New OTA ? LTE vs. battery life tradeoffs?

Steve.P

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
With all of the complaints about the Thunderbolt?s battery life I am curious if HTC/VZW has made any design changes that may favor battery life at the expense of LTE performance. Specifically, has anyone been experiencing any of the following?

1. Network mode set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo Auto ? anyone notice that they no longer get LTE in an area that they previously would get LTE?

2. Network mode set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo Auto ? anyone notice that it now takes longer to switch from 3G to LTE when traveling into a LTE area?

3. Network mode set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo Auto ? switching from LTE to 3G in a LTE area that previously did not have this problem?

4. Can the Thunderbolt still be forced into the LTE only mode using the Phone Information (*#*#4636#*#*) screen? VZW just turned on LTE where I live and the only way for me to get LTE is to use this method. If this option is removed I would rather not use the new OTA.

5. Any other problems that may be attributed to battery life design changes?

I have read that some people have reported these types of issues in the ?New OTA impact thread - please report in? but just not sure how widespread it may be. I am still using the previous OTA (build 1.13.605.7) with little problems (only two reboots in 12 days). I am all up for better battery life but not at the expense of LTE!

Steve

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have not experienced any of that, but on a reboot, it now takes my TB about a minute to recognize 4G. I did do the battery pull and 2 minute SIM pull suggested in other threads, but I was not really having the issue. On mine, all I had to do was switch once to CDMA only and then back to LTE/CDMA for it to see 4G really well.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I just responded in another thread. Yes, I am having a hard time maintaining 4G even in strong 4G areas. And if it drops to 3G it takes forever and twenty days to return to 4G. However, I am also losing signal completely at times. :( I always had VERY strong signal before the update.