SwiftKey X Free on Amazon Today

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

Thanks, Robrecht

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It is a great keyboard. You guys should definitely snag it up. I already had the paid version anyway. Probably my favorite non-swypeable keyboard, but FlexT9 (which was also a free download at one point) is my go to due to being the best jack of all trades keyboard.

gwtiff54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I had the beta. Best keyboard I have ever put my fingers on. I paid 2 bucks for it. Get it and try it out. You will love it. Makes my Bolt even sexier. :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

Thanks, Robrecht

the swiftkey problem in the stock htc mail app is why i switched to k9. i probably won't switch back, even if the problem is fixed though, since i think k9 is a better interface for my needs, and loads faster, and more customizable.

I do agree that the AI on swiftkey is great. [FONT=Verdana, Arial]btw, in case you guys haven't used it, the gestures are pretty useful, gesture down on the keyboard to close it (you can also long press the menu key), and gesture right to left to delete the last word. you can also gesture upward to switch between lower case, upper case, and caps lock. the options has some nice customizations as well.[/FONT] By default, the space completes the word, I set it back to space only being a space.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded.

FYI There are NETWORK ERRORS during language setup - keep trying and it will go through. Looks like their servers are getting hammered today.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded.

FYI There are NETWORK ERRORS during language setup - keep trying and it will go through. Looks like their servers are getting hammered today.

yeah, download language is very very slow and had errors, but went through. normally, language pack would download quickly.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Damn shame they need a credit card # to get free stuff. Seems stupid. I gave up on credit cards don't use them or have any desire to use them. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Great keyboard... I bought it a couple weeks ago when they had the $1.99 deal. It's been my primary keyboard for a couple months now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Damn shame they need a credit card # to get free stuff. Seems stupid. I gave up on credit cards don't use them or have any desire to use them. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

you can use a debit card as well, many banks will give those out free, though i never use it because of the potential security problems. you can also do some rebates, look for the ones that give you debit cards.

Reactions: rcmarks314

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Worth every penny, even if it's free today. Fantastic keyboard!

Transmitted on 4G LTE from my Thunderbolt, using Tapatalk

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
you can use a debit card as well, many banks will give those out free, though i never use it because of the potential security problems. you can also do some rebates, look for the ones that give you debit cards.

I didn't think of using the rebate card. Thanx. I do have debit too but for the same reason as you I would never use it. Used the Verizon card I got for a rebate last year. Once again many thanx.

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've used the old version as well as the X beta. Predictive typing is a good idea and can work reasonably well. But I go back to other keyboards because of two issues:

1. I haven't been able to add words to the dictionary. There are words that I type regularly that I have to completely spell out every time because Swiftkey refuses to learn/recognize them.

2. I write in English and Spanish. Swiftkey's "automatic detection" doesn't work nearly as well as a dedicated option would.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
yeah, download language is very very slow and had errors, but went through. normally, language pack would download quickly.

I have a feeling Swiftkey's servers are being swamped today, hence the slow language pack download. I got my Swiftkey X from the market and language pack downloads have always been nice and fast. I'm sure things will be back to normal tomorrow.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... 2. I write in English and Spanish. Swiftkey's "automatic detection" doesn't work nearly as well as a dedicated option would.
I also write occasionally in French, German and Dutch but usually only have it set on one language at a time. Now that the press for foreign characters is working again, this is an acceptable compromise for me.

Thanks, Robrecht

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
the swiftkey problem in the stock htc mail app is why i switched to k9. i probably won't switch back, even if the problem is fixed though, since i think k9 is a better interface for my needs, and loads faster, and more customizable. ...
It seems like that should be an easy fix and I'm encouraged that they finally obtained a ThunderBolt today (they're in England) to work on this.

I too tried K9 but IIRC it had the same problem that the earlier version of SwiftKey had, namely, I couldn't see what I was typing in landscape mode in the stock HTC email app.

Thanks, Robrecht

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I also write occasionally in French, German and Dutch but usually only have it set on one language at a time. Now that the press for foreign characters is working again, this is an acceptable compromise for me.

Thanks, Robrecht

So you go into the program settings and disable the other languages in order to change? Do you have to re-download language packs that way?