Battery life thoughts, 3G vs 4GLTE

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
4G LTE is not in my area yet so I am always on 3G, however it should be here within a week or so. I left the radio alone as I cant wait to see that 4G icon pop up, however today out of curiosity I turned off the LTE radio. I suddenly noticed a huge improvement with the battery life. I was curious if anyone had done any real tests regarding 3G service only and the 4G radio battery tests.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I haven't run any test but I live in a 3G area but travel often to LTE area and from what I've seen 4G sucks down the battery much faster then the 3G and would guess around 20% faster.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't run any test but I live in a 3G area but travel often to LTE area and from what I've seen 4G sucks down the battery much faster then the 3G and would guess around 20% faster.
I live in a supposedly 4G area, but it has trouble keeping a 4G lock and is often switching between the two. I have noticed my battery drains significantly faster when 4G is enabled. That radio must draw a lot more power.

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I too haven't run any tests on the differences between running the 3g or the 4g LTE and their effects on the battery life.

Leaving the LTE radio on versus the 3g does seem to have a little bit of an effect on the battery life but this is nothing compared to the drain of actually using the data on the 4g network. If sreaming video, music etc with the 4g you can watch the battery percentage points tick away. Since my phone is constantly updating data and the like it does limit my usage time i can get out of it. I usually keep it on 3g unless I'm docked, charging or streaming video.

My phone is sent in for repairs but when it gets back I will try a couple tests for ya.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I too haven't run any tests on the differences between running the 3g or the 4g LTE and their effects on the battery life.

Leaving the LTE radio on versus the 3g does seem to have a little bit of an effect on the battery life but this is nothing compared to the drain of actually using the data on the 4g network. If sreaming video, music etc with the 4g you can watch the battery percentage points tick away. Since my phone is constantly updating data and the like it does limit my usage time i can get out of it. I usually keep it on 3g unless I'm docked, charging or streaming video.

My phone is sent in for repairs but when it gets back I will try a couple tests for ya.

Thanks. I was a little curious if having the LTE radio on causes it to consume power thus searching for 4G radio towers, thus draining battery.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
While I'm still waiting for LTE where I live, I have spent some time in LTE areas to get a bit of a feel as to how it affects battery life.

First time was one week back in April around Jacksonville, FL. The phone had original software (pre MR1) and there was a definite increase in battery drain versus a 3G area, even while the phone was in standby.

The second time was only a few hours in Montgomery in early June with the MR1 update and the battery seemed to drain pretty quick in that short duration.

Third time was one week in mid June around Denver, CO. This time the phone had the leaked MR2 update from June 10 and I really didn't see any difference in battery drain. Also not a single random reboot the entire time in Denver or while driving there and back.

Finally, yesterday, I spent 3 hours in Montgomery testing the official MR2 update and battery life was excellent! I used a standard battery and got a little over 8 total hours, 3 of which were heavy use while in Montgomery.

By all appearances, it appears the MR2 update has improved battery life whether in LTE or 3G. Enough so that once my area gets it I don't plan on disabling it at all. In the end, I think it?s going to be more about how much you use the phone and not so much about whether LTE is on or off. In LTE, you?re probably much more likely to use it! Right? :p Regardless, a few extra batteries (one the extended) and a Seidio Multi Function Battery Charger and you always have a charged battery at the ready! :)

effingpace

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
4G destroys my battery, when i 1st got the phone (2 weeks ago) i left 4G on over night and my battery was 90% drained in 7 hours without using it, turned 4g off and i get 15+ hours of battery

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I do live a 4G area, and on every radio I've ever run (and I've run almost all of them), my battery drains less when set to 3G only than when it's set to 4G LTE...even when I'm in a 3G only area. When the 4G radio is turned on AND is connected to 4G, power consumption is at its greatest.

To be honest, I love having 4G LTE when I need it, but usually just keep my phone locked on 3G and give myself the extra bump in battery life, which based on my usual daily needs is important.