Simple way to instantly improve battery life

frankg

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wondering how many of you use this simple method to take complete control of what your TB is doing at all times....well, sort of.
First, let me preface by saying that I bought an extended battery (2750) thinking that I can finally use my TB carefree with all options on. First few days was great, then the day came in which my fully charged extended battery died mid-day, while on idle, screen off. A couple days later happened again. It was then that I realized no matter what size battery this phone has, there WILL be days where either the network or the phone or both just go nuts and suck the life right out of your battery. I tried Juice Defender, and while it did help a bit, the free version gives you no options on how often the device turns on the mobile network to sync. All you have is the "normal" and "aggressive" option, and not even the aggressive option gave me the results I wanted.
So then I found the mobile data widget. I slapped that onto my home screen, and just began to manually turn on and off mobile data as I needed it. BINGO! Instant results. Mind you, I didn't change any other setting beside screen brightness to 30%. All I'm doing is manually turning on/off 4G mobile data as I need it, so basically when I'm surfing or using apps that require data. When I'm done, I go back to home screen, shut off the data, and shut off the screen. And when I'm home, I always use wifi (and keep it on). Thats it!
I've been using this method for 10 days with the STOCK battery, and I'm going to bed every night with average of 50% battery life left. For example, today I unplugged my phone at 6:30am, and with moderate use it's 10pm and I'm at 59% with stock battery. The other day I used it more heavily and was at 40% when I went to bed.
When you turn mobile data off you still get and can send calls and texts. So all I'm doing is manipulating the phone to use data only when I need it. My experience with the phone hasn't changed, it's just that it's NOT constantly syncing when I'm not using it, which is just fine by me. And to get even better results, switch the phone to 3G.
Long press on home screen-->Widget-->Browse all HTC Widgets-->widget #52(mobile network).
A lot of you might already know this, but I haven't seen it mentioned much. Give it a try if you haven't and you might be surprised.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes these all have mentioned. Yes u can help the battery but it's a big 4g phone. So no matter what u do the battery will never be great.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Ive done that, have that mobile on/off widet right on the home screen. I would say you're not using the phone carefree with all options on. You're not getting push notifications. Everytime you want to check mail, IM's, Facebook, Twitter, etc and have to click on that widget, and it gets old, at least for me. Do I have to click a widget to turn off/on when I want to make or recieve a call?

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're lazy like me, JuiceDefender will do what frankg16 recommended automatically, except for the switching between 3G/4G.

Haven't verified, it does seem keeping the TBolt in 3G except for heavy lifting saves juice.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
...I tried Juice Defender, and while it did help a bit, the free version gives you no options on how often the device turns on the mobile network to sync. All you have is the "normal" and "aggressive" option, and not even the aggressive option gave me the results I wanted...

I have the free version of juice defender and I can use many options including custom which lets you customize a lot of options. works great for me, if I leave it on all day i still have 75% battery left by the end of the day.

frankg

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive done that, have that mobile on/off widet right on the home screen. I would say you're not using the phone carefree with all options on. You're not getting push notifications. Everytime you want to check mail, IM's, Facebook, Twitter, etc and have to click on that widget, and it gets old, at least for me. Do I have to click a widget to turn off/on when I want to make or recieve a call?

yep I understand that. I forgot to mention I'm not into facebook and twitter. I use my data primarily for web browsing and emails. I check my email maybe twice a day. maybe that's why I don't notice much of a change in experience.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
turning off data defeats the purpose of having such a fully featured device in my opinion, and while I'm willing to be vigilant (especially since I use my phone constantly), having to worry about turning things on and off all the time seems counterproductive to achieving full functionality.

I use a stock battery and pretty much always get a full days charge out of it...and like I said, I use it all the time.

How do I do it? First of all, understand what drains the battery the most...using the radio. Having 4G is great, and I love the fact that I live in an area with great 4G coverage and I do use it quite frequently...but I usually keep my phone locked on 3G mode. The fact is that 4G LTE uses more power than the 3G radio. You have to ask yourself what your needs are -- if want fast download speeds and are near a power supply frequently, then keeping the TB on 4G mode works great; but if you really want to stretch your battery, you'll literally get HOURS more on a single charge if you can sacrifice the bandwidth and set your phone to 3G mode. Able to connect to WIFI? Well, that will stretch your battery even further. Basically, when it comes to battery life:

Wifi > 3G >> 4G

Like to stream music? Well so do I. Consider this though, for a very reasonable $3.99/month, you can get a subscription for Slacker radio, which allows you to "cache" stations, so that you can download your content all at once (like overnight, while plugged in and on wifi), and playback the content later from data the app stores on your SD card. Same great personalized radio service, with no data use necessary for playback. I originally subscribed because I like to listen while riding the Metro subway system here in DC where I'm unable to get a data connection, but I use the cache feature all the time because it uses a lot less battery to listen to music all day than it does to stream it on the fly. Just one example a very easy way to stretch your battery life.

What else, well I also rooted by device and have played around with different ROMs and radios and kernels and CPU settings until I found the one that worked best*, but even if you can't or don't want to go through all that, there's no reason why you can't both enjoy your phone, and get a full days use out a single (standard) battery change.

FWIW, I'm not really into Facebook, but I have Tweetdeck for twitter, and always leave it running and updating every 12 minutes.

*currently: BAMF 1.8.6 w/ MR2 OTA radio

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
frankg's strategy is helpful, especially if you want to be able to use your phone/texts regularly without cranking up the data machine. I don't use my mobile phone or texts that much, especially when I'm at work so I prefer to use Green Power, which automatically turns off my radios when my screen is off. And I can still set it to come on every so often to collect emails or whatever so that it is more or less up-to-date when I do turn my phone back on. Problem is, however, if you're constantly using your phone, nothing is going to help but a bunch of spare batteries.

Thanks, Robrecht

frankg

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the free version of juice defender and I can use many options including custom which lets you customize a lot of options. works great for me, if I leave it on all day i still have 75% battery left by the end of the day.

the free version allows 15 & 30 minute intervals. you have to buy it to get the 1 & 2 hour options, which is fine, but a single tap on the mobile data widget is easy enough for me. its like the difference between driving manual vs auto transmissions. manual provides more control and better mileage, auto is easier but you lose some control.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
the free version allows 15 & 30 minute intervals. you have to buy it to get the 1 & 2 hour options, which is fine, but a single tap on the mobile data widget is easy enough for me. its like the difference between driving manual vs auto transmissions. manual provides more control and better mileage, auto is easier but you lose some control.
I'm not opposed to buying apps when they do what I want, but even the free version of Green Power will allow you to keep the radios off for up to 4 hours. And it's not as if you are really giving up any manual control--just touch the power switch if you want rhe data back right away.

Thanks, Robrecht

Gerardo1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
i have been doing the same since day one, i have both the wifi and mobile data widgets and only turn them on when i need them for an app, to browse the internet, or to check my email and my battery always lasts the whole day

especially right now after the update, with moderate usage after 12 hours i still have 50% left

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If you use your phone for business like me and need to get emails immediately, then its harder to go with this way of running. But just toggling off 4G until you don't need it and running on wifi when you can has drastically improved battery life for me. I'm happy. Battery life isn't really an issue with this phone for me.

Plus I have the extended battery :) So after 15 hours today I still got 65% left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad