correct me if I'm mistaken and maybe it's LTE overseas.

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet is take it into a verizon store and have them look at it. I have no signal issues at all. It may just need a new sim card

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The Sensation is HSPA+, not LTE. Correct me if I'm mistaken and maybe it's LTE overseas.
Yes, you are right. Guess I had a "gray moment" there :) I know there were two, so I guess it was the Revolution. I haven't been following real closely, but I did read enough just to determine that LTE radios have been some kind of issue for every LTE device.

By "issue" I just mean that you see threads like "lost data connection", "stuck on 1x", "can't get 3G", etc. in virtually all of the LTE device forums. So, that was my point.

Funny too, it might just be that some of it is that we LTE users might have to learn a little more about how the LTE network works. IOW, what I mean is this... a lot of us "grew up" watching VZW go from Voice only to 1x data to 3G data. And we learned what to expect from our "signal strength" meters. Even many of the flip phones had two meters, one set of "bars" for 3G and another set of bars for 1x. Obviously that methodology is a thing of the past. Can you imagine a different set of "bars" for Voice, 1x, 3G, 4G? Too much.

The Thunderbolt generation has obviously separated the "signal strength" from the data indicator. IOW, you can have a poor signal strength indicated and still get 4G. Or, you can have full signal strength indicated and not be able to even get 1x. Definitely a completely different ballgame as far as attempting to display to the user exactly what the voice/data status really is. In a limited amount of space. Hence, us early LTE adopters might still have a lot to learn about interpreting our devices indicators.

Interesting, none the less. I'm still happy to be an early adopter. I love this bleeding edge crap. Er, I mean technology! :D

-Frank