VZW force pushing Firmware Update

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
From reading the forum,I'm sure only a small # of us passed on the optional update process to keep the free MHS.

Well, I have caught my phone attempting to auto push the update with no warning or notification. I caught it halfway through both times and did a battery pull to prevent it from completing and currently still get the message telling me the hotspots is free, but its only a matter of time before they catch me slipping...

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
From reading the forum,I'm sure only a small # of us passed on the optional update process to keep the free MHS.

Well, I have caught my phone attempting to auto push the update with no warning or notification. I caught it halfway through both times and did a battery pull to prevent it from completing and currently still get the message telling me the hotspots is free, but its only a matter of time before they catch me slipping...
i new that was comming. if you still want the hotspot you can root

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It is only a matter of time before VZW cracks down on rooted users who tether forcing them into a hotspot plan. And the biggest reason I don't root my phone is because I'm just not well versed enough into the process to feel comfortable doing it. My contract is up in January, so once I'm eligible for a new phone, I can comfortably tinker with the Thunderbolt.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have no objection to paying for the hotspots either and will once I HAVE to...but if that can be delayed it seems financially prudent to do so.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It was a legal advised promotion that gave you information on when it was starting and ending. You can avoid the update all you want but you will be billed for using the hotspot service after the promotional date ended. Do you really think they don't have any idea your SIM card tells them you are using the service lol. You act as if somehow by not taking the update, you have completely avoided the whole point of fact that it was precisely dated promotion that has expired.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You couldn't be more incorrect. There is a pop up informing me the hotspots is still free. There is no date on the pop up. They never even told me about the hotspots when I bought the phone on release day. They cannot charge me for something without disclosing their intention to charge. They don't know that I read forums and android news sites. It is and will be free until they can push this update. And currently, like you, they fail.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You couldn't be more incorrect. There is a pop up informing me the hotspots is still free. There is no date on the pop up. They never even told me about the hotspots when I bought the phone on release day. They cannot charge me for something without disclosing their intention to charge. They don't know that I read forums and android news sites. It is and will be free until they can push this update. And currently, like you, they fail.

I got a text message informing me that the hotspot was no longer free.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
You know the phone call you made to 1-800 # or when store activated your phone? The whole part of you are agreeing to service contract. Yeah you know Verizons legal department has whole section in there about promotions, promotional discounts, employee discounts, corp discounts. That states you agree to terms and conditions of Verizon wireless services. When those promotions or discounts ends you will be on "Pay-per-use" just like anyone else using the features.

You should really know you agree to terms and conditions and contract obligations of those before you ASSUME since you use something that says it is free is part of the software. Contract you started with 4G device that offered the promotion has clauses to protect them for people finding loopholes to use that service after date of promotion is over.

"My Service

Your Service terms and conditions are part of this agreement. Your Plan includes your monthly allowances and features, where you can use them (your "Coverage Area"), and their monthly and pay-per-use charges."

Like I said it does say Free I agree with you on that. That is simply what software pre-update had programed and obviously the update changes that. Just because you AVOID the update to fix the software does nothing for you obligation to pay for pay-per-use or subscription based features.

Also they sent out email, text and tons of social media stating the promotion was LIMITED time free promotion. Ignorance isn't bliss friend.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You know the phone call you made to 1-800 # or when store activated your phone? The whole part of you are agreeing to service contract. Yeah you know Verizons legal department has whole section in there about promotions, promotional discounts, employee discounts, corp discounts. That states you agree to terms and conditions of Verizon wireless services. When those promotions or discounts ends you will be on "Pay-per-use" just like anyone else using the features.

You should really know you agree to terms and conditions and contract obligations of those before you ASSUME since you use something that says it is free is part of the software. Contract you started with 4G device that offered the promotion has clauses to protect them for people finding loopholes to use that service after date of promotion is over.

"My Service

Your Service terms and conditions are part of this agreement. Your Plan includes your monthly allowances and features, where you can use them (your "Coverage Area"), and their monthly and pay-per-use charges."

Like I said it does say Free I agree with you on that. That is simply what software pre-update had programed and obviously the update changes that. Just because you AVOID the update to fix the software does nothing for you obligation to pay for pay-per-use or subscription based features.

Also they sent out email, text and tons of social media stating the promotion was LIMITED time free promotion. Ignorance isn't bliss friend.
very well said

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't agreed to any terms because the update hasn't informed of the proposed change taking place. Once the update hits, they will inform me of the terms and then I will have the option to Accept or decline. Regardless of what you may think, what they hide in a T.O.S. agreement, I assure you I won't be paying until such terms are clearly laid out. IF by some stretch you are right and they charge me, customer loyalty will remove that charge with the quickness after I profess my "ignorance" as you so eloquently put it.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I haven't agreed to any terms because the update hasn't informed of the proposed change taking place. Once the update hits, they will inform me of the terms and then I will have the option to Accept or decline. Regardless of what you may think, what they hide in a T.O.S. agreement, I assure you I won't be paying until such terms are clearly laid out. IF by some stretch you are right and they charge me, customer loyalty will remove that charge with the quickness after I profess my "ignorance" as you so eloquently put it.

This thread will prove your not ignorant. Just that you are trying to fight a system you can't win. Remember, what happens on the internet stays on the internet for all to see forever.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I truly am shocked at the amount of Billion Dollar Cell Phone company sympathizers on this thread. I have 5 phones on my account, 2 smartphones, and pay roughly $220 a month. I browse the web on my wifi xoom at work maybe a few hours a week. I use under 2 gigs between my phone and tablet the whole month. I'm pretty sure Verizon is making out just fine minus an extra $30 out of my pocket for a few weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
It's not that we sympathize with Verizon we're just stating the facts. And it's not just your $30, its everyone else who is trying to do the same thing. Verizon knows it and will do whatever it takes to get you the update and start charging you.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I truly am shocked at the amount of Billion Dollar Cell Phone company sympathizers on this thread. ...
I have no sympathy for Verizon.
... you smug judgemental @$$hats.
Nor for you, thank you very much.

For me, it's more about paying for the services I need and use. My neighbor was stealing garbage services from the garbage collection company (and us too, I suppose). The mom used to drag their 7-year-old daughter around to local bank branch offices because the bank advertized they were givng $10 to kids who read 10 books over the summer. Eventually, the local bank branches started sharing information with each other and discovered what they these people were collecting from several branches in the region. Eventually, we discovered that we were being charged a few bucks extra every month for the garbage bags that our neighbor was hiding in front of our bin late at night every week. These people live in a home that's worth 3/4 of a million dollars but apparently felt entitled to free services that the rest of the world pays for. I don't have sympathy for the banks. I don't even have sympathy for the garbage collection company. I do feel bad for the little girl who is being taught such behavior by her parents.

Reactions: DCABuckeye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol