Firmware update for rooted phone.

EeyoreDNL

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone just downloaded the firmware update 1.70.605.0. I'm rooted with a stock ROM. Will this update brick my phone? Will I loose the root?

Thanks!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My phone just downloaded the firmware update 1.70.605.0. I'm rooted with a stock ROM. Will this update brick my phone? Will I loose the root?

Thanks!

The absolute best rule of thumb when it comes to official OTAs when your rooted is...NEVER EVER INSTALL THEM. Yes, you will loose root. There is always the chance it could brick, but if you install the official update on your rooted ROM you will more than likely run into some problems you'd like to stay away from. Remember kids...JUST SAY NO! ;-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

EeyoreDNL

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
How do I then stop the damn phone from downloading the update over and over. I rejected the install an it was downloaded again. Killed my battery.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How do I then stop the damn phone from downloading the update over and over. I rejected the install an it was downloaded again. Killed my battery.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have done some thinking on this. I wonder if an app like Droidwall could block the app the downloads the official OTAs? Of course, the best way I've found to not receive those updates is to install an AOSP based ROM. That way Verizon's servers would "see" your phone to push an update to it.

deesto

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have done some thinking on this. I wonder if an app like Droidwall could block the app the downloads the official OTAs? Of course, the best way I've found to not receive those updates is to install an AOSP based ROM. That way Verizon's servers would "see" your phone to push an update to it.

You mean not see your phone, correct? If it can't be seen from their side, they can't send it a push.

Would like some more info on this as well: it looks like an auto push (or a semi-auto-push) last night may have screwed up my GPS reception. Whenever I've seen update notifications I've always "just said no", but it seems possible today that my "no" somehow got automatically vetoed overnight.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You mean not see your phone, correct? If it can't be seen from their side, they can't send it a push.

Would like some more info on this as well: it looks like an auto push (or a semi-auto-push) last night may have screwed up my GPS reception. Whenever I've seen update notifications I've always "just said no", but it seems possible today that my "no" somehow got automatically vetoed overnight.

Yeah man, sorry about the typo. They would not see it. That not good to hear, I hate when my GPS isn't working, been trying to get working for about 3 months now. :-( Have you checked to see if it changed your build version. Hopefully it didn't update, maybe a simple reflash would solve the issue.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If they don't see the phone how do they know.how many texts are sent or minutes of calling time used?

Yes they can still tell how much data is being used and how many minutes you've used based of your phone# and whatnot because that's all associated to Verizon. Their update servers however will no longer see the phone because is not running official software, and thus it will not push the update to it.

Ratbastrd

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If you go on XDAs forum - there is a thread with the OTA rom - you have to install it with Clockwork recovery and flash the new radio in HBoot (took about 20 minutes to do both) and then it won't try to install the update anymore.

Is this the only way to prevent the auto update of the OTA? This sucks, I have caught the phone twice now downloading the update without my knowledge.

One more question. If I am running a custom ROM, can Verizon tell that I am tethering wired/wirelessly? Or would they simply see data moving via that phone?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22