NYC Thunderbolt onwers

baja141

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone from Nyc ever notice that when they take they Thunderbolt out of state the weather widget update fine but in NYC it suck. Anyone know the reason. Happen to me on Saturday. Also my coworker said it happen to him.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I travel through the entire north east region and haven't noticed any problems with the weather widget.
It only updates every 30 minutes so sometimes it just says "new york" or "new jersey" if it updates while I'm moving too fast. But I think it works fine.

baja141

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks that's what I am saying always stuck in new york. The but in new jersey, it was telling me that I was in Norwood

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the Weather Widget, here are some conclusions I have come to.

-Not all weather stations report/update at the same frequency
-Not all weather stations report 24/7
-Sometimes weather stations go off-line, just like any computer run operation

Considering the above, I believe it accounts for the varied behavior of the Weather Widget. I think the Widget tries to get the best most current info it can. But you can be sitting in one place and watch it go from <cityname> 72F to <current location> 74F to <different city> 71F. I think it just depends on which one it was able to contact with the most recent information. Obviously, loss of data connection would also affect this.

IOW, I used to worry about this, but now I think the app is doing a fairly good job with the data that it can retrieve.

Edit:
---------
Just to add another example... pilots will know about this.
One common official weather reporting station is at municipal/county airports with towers. There is a service called ATIS (Auto Terminal Information Service) to broadcast local conditions. Pilots are REQUIRED to listen to this broadcast before takeoff/landing. This is SUPPOSED to be updated hourly. However, it does not have to be "on-the-hour". I find it is OFTEN not updated for anywhere from 1 hour to 1hr + 30-45min after the expected time. Sometimes controllers FORGET to update it for as much as two hours. Also, at a lot of county airports the control tower closes at 10pm. Stopping all weather reporting. Imagine if your phone was receiving this info and then it attempted to update again at, say, 11pm - it would have to go to some other location to get the weather.

I'm just trying to say that I think there is a lot of things happening here in the background that we are not aware of when this app is attempting to display the current weather at our location.
-----------

-Frank

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer