URGENT: WTF did I just do?

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
In frustration of trying to get my phone case off, I turned my Thunderbolt off so I didn't have to worry about mashing buttons. Once I got it off, I turned my phone on, and I think I may have been holding the volume button down, and it booted into this white screen with a bunch of colored options and three green android guys at the bottom.

In fear I messed something up big time, I just mashed the power button to turn it off. That seemed to reboot the phone, BUT it went into the factory restore screen and deleted EVERYTHING. Now I'm at the choose language screen!

AHHHH

Any way to get everything back? (not talking apps, I know those restore) I'm talking things like contacts (which were on phone, not synced), home screen arrangement etc.

God this blows nuts.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry pal I think you are out of luck. Sounds like you factory reset and you are pretty much going to have to start from scratch again. Not sure why you dont sync your contacts with gmail... Would have made life MUCH easier.

Live and learn I guess

Good Luck

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In frustration of trying to get my phone case off, I turned my Thunderbolt off so I didn't have to worry about mashing buttons. Once I got it off, I turned my phone on, and I think I may have been holding the volume button down, and it booted into this white screen with a bunch of colored options and three green android guys at the bottom.

In fear I messed something up big time, I just mashed the power button to turn it off. That seemed to reboot the phone, BUT it went into the factory restore screen and deleted EVERYTHING. Now I'm at the choose language screen!

AHHHH

Any way to get everything back? (not talking apps, I know those restore) I'm talking things like contacts (which were on phone, not synced), home screen arrangement etc.

God this blows nuts.

You just booted In recovery and did a factory reset. U now have set everthing up again if you have not applied the mr2 now would be a good time to do it.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry pal I think you are out of luck. Sounds like you factory reset and you are pretty much going to have to start from scratch again. Not sure why you dont sync your contacts with gmail... Would have made life MUCH easier.

Live and learn I guess

Good Luck

Verizon pulled my contacts from my old phone and put them on here for me. To sync them to google, I have to change them from "Phone" to "my email address" which deletes the name of the person. I am not re-writing 800+ peoples names lol.

Guess I'll have to anyway, this sucks!

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my apps just restored, I only had 8 lol...

Contacts seem to have magically reappeared, this is great! I'm not sure how as I'm 100% certain i never had them synced.

what about settings, ringtone settings etc? do those get restored?

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
easy to do? not really,you have to hold the power button and the volume down key for about 5 seconds. so dont blame the manu for your fault. plus take the time to read what your doing instead of just smashing buttons.
sorry just my 2 cents
glad that everything came back for you

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
easy to do? not really,you have to hold the power button and the volume down key for about 5 seconds. so dont blame the manu for your fault. plus take the time to read what your doing instead of just smashing buttons.
sorry just my 2 cents
glad that everything came back for you

Well with my device being refurbished, i was afraid that was some type of boot loader or rooted phone thing and freaked out. I'd never seen it before.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow I'm really pissed off. Why do they make it so easy to boot into that? Just the way I gripped the phone made me do it.

That sucks, man :(

I've never actually heard of anyone accidentally booting into recovery before. You need to hold the volume rocker DOWN and hot the power at the same time. Then use the volume rocker and power to navigate the menus. This sometimes a trick to do deliberately, let alone by accident.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Contacts seem to have magically reappeared, this is great! I'm not sure how as I'm 100% certain i never had them synced.

App and Contacts are backed up automatically to Google, if you had contacts on device and was logged into Google they where backed up then, that why they was able to restore...

Now setting and ringtones are lost in space...

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That sucks, man :(

I've never actually heard of anyone accidentally booting into recovery before. You need to hold the volume rocker DOWN and hot the power at the same time. Then use the volume rocker and power to navigate the menus. This sometimes a trick to do deliberately, let alone by accident.

I have huge hands if that matters.

Well I'm almost done getting stuff set back up.

I originally was posting this after it was booting up and then realized it restored. :(

oh well. Good thing the SIM remembers wi-fi passwords. 64 characters is a long password to type. lol

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Did you happen to have backup assistance signed in? Most likely why you're contacts synced back. Or maybe they were stored in your SIM card. Just something for future reference. Glad you got your contacts back. I know it sucks having to start from scratch. Lol.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
What he did I have done accidently quite a bit, but I always said to myself, OH NO, and stopped
and did a battery pull cuz I was too freaked out at what was definitely not a normal screen. I am
thanking my lucky stars, I didn't press anything, and just pulled the battery out!!! But he is not alone
in what he did, as for accidently getting that screen!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante