VZW Update Documentation Incorrect?

WingsFan87

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice this?

According to the PDF released about the update.

Build Number: 1.70.605.0
Baseband: 1.39.00.0613w, 0.01.69.0613w_1

BUT

After I ran the OTA and checked my build number and baseband it doesn't match the release info. The baseband is totally different.

Baseband: 1.39.00.0627r, 0.01.69.0625r

I called Vzw support and asked them about it.. the CSR I spoke to of course had no idea who transferred me to the Tier 2 (1st Level Normal Tech Support). She also did not seem to get it that there was an inconsistency in the documentation versus what was actually pushed.

She looked up in her "system" and said for the latest build Thunderbolt that she was seeing in the system was approved yesterday on 7-8-2011 was

Build Number: 2.18.605.4

Which obviously is way different then what we are seeing according to the update documentation which was created on 7-7-2011. She said Build Number: 2.18.605.4 is supposedly was starting to be pushed today...

Seems to be some real problems with information here.

Also I noticed in the "Enhancements" that was listed in the PDF it says

+View App Menu in tabbed layout

That obviously hasn't appeared. Isn't that part of Gingerbread?

What are your thoughts?

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
My thought is that it sounds like we are going to see GB pushed in the next couple of weeks. I'm sue the build she referred to is the latest test build for GB, considering all of the mistakes regarding GB-related features not being pushed with this.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just think it's a simple error in the docs. Possibly the docs were presented in an earlier version but got used. Possibly HTC didn't provide a new set of docs with the latest build. Possibly they had higher hopes than actually panned out in the end (i.e. tabbed apps). Heck, this is nothing compared to "8GB of Internal Memory", "Netflix Included", "Skype Included". These documentation errors are childsplay! :)

I don't care. I'm very happy with the update. Man, I can actually hold on to some kind of data signal now virtually 100 percent of the time. Looks like my days of "total loss of data signal" are gone! Hooray!

-Frank

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, we saw a couple of silly mistakes on the PDFs--they were probably thrown together very quickly. For example, see No. 1 on Page Two of the instructions:

"1. If you are roaming you will not receive a system update notice. You will need to enable Wi-Fi and wait for the update notice to appear or as mentioned above you can manually update by add steps."

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt_instructions.pdf

Thanks, Robrecht

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is why we saw that previous leaked pdf file all over the internet about GB coming for the TB, with a ton of errors and people said that it was a fake. This is prove that actually official announcements have errors as well.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Kind of sucks that we lost the ability to use the leaked Skype with video APK. I really hope that an update to the general Skype app in the market adds the Thunderbolt to the list of phones that can use Skype with video...

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You can count on it.

But if you don't believe me, just ask the Magic 8 Ball:

Magic Eight Ball CGI
Shoot! I just did. I asked "Will Skype Video be available for the ThunderBolt"?

Here's what I got back:
4.gif

-Frank

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice this?

BUT

After I ran the OTA and checked my build number and baseband it doesn't match the release info. The baseband is totally different.

I called Vzw support and asked them about it.. the CSR I spoke to of course had no idea who transferred me to the Tier 2 (1st Level Normal Tech Support). She also did not seem to get it that there was an inconsistency in the documentation versus what was actually pushed.

She looked up in her "system" and said for the latest build Thunderbolt that she was seeing in the system was approved yesterday on 7-8-2011 was

Which obviously is way different then what we are seeing according to the update documentation which was created on 7-7-2011. She said Build Number: 2.18.605.4 is supposedly was starting to be pushed today...

What are your thoughts?
Corrections made to documentation on MR2:
http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt.pdf

Reactions: FrankXS

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice this?

BUT

What are your thoughts?

I'll check tomorrow, but it is not uncommon for the approved device software list that rep was looking at the show a software update that is two weeks from release. Ask all the Droid 2 Global owners about that.