Goodbye Thunderbolt. No VPN for MHS

RocketNJ

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Verizon will be downgrading my Thunderbolt to a Droid X2.

Problem is I need to be able to use the Cisco QuickVPN client on my laptop when using the phone as a mobile hotspot. The Thunderbolt will not pass the VPN due to it using a private NAT IP address. Verizon will not give my phone (or any 4G phone) a public IP.

They only will give public IPs to some modems/MiFis and some 3G phones. My 3G MiFi I had did have a public IP and the Quick VPN worked fine from the laptop.

Since the VPN connection is a necessity I am forced to downgrade to a 3G phone to get a public IP assigned. I'll have to suffer with the slower speed. Right now most of the county where I live/work/travel is only 3G coverage at this time. The data that I will be using on the phone is small bandwidth stuff so 3G should suffice. Since it is a work provided phone I really don't care. I get paid by the hour so if it takes longer to do things, so be it...

So, be forewarned! The 4G mobile hotspot on the phone is not 100% the same as the older 3G MiFi.
Verizon again strikes with ways to restrict the use of their phones and network.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
To clarify for readers, saying "no VPN for MHS" is a bit misleading due to being generic. I have no issues establishing a VPN connection on my laptop over MHS which is using IPSec.

Reactions: Dragon1473

Dragon1473

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
To clarify for readers, saying "no VPN for MHS" is a bit misleading due to being generic. I have no issues establishing a VPN connection on my laptop over MHS which is using IPSec.

Good to know. I just got set up for VPN / Remote Access where I work and I know we use IPSec.

Thanks! :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it depends on the specific client. The specific VPN client is often (usually?) provided by corporate IT and is the only client authorized to be used. It is often "tweaked" to corporate IT specs. Whatever the client technical requirements are, you are stuck with.

-Frank

meballard

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I just did a quick test out of curiosity, if you force the phone to 3G only, and then go into ##778#, Edit Mode, 000000, Modem Settings, and set Rev. A to Enable (instead of eHRPD), you will then get a 3G public IP address instead of a private address.

You could then leave Rev. A set to Enable, and just switch from 4G to 3G when you need to VPN, then back to 4G for everything else.

RocketNJ

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Other than it using a public IP for the 3G connection, is there any downside to these settings if I leave Rev A enabled permanently?

I'd much rather keep the 4G phone if it will work.

And to clarify, yes IP Sec VPN works fine on the TBolt with stock settings but the Cisco QuickVPN client does not.

Dave

I just did a quick test out of curiosity, if you force the phone to 3G only, and then go into ##778#, Edit Mode, 000000, Modem Settings, and set Rev. A to Enable (instead of eHRPD), you will then get a 3G public IP address instead of a private address.

You could then leave Rev. A set to Enable, and just switch from 4G to 3G when you need to VPN, then back to 4G for everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12