Power consumption (wifi vs. 3g)?

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This question has been asked before but it was back in March so I wanted to get input from TBolt users who have direct experience.

Which connection uses more battery - Wifi or 3g?

Thanks in advance!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
WiFi uses a little more than 3G from what i've noticed but WiFi uses a lot less than 4G. For me though WiFi doesnt use much more and my WiFi is way faster than 3G. So if I'm looking for speed but battery saving i'll use WiFi when i'm at home.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
wifi is supposedly the least taxing. If you want your 3g to be better then put it in 3g only mode so it's not scanning for 4g.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This is just an observation from my point of view. I'm sure it varies a lot from person to person.
I am seldom in a 4G spot. My previous phones sucked battery when using WiFi, so I used 3G all the time on the Thunderbolt. I experimented for a few days with WiFi, and found the Thunderbolt WiFi to be very efficient. I now never turn it off unless I am on the car/motorcycle (no need to it to keep searching for a connection). It appears that it saves a bit of battery. And if it isn't, it is faster then the 3G connection which is all I normally get.

gwtiff54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I keep my Bolt while I'm at home on my wifi. I noticed when on 3g my battery was getting drained VERY fast. I tried wifi, in my case it has been less of a battery hog. Hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Reactions: elai1108

Malibu02

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I live in a 3G area but use wifi @ home. I dont see any noticeble difference in battery useage.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the signal of WiFi and 3G. In my house, WiFi is super strong and the 3g signal is weaker so I get better results with WiFi.

Reactions: elai1108

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the signal of WiFi and 3G. In my house, WiFi is super strong and the 3g signal is weaker so I get better results with WiFi.
Thanks for all the input.

After running wifi at work (where 4G is spotty at best) as well as at home for a few days, my battery life seems to be much better than 3G in both locations.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.

After running wifi at work (where 4G is spotty at best) as well as at home for a few days, my battery life seems to be much better than 3G in both locations.

Yea, for sure. I've gotten up to 21 hours on a stock battery while on wifi, but have only hit near 16-18 if you starting adding long 3g stints. 4g, I dunno since I only get it at work. Just to be clear, those numbers are all maxes, my personal bests, far from averages.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
wifi is way less taxing than 4g, i can't say about 3g as i haven't been in a non-4g area yet :) .keep this in mind, wifi is designed to send and receive from a distance of 150' at the most. 3g and 4g have the power to send/receive over a couple of miles. which radio do you think uses the most power?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol