Activation and a BAD ESN/MEID/IMEI

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at buying a couple used thunderbolts and the guy gave me their IMEI numbers. I tried calling verizon 1-800 tech support line and they didn't know what to do with an IMEI number, they wanted an ESN/MEID number. I then tried calling my local store and the rep there was confused by the IMEI number as well. She didn't think that Verizon used IMEI numbers. Though she tried putting the numbers in the system to see what she could get. The numbers pulled up accounts, but she could not tell if they were clean from that. So, she contacted tech support and they told her that they thought the accounts had a lock on them. It all sounded like they didn't know what they were doing, so I contacted the seller and asked him to send me the MEID HEX # in the battery compartments so I could try those.

In the mean time, I tried putting the numbers into the activate a new device screen in my verizon account (image 1 below) and it gave a popup that said "Thank You! Your new device is 4G enabled..." (image 2 below). I clicked on cancel activation as I have not actually made the exchange for the phones yet and therefore did not want to go ahead and activate it on my line.

After all that, my question is... Does getting that popup mean that the devices' IMEI/ESN/MEID's are clean. Or, is that just an acknowledgement that they are 4g devices and it would have told me at a later step that the numbers were not good. Or phrased differently, at what point in the online activation process would it tell me that a device ID number was bad?

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Verizon Rep @ Customer Care, I think that you might be able to get those activated, but getting a 4G SIM might be difficult. I've never had anyone try. But it is no surprise that the VZW Store is clueless, we activate 4G devices all day for them. I haven't had a BAD ESN T-Bolt come through to me yet over the phone, but I will let you know what I find out if I do have one.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly sure that the MEID (and the associated pESN) is actually stored on the SIM card (not sure if it is provisioned at activation or set permanently at time of manufacturer). This makes activation and device swaps easier.

If you look at the box of a new Thunderbolt, it only has the IMEI printed on it. I am not sure if VZW even runs an IMEI blacklist yet to prevent someone from putting a SIM in a lost or stolen device. Hopefully they will set this up to prevent insurance fraud and/or the resale of stolen phones, but this is all new stuff for VZW and it may take time for them to decide how they want to handle this.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci