Questions Regarding the impending OTA Update and rooting

kwyjibohunter

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Thunderbolt last week (the long way with the Mac Procedure instructions from the forums here) and didn't do much with it other than move bloatware to my SD card and install the free versions of ROM Manager and Titanium. I haven't really had the reboot issue since I've done this but I'm new to Android (coming from WebOS) and I'm not sure how best to proceed from here.

Should I unroot (if that's even possible from a Mac) and get the update or should I not worry about it and just start looking into flashing a Custom ROM (probably something with Gingerbread like the BAMF ROM)? Will the phone try to update automatically or will I be able to deny the update? Also, am I better off with paying for the full versions of Titatnium and ROM Manager before I flash a new ROM? I'd rather not have to reinstall all of my apps one by one again if I don't have to.

I've been a little skittish on flashing custom ROMs mostly because I haven't had much time to do so and/or fix things if something goes wrong.

tl;dr: Should I ignore the OTA Updates and just dig into custom ROMs?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Do the ota update its a miracle fixed the boot problem for me. And pro versions are worth it.

^^^ NO! Do not do that ^^^

If you are rooted, it probably won't even let you, but DO NOT attempt to install the OTA update. For one, you will lose root, and that's the best case scenario. Worst case you brick your phone.

There are already ROMs based off of the MR2, you can look into those, or any other ROMs for that matter *if* you want to.

As a general rule of thumb, once you root, you forego the ability to receive updates from your carrier. The advantages that come with rooting do however, in my opinion, heavily outweigh this.

I rooted my Thunderbolt last week (the long way with the Mac Procedure instructions from the forums here) and didn't do much with it other than move bloatware to my SD card and install the free versions of ROM Manager and Titanium. I haven't really had the reboot issue since I've done this but I'm new to Android (coming from WebOS) and I'm not sure how best to proceed from here.

Should I unroot (if that's even possible from a Mac) and get the update or should I not worry about it and just start looking into flashing a Custom ROM (probably something with Gingerbread like the BAMF ROM)? Will the phone try to update automatically or will I be able to deny the update? Also, am I better off with paying for the full versions of Titatnium and ROM Manager before I flash a new ROM? I'd rather not have to reinstall all of my apps one by one again if I don't have to.

I've been a little skittish on flashing custom ROMs mostly because I haven't had much time to do so and/or fix things if something goes wrong.

tl;dr: Should I ignore the OTA Updates and just dig into custom ROMs?

OK, you could UNROOT first, then install the OTA I suppose, but why?!?!? Especially if you aren't having any issues, I would not worry at all about the OTA.

As far as your other questions. You definitely don't need the paid version of ROM manager, as it is really only good for flashing Clockwork recovery. Up to you regarding Titanium. The paid version does have a bit more features, but you can get by with the free version if you want (or just want to try it out).

Also, you don't have to install each app over again when you install a custom ROM! that's the beauty of it -- now that you've rooted, you have the ability to back up everything first and restore it!

Two posts you definitely want to check out are Cyber Warrior's guide on installing ROMs:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html
And my guide on backing up and restoring apps and data:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...store-apps-data-when-installing-new-roms.html

Cheers!

Last edited:

rob90262

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
If you want to keep your root DO NOT DO NOT accept the ota update it will break root and if worse could possibly brick your phone like he said ^^^^^^^^^^^ I have titanium back not sure if there's much difference but i suggest when restoring apps only do ones with data that you need otherwise just redownload your apps from the market. Before you flash any ROM make sure you make a back up of your current ROM that way if anything happens to it on the process of flashing you always could go back to the original

dmw_4814

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Thunderbolt about 10 days ago following instructions in this post:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

I did that simply to gain access to the system folders to be able to change the fonts on my Thunderbolt, and to be able to remove bloatware. I had Busybox, Superuser and Titanium Backup applications installed on my phone, and I used Font Changer to change my Thunderbolt's fonts. I did NOT install any custom ROM's, as I actually like the stock HTC ROM.

My phone, however, was still suffering from VERY frequent reboots. When I discovered that Verizon released an OTA update last night, I checked for software updates and was rather surprised to find it offering me an update (I thought that because I was rooted, I wouldn't receive notifications of OTA updates - or, is that just if you install custom ROM's?), so I installed it. As I expected, I lost my root and the ability to use Font Changer to change my fonts. However, since installing the update (around 11:00 p.m. last night), I have yet to experience a single random reboot! Now, I've had as much as a week go by before without reboots, so it's too early to tell if this update helped or not, but most of the time it reboots multiple times in 1 day - including even right in the middle of calls!

So, my question is - how do I root again, or just gain access to the system folders, so that Font Changer, Titanium Backup, Superuser, etc. all work again, WITHOUT losing the update I downloaded last night? That update, at least so far, seems to have definitely helped my Thunderbolt!

Thanks,

Dennis

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
At paintdrinkingpete your ******ed he said he was gonna unroot it. Plus you can always reroot

I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to say (censored), but my only point was that if he already had root and wasn't having problems then installing the OTA was probably not in the OP's interest.

Sure, you can re-root, but that will once again wipe data and (as far as I know) put you back at MR1 anyway.

Didn't mean any offense, I just didn't think installing the update was good advice in this case.'

EDIT: I see in SoDev's post above there is a rooted rom of MR2...so you could just install that.

Last edited: