@home=no reboot/away=reboot

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got back home from a little vacation about 100 miles away. I've never had the "constant rebooting" problem widely discussed here and on other HTC ThunderBolt/Verizon forums. But when I was away I felt your pain. My phone rebooted about five times a day. Usually on the hour.
I'm back home now and I hope this issue didn't follow me home!
Rob

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the opposite problem this weekend. I went away for the weekend and my reboots went away. I came back home and they all start again.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is more evidence that the reboots are related to how the phone interacts with the towers. Before I flashed the leaked MR2 update, I frequently would get reboots in an area around home that is known as something of an RF dead zone (even FM radio breaks up here) and occasionally at work (my whole area doesn't have 4G LTE yet). They were also pretty bad (pre-MR2) when I visited Destin, FL a month or so back which was also a non 4G LTE area (didn't happen while driving through Montgomery which is 4G LTE). Whatever they've done with MR2, it has fixed the issue for me as I've yet to have a reboot at home or recently when driving to Colorado and back (through various 3G and 4G markets).

kikapele

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the opposite problem this weekend. I went away for the weekend and my reboots went away. I came back home and they all start again.

it's been mentioned several times in other posts already but it does appear that the reboots may be caused by verizons towers rather then the phones themselves. I think your porblem further backs that claim up. If the towers are being updated to fix this issue then this would explain why you have no reboots in one location vs. another. anyways i had reboots also when i first got my phone, bad signal and loss of data connection and eventually it just went away. my tbolt is stock with the mr1 update. haven't had these problems in over a month now. *knock on wood*

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
That may explain why there is no software update for the phones. It may be a repeater (tower) issue. That would make sense. My wife's iPhone was screwing up a few weeks ago. She stopped in the Verizon store to get it checked out. The door people said they had a bunch of complaints that day and said "tower upgrades" were causing the problems.
Go figure.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
And if it is tower issues & tower upgrades are needed, that would also explain the delays in getting the 'fix' out; can't push out tower upgrades to everyone across the country

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Last week I took a week long motorcycle vacation along the Blue Ridge parkway, from end to end and back, plus the Skyline Drive.
Here in North Georgia, I was almost of the opinion that the reboot issue was non-existant. I thought I had seen it once or twice. During my trip, I had a least 4 reboots as I headed north. And it did some of reboots on the way back south through those same areas that had the reboots on the way north.
I feel really bad for those that live in the reboot zones. I hope VZW is making it right for those people.

Still, it performed well for the trip generally. The Fascinate that I used to use would have had so many more issues that I'm not sure I would have even bothered taking it.

Reactions: ThunderboltRob

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Last week I took a week long motorcycle vacation along the Blue Ridge parkway, from end to end and back, plus the Skyline Drive.
Here in North Georgia, I was almost of the opinion that the reboot issue was non-existant. I thought I had seen it once or twice. During my trip, I had a least 4 reboots as I headed north. And it did some of reboots on the way back south through those same areas that had the reboots on the way north.
I feel really bad for those that live in the reboot zones. I hope VZW is making it right for those people.

Still, it performed well for the trip generally. The Fascinate that I used to use would have had so many more issues that I'm not sure I would have even bothered taking it.

Thats why I installed the MR2 update before I took a 2 week, 4,200 mile road trip from Texas to New York to South Carolina and back. I didnt have a single reboot through the entire trip!

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm only on the original MR1 OTA update. I never had any reboots up until about 2-3 weeks ago, when I got one while at a Target that's in a shopping plaza 20 or so minutes away from where I live. Since then, I'd occasionally get one every now and then. Two or three of them happened while I was at work. It does almost seem like they happen at certain places...

Anyway, surprisingly, it's been a few days since I've had a reboot. Close to 5-6 days, I *think*. Hopefully I don't jinx myself, heh. Hasn't rebooted at work anymore, and I've been back near that Target a couple times, and while it doesn't reboot, it does drop down to 3G (and sometimes even 1X) over there.

jigz23

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue, I can leave my phone at home all day and not have any issues, but If I leave my phone in one corner of my office for a few hours and come back, it'll be turned off without fail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol