Switch to BB Tour for International Trip w/out losing Unlim. Data

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Thunderbolt with the grandfathered unlimited data.

I will be traveling out of the country for 8 days starting Saturday.

I think I know the answer, but if I were to call Verizon and switch my phone to the BlackBerry Tour with GSM connectivity and an International Data package, I would lose my unlimited data, correct?

Or is there a way to re-gain my unlimited data when I switch back to the Thunderbolt?

My second option would be to switch my fiance's Droid Eris to the BB Tour on the International Data package. She would then lose the unlimited data... but that would be okay since she is only using 500-ishMB per month.

Switching her data package on the Share Plan would not affect the rest of the phones on the package that have unlimited data, correct?

Thanks

Brian

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Switch to BB Tour for International Trip w/out losing Unlim.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised. But... CALL VZW. They are the ONLY ones you care about. People in this forum have "opinions", but VZW will be sending you your bill! :)

-Frank

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
As long as you switch back within 14 days of switching to the Blackberry, you can submit an inactive pricing request for the unlimited data plan.

With that said there is another concern: your SIM card. If you switch away from 4G there is a chance it could mess up your SIM so you'd have to get a new one, which is free but inconvenient.

My advice is switch the Eris, not the Thunderbolt.

Sent over the most advanced 4G network in America: Verizon LTE.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as you switch back within 14 days of switching to the Blackberry, you can submit an inactive pricing request for the unlimited data plan.

With that said there is another concern: your SIM card. If you switch away from 4G there is a chance it could mess up your SIM so you'd have to get a new one.

This is correct had a family member do this last week

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Here's a thought...

Technically, the LTE SIM should be usable in a GSM device. For example, AT&T will be offering phones with GSM, UMTS, and LTE all on the same device, all provisioned through the SIM as it always has been. Even though Verizon still runs CDMA, that doesn't cause any problems and it can co-exist with the other technologies.

One SIM can serve many purposes (Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Now, whether or not Verizon can or will provision the SIM card for such use is a completely different matter. At some point, they will have to, once they release a global LTE device. Right now, I would be surprised if their systems are set up for this yet. Seems like it would be worth trying to ask the global support department, just in case.

If the Tour is SIM locked (not sure if this is the case), you would need to have VZW give you the unlock code if the LTE SIM can even be provisioned for international use.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm currently using a Thunderbolt with the grandfathered unlimited data.

I will be traveling out of the country for 8 days starting Saturday.

I think I know the answer, but if I were to call Verizon and switch my phone to the BlackBerry Tour with GSM connectivity and an International Data package, I would lose my unlimited data, correct?

Or is there a way to re-gain my unlimited data when I switch back to the Thunderbolt?

My second option would be to switch my fiance's Droid Eris to the BB Tour on the International Data package. She would then lose the unlimited data... but that would be okay since she is only using 500-ishMB per month.

Switching her data package on the Share Plan would not affect the rest of the phones on the package that have unlimited data, correct?

Thanks

Brian

what country are you going to? I have used my Verizon phone in CDMA mode in several countries. Obviously gsm has much wider support, but if your country supports Verizon's cdma network, then you should be able to use your Thunderbolt, a supported list of countries can be found here:

International Roaming

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

what country are you going to? I have used my Verizon phone in CDMA mode in several countries. Obviously gsm has much wider support, but if your country supports Verizon's cdma network, then you should be able to use your Thunderbolt, a supported list of countries can be found here:

International Roaming
I will be in St. Lucia. VZW's website lists that country as both CDMA and GSM, but I'm thinking I might as well get international data on the BB Tour since that will be cheaper than paying for internet at the resort.

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Well, according to the rep. I just talked to on *611, I would be able to use the BlackBerry Tour on a Global Data package, pro-rate it for the time that I am gone, and then go back to the Unlimited Smartphone data package when I get back. He said I would only lose the unlimited if I switched to a Feature phone and then back.

I believe him, but I think I still might do it with my fiance's phone since she wouldn't be affected by the tiered data plans if it turns out the rep. didn't know what he was talking about.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, according to the rep. I just talked to on *611, I would be able to use the BlackBerry Tour on a Global Data package, pro-rate it for the time that I am gone, and then go back to the Unlimited Smartphone data package when I get back. He said I would only lose the unlimited if I switched to a Feature phone and then back.

I believe him, but I think I still might do it with my fiance's phone since she wouldn't be affected by the tiered data plans if it turns out the rep. didn't know what he was talking about.

That is prob the safer move. The other option is to go to Verizon and have them get it in writing so when u get back there are no issues going back to your bolt

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

rot#AC

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

With that said there is another concern: your SIM card. If you switch away from 4G there is a chance it could mess up your SIM so you'd have to get a new one, which is free but inconvenient.

Can you do this with a new add a line to get unlimited data if you do it by the 20th

irie

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
The new international plans are add on features and will not affect you keeping your unlimited plan. U will keep your unlimited plan and just add the feature on top of that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I will be in St. Lucia. VZW's website lists that country as both CDMA and GSM, but I'm thinking I might as well get international data on the BB Tour since that will be cheaper than paying for internet at the resort.

I hope you don't use much data. For example, if you were to use 1GB data, then you'd be paying nearly $5,000 for first GB, based on the first 70mb @ $100, 930mb @ $5.12. Still better than what i'd be paying though, which is $20,971.52 per GB.

$30.00 Monthly Access: 25MB ($.005/KB or $5.12/MB after allowance)
$100.00 Monthly Access: 70MB ($.005/KB or $5.12/MB after allowance)
Pay Per Use Plan: $20.48/MB $0.02/KB

Calling From St. Lucia

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Here's a thought...

Technically, the LTE SIM should be usable in a GSM device. For example, AT&T will be offering phones with GSM, UMTS, and LTE all on the same device, all provisioned through the SIM as it always has been. Even though Verizon still runs CDMA, that doesn't cause any problems and it can co-exist with the other technologies.

One SIM can serve many purposes (Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Now, whether or not Verizon can or will provision the SIM card for such use is a completely different matter. At some point, they will have to, once they release a global LTE device. Right now, I would be surprised if their systems are set up for this yet. Seems like it would be worth trying to ask the global support department, just in case.

If the Tour is SIM locked (not sure if this is the case), you would need to have VZW give you the unlock code if the LTE SIM can even be provisioned for international use.

Global SIM cards (the ones with Verizon and Vodafone logos) with Verizon are not the same as LTE SIM cards (the one with Verizon LTE logo). LTE SIMs hold your account data and act as a verifying agent for any network use. Global SIMs simply verify with global roaming partners, and hold no account information.

You cannot place a Verizon LTE SIM into a Blackberry Bold's Global SIM slot and have it work, or vise-versa. Blackberry Bold's do have Global SIMs pre-installed anyway, so its of no problem. You simply have to activate the phone on your account (as I recommended, I would suggest in lieu of your Eris) and have the Global Support team activate the Global SIM.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Also, you can check the cost of local carriers, it may be cheaper than Verizon i had a cdma/gsm phone, i put in local sim for normal usage, and occasionally, switched back to cdma to check to see if i had voicemail or messages. i think you should be able to do the same for any cdma/gsm verizon phone.

jdoute13

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I will also be traveling interntationally and plan to activate my BB Storm 2 (oh how I hate to go back to that thing) since I will be in a GSM area. I've called and verified with Verizon (TWICE) that all I have to do is call to activate the Storm and the Global Plan (they used to have such a great global plan with 65.00 unlimited data) and make sure I update the SIM before I leave. Upon returning, have them reactivate the TBolt. I specifically asked both times if it would affect my contract and the existing unlimited data plans I currently have and both times they assurred me it wouldn't. I hope it goes as smoothly as that. Good Luck...

But I sure wish Verizon could have come out with at least one 4G international (meaning GSM and CDMA) phone. I don't ever seem to travel anywhere I can use just the plain old CDMA network.

jdoute13

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Just as a follow up based on recent experience/travels...I reactivated my BB Storm 2 and used that phone with the 70MB/100.00 global data plan (prorated for the days I was traveling). Upon return I deactivated the Storm and reactivated the Thunderbolt. I did have to replace the SIM card in the TBolt because I was told that once the SIM is deactivated (or in Verizon's words, "retired", it cannot be reactivated). This is unique for the 4G SIMS because they do not work the same way the card in the Storm works. The SIM cards are free so it wasn't a big deal - unless I count the fact that it took two Store Techs and two SIM cards and about 45minutes for them to figure out how to reactivate it. Two SIM cards because one tech dialed *228 even after I told him not to...(he then said he didn't dial, "the phone dialed it on its own"....(yes, seriously). My unlimited data plan and everything else I had on my original TBolt plan was not changed.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Just as a follow up based on recent experience/travels...I reactivated my BB Storm 2 and used that phone with the 70MB/100.00 global data plan (prorated for the days I was traveling). Upon return I deactivated the Storm and reactivated the Thunderbolt. I did have to replace the SIM card in the TBolt because I was told that once the SIM is deactivated (or in Verizon's words, "retired", it cannot be reactivated). This is unique for the 4G SIMS because they do not work the same way the card in the Storm works. The SIM cards are free so it wasn't a big deal - unless I count the fact that it took two Store Techs and two SIM cards and about 45minutes for them to figure out how to reactivate it. Two SIM cards because one tech dialed *228 even after I told him not to...(he then said he didn't dial, "the phone dialed it on its own"....(yes, seriously). My unlimited data plan and everything else I had on my original TBolt plan was not changed.
Thanks for the feedback. "Dialed it on its own"... Hahahahahaha.... :D

-Frank

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc