Gingerbread Update: Reliable Information Only Please

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Please only post reliable information on the status of the ThunderBolt Gingerbread update at Verizon (this typically excludes comments from Verizon reps and tech support jockeys).

TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
Derp gingerbread for thunderbolt will be testing at Verizon shortly
16 hours ago

A week ago jcase confirmed the correct build number of the MR2 OTA update that was pushed out last night so I think he's a rather reliable source.

Reactions: EggoEspada

vbctv

Mar 16, 2011
vbctv.com
From what a VZW rep told me here in Cleveland is that HTC pulled the GB update to put Sense 3.0 into the update and it should be out in the 3Q of this year.

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was told today at a corporate store and I quote, " the gingerbread update for the thunderbolt is still being baked by HTC at this time". I don't know if this was the guys attempt at humor as it was told to me with a totally straight face.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I was told today at a corporate store and I quote, " the gingerbread update for the thunderbolt is still being baked by HTC at this time". I don't know if this was the guys attempt at humor as it was told to me with a totally straight face.
Again, please do not take offense, but I would like to limit this thread to reliable information. If you or anyone else feels this or that Verion rep was credible, please tell us why you think he or she is credible. For example, does he have access to test build numbers of software that is being tested or does she actually have access to the code itself? If not, or if you're not even sure if he was just joking with you, please refrain from posting such rumors here. We do have sources that meet this level of credibility.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, moving on to our next reliable source, who now has the beginnings of a provven track record:

need bb said:
Based on the number of GB test builds sent to VZW I wouldn't expect this to be ready till August, at the earliest. ... The SW for the Tbolt has been in development for over 9 months and it still has some way to go. ...

I know everyone is waiting for GB which is MR3, but it still needs some time. The good news is that it is being worked on it is already on its fifth SW revision.

need bb is not as well known as jcase, but he was the first (on 6/29) to reveal the build number of the MR2 OTA update that was pushed out by Verizon on last night.

Reactions: EggoEspada

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Robrecht - Please don't take offense but There may only be one or two people that run across what you are looking for - and even then it won't be known if it's reliable or not until we actually get GB.

Even reliable sources get things wrong in this business most of the time.
None taken! I certainly do not confuse reliable with infallible. Reliable sources may indeed be incorrect, but there are still reasons for considering them reliable, eg, a proven track record or access to actual code. We will not know for sure if any particular piece of information is correct until after the fact, but that is no reason to not place more value on reliable sources and confirmation.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Robrecht - Please don't take offense but There may only be one or two people that run across what you are looking for - and even then it won't be known if it's reliable or not until we actually get GB.

Even reliable sources get things wrong in this business most of the time.

Amen.............Thats it in a nutshell.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
@robrecht

I don't see this post going far because there isn't any 100% reliable sources for any information, everything is basically guessing and speculation, the only information that would fall in the level of being reliable is the software developers and I don't see none of them posting here.

So wouldn't you think you are asking for a bit much to expect a 100% reliable source?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
@robrecht

I don't see this post going far because there isn't any 100% reliable sources for any information is it all guessing and speculation, the only information that would fall in the level of being reliable is the software developers and I don't see none of them posting here.

So wouldn't you think you are asking for a bit much ro expect a 100% reliable source?
But I have never asked for a 100% reliable source. No need to apply black & white, all or nothing, simplistic binary reasoning to the idea of reliability. For example, jcase is reliable. He is sometimes wrong, but that does not mean he is always wrong. And he certainly is not merely guessing and speculating when he actually possesses and shares leaked code.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
But I have never asked for a 100% reliable source. No need to apply black & white, all or nothing, simplistic binary reasoning to the idea of reliability. For example, jcase is reliable. He is sometimes wrong, but that does not mean he is always wrong. And he certainly is not merely guessing and speculating when he actually possesses and shares leaked code.

I didn't mean any disrespect with the post but it seems that every reply that was posted wasn't what you seem to want as a answer.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean any disrespect with the post but it seems that every reply that was posted wasn't what you seem to want as a answer.
No disrespect perceived, but I'm also not looking for instant answers just trying to set up a place for people to discuss and share what can be considered reliable information. I think it might be helpful for people to focus at least some attention on whether or not something they've heard is realiable and why. That's all.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Rob, what you are looking for is not going to be found yet. What I can confirm is this:

It was initially planned to include Gingerbread in the MR2 that was released yesterday, which was originally set to be released on June 30th. That is actually the truth, but it never happened.

The date got pushed back to July 7th, and when it looked like the update was going to be pushed back again, Verizon decided to push the fixes that were already done since there was rather a large public outcry to fix the phone. As I said previously in other topics, the fix has been finished for a while now.

Currently, Gingerbread is expected later this month, which would put it under the Q3 rumor. Q3 started at the beginning of July, to anyone curious, and runs until the end of September. That is an easy guess for any HTC or Verizon rep to make, since even if it gets delayed a ton more times that rumor can still be correct. Its like saying the world will end sometime in the next trillion years. lol

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Well, it looks like that pdf file picture flying around befor June 30th and whit a ton of errors was a legit one then (if what Mortiel says is true) :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad