Radio is worse after update

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Been using the update since Friday night. My data signal has been much worse! In 4G area, have not had it since Saturday AM. Tried rebooting, airplane mode on and off, etc. I would say almost half the time I have no data signal (despite seeing full bars) which makes checking email/web almost impossible.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Been using the update since Friday night. My data signal has been much worse! In 4G area, have not had it since Saturday AM. Tried rebooting, airplane mode on and off, etc. I would say almost half the time I have no data signal (despite seeing full bars) which makes checking email/web almost impossible.

I have to agree with you somewhat. In areas that I used to get a strong signal, I often get nothing at all. At my home, which is supposedly well within a 4G area, I am lucky to get 4G 10% of the time. My phone doesn't reboot and when I have a signal, my battery does well. It also regains the signal when losing it, unlike pre-update where it would not get signal back unless I rebooted.

It almost seems as if they under powered the radio in the update in order to improve the battery.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Could it be that what you are experiencing is precisely what the update was intended to fix - Erroneous indication of a virtually unsalable 4G signal when there was a perfectly usable 3G signal present?

In areas of weak 4G but strong 3G it is entirely likely that you might see less 4G on your phone. This may be a good thing - and more realistic than blindly holding onto a 4G signal that results in bad performance.

Just a thought.

-Frank

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
just out of curiousity, what signal strength are you getting? you can check using "lte onoff" from the android market. also, try to pull the battery while the phone is on, open the sim card tray and let the phone sit for about 3-5 minutes, then put the battery back in and restart.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Could it be that what you are experiencing is precisely what the update was intended to fix - Erroneous indication of a virtually unsalable 4G signal when there was a perfectly usable 3G signal present.

If areas of weak 4G but strong 3G it is entirely likely that you might see less 4G on your phone. This may be a good thing - and more realistic than blindly holding onto a 4G signal that results in bad performance.

Just a thought.

-Frank

Yes, it is possible, but what it tells me is that I need to call VZW and find out why I am not even getting 3G in some areas that are well within the zone, and why 4G is even spottier, considering I live less than 2 miles from a tower.

I'm not saying I am unhappy with the update. Just that I've noticed these things, and will probably see if Verizon can check on them.

What I need to do is pull out my Xoom and turn on 3G and see what it is picking up when my phone isn't picking up anything.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
just out of curiousity, what signal strength are you getting? you can check using "lte onoff" from the android market. also, try to pull the battery while the phone is on, open the sim card tray and let the phone sit for about 3-5 minutes, then put the battery back in and restart.

I did the battery pull thing the other night. Didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm at work, getting a 3G signal right now. It is reading -72 dbm 3 asu.

Not sure what is good or bad.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that the signal strength does not directly relate to the usability of the data network.

Example: I have a VZW Network Extender at home. I always get 4 bars (~67dBm). But I don't always get 4G. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But my signal strength stays the same.

Note: I know that when using a Network Extender that the data can still be completely independent. But, that is my point. Under all conditions, not just with the Network Extender. It's just easier to see and to test with a NE at your disposal.

-Frank

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I have that app! -72dBm 2asu

I am in NYC, which I would think would be a very strong 4G area. The fact that I have unusable data modes bothers me, that is what I got the phone for!

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the battery cover is on snug as well.

I use the extended battery, for which the cover is never really that snug. Does make me wonder, considering the early controversy over the antennas in it, whether it would get as good reception as the stock?

Could be no difference between the two on a practical basis, but would be an interesting experiment.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed 2 things with this radio regarding 4G:

1. At my home, where 4G works great, when I switch from 3G to 4G via the phone settings, it takes longer than it did before to switch. Before, when I'd switch from "CDMA auto PRL" to "CDMA +LTE/EvDO auto" it would instantly shut off the 3G icon, then about 5 seconds later, the 4G-LTE icon would appear. Now, the 3G icon stays lit, for up to about 30 seconds, before it switches over. Everything still seems to work fine once that has occurred. It's a smoother transition, but seems to take a little longer for it to actually occur.

2. Yesterday, while at the grocery store (where I usually only get 1 or 2 bars of service and 4G data is spotty at best), I noticed that had switched over to 3G, whereas I hadn't on the old radio.

Both of these could explain why someone who was able to get 4G on the old radio, can't get it now. And I also agree it's probably a "good" thing if it's a case where the phone is defaulting to 3G sooner in areas with "fringe" 4G service.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My house sits in a fairly weak 4G area. I used to leave 4G turned off because I was having issues with it switching between 3G and 4G so much it was causing data issues. I originally installed the MR2 leak in June and since then i've been able to get and keep a good 4G connection in my house. I installed the newest MR2 this weekend and it seems about the same. I might be getting one less bar for signal strength but I still get a good 4G connection (download ~12kbps/upload 4-7kbps). Kind of weird how the update can make some people's experience better and some worse.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
...also, try to pull the battery while the phone is on, open the sim card tray and let the phone sit for about 3-5 minutes, then put the battery back in and restart.

Wait? A battery pull is supposed to be done with the phone on? I always assumed power down then pull it and open the SIM drawer?

No?

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's been discussed on these forums before, but the number of bars your phone displays, or the number of -dBs you show in Phone Info have NOTHING to do with LTE signal strength. There are 0 apps or phone setting screens I have found (and I've spent a couple hours looking) that show LTE signal strength.

As a reference, we would be seeing LTE signal strength numbers in the -36dB range, which we clearly are not. We're seeing 3G and 1X signal strength bars and numbers.

Here's what kind of reading we need to see, if we want to talk about LTE strength:

network-01.jpg

Source: Last image here: Determine Signal Type / Strength - VZAccess Manager (Macintosh) - 4G

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It's been discussed on these forums before, but the number of bars your phone displays, or the number of -dBs you show in Phone Info have NOTHING to do with LTE signal strength. There are 0 apps or phone setting screens I have found (and I've spent a couple hours looking) that show LTE signal strength.

As a reference, we would be seeing LTE signal strength numbers in the -36dB range, which we clearly are not. We're seeing 3G and 1X signal strength bars and numbers.

Here's what kind of reading we need to see, if we want to talk about LTE strength:

network-01.jpg

Source: Last image here: Determine Signal Type / Strength - VZAccess Manager (Macintosh) - 4G

Interesting. I knew about the bars, but not the other. Guess I will call VZW and have them check my area to see if anything is wrong.

Mooch10

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I thought this update fixed the re-boots. My phone re booted twice today, once just sitting on my desk and the second time while I was writing an email.....

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm having major signal problems. Before the update it was sporadic and it would just be off. Now its off and on constantly to where I can't rely on this thing. I'm in 3g only area so I put it to cdma with no help. Did the battery and sim no help. When I got this phone back I April I remember that first day it would only go into 1x and not 3g. Back at he store they couldn't figure out why but did a factory rest and it started working in 3g. Makes me wonder......

cliffh44

Banned
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that the signal strength does not directly relate to the usability of the data network.

Example: I have a VZW Network Extender at home. I always get 4 bars (~67dBm). But I don't always get 4G. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But my signal strength stays the same.

Note: I know that when using a Network Extender that the data can still be completely independent. But, that is my point. Under all conditions, not just with the Network Extender. It's just easier to see and to test with a NE at your disposal.

-Frank

So are you saying your network extender operates on 3G and 4G?

If so, let me know where to get one b/c I'd sure like to have one.