How to make notification sound for Gmail stop?

SuzisZoo#AC

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got a Thunderbolt after having an Incredible for a year. Love it so far...I'm in a 4g area and can't believe how fast this thing is.

Obviously after having the Incredible for a year, I know my way around the Thunderbolt pretty well since most of it is similar. However, I have one annoying problem I can't figure out, and my searches on here haven't found a solution. I have the Gmail app, and I keep getting a sound notification every time I have an email. With the Incredible, I could set it to *not* have a sound notification but to still have the notification at the top of the screen and the LED light. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the sound notification on the Thunderbolt without also disabling the LED and the little Gmail envelope on the top of the screen.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

puphyq

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Thunderbolt after having an Incredible for a year. Love it so far...I'm in a 4g area and can't believe how fast this thing is.

Obviously after having the Incredible for a year, I know my way around the Thunderbolt pretty well since most of it is similar. However, I have one annoying problem I can't figure out, and my searches on here haven't found a solution. I have the Gmail app, and I keep getting a sound notification every time I have an email. With the Incredible, I could set it to *not* have a sound notification but to still have the notification at the top of the screen and the LED light. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the sound notification on the Thunderbolt without also disabling the LED and the little Gmail envelope on the top of the screen.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
AWESOMENESS! It worked for the Incredible 2 also!

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes... open your gmail account... Menu > More > Settings > select the account > at the bottom you will see Labels to notify > Inbox > Email notification - Uncheck... then go back and do Priority Inbox

I'm having the same problems with the email sound, but turning off the notification doesn't disable the sound. It still goes off. I have been forced to lower the alert volume altogether to off. Is there any other settings that I could change that would disable the email sounds? And how do you setup priority inbox?

Posted From My Sprint EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Try this and see if it works for you:

Follow fatboy97's directions to get to the "Labels to Notify" section. Then click on inbox and click on "Ringtone", then select silent. I left email notifications enabled, and I no longer get a noise when I receive an email.

Reactions: the2ndflood

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Try this and see if it works for you:

Follow fatboy97's directions to get to the "Labels to Notify" section. Then click on inbox and click on "Ringtone", then select silent. I left email notifications enabled, and I no longer get a noise when I receive an email.

When I open the Gmail app and goto Menu/More/Settings, I don't see any settings or options for Labels or ringtones. Are we both talking about the settings in the Gmail app, that you access by pressing the Menu button on the phone, then going to (More) which has 3 dots on it, then going to (Settings)? Or am I accessing the wrong settings?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Would the fact that I'm using an EVO3D mean that my menus and settings are different then they are on other Android phones?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not positive that your EVO 3D is the same as the Bolt, but I open GMail, click menu, more, settings, then choose my gmail account under "Account settings". I scroll to the bottom once that opens and click on "Labels To Notify", then "Inbox", then click on "Ringtone", and set that to "Silent". Let me know if that works.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not positive that your EVO 3D is the same as the Bolt, but I open GMail, click menu, more, settings, then choose my gmail account under "Account settings". I scroll to the bottom once that opens and click on "Labels To Notify", then "Inbox", then click on "Ringtone", and set that to "Silent". Let me know if that works.

I don't have an option to click on my account at that stage. All I have access to from that menu is (Account) and (Settings). And in settings I have all three notifications off, but the alerts still keep going off. Its really annoying. Thanks for trying to help me out. I'm grateful for any help that I can get.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an option to click on my account at that stage. All I have access to from that menu is (Account) and (Settings). And in settings I have all three notifications off, but the alerts still keep going off. Its really annoying. I also have the email LED notification turned off from the Settings main menu, but the LED's still flash for new emails.
Thanks for trying to help me out. I'm grateful for any help that I can get.

Posted From My Sprint EVO3D Using Tapatalk

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Open the gmail app, menu, more, settings then scroll down to select ringtone (just after email notifications check box) then select silent.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's odd cause my wife accesses it the same way I do from her OG Droid. I would think it would be the same for every phone. So, when you open your GMail app, then click on "Menu", then click on "More" with the 3 dots, then click on "Settings", it doesn't take you to a page that looks something like this:

Settings

General Preferences

Account Settings

youremailaddress@gmail.com

Add account

Once you get there, click on your email address, scroll down to "Labels to Notify", etc.

If you're not able to get to that page, then I'm afraid this problem is beyond me. Maybe someone else knows why that page doesn't show up.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Open the gmail app, menu, more, settings then scroll down to select ringtone (just after email notifications check box) then select silent.

Under the Notifications menu option is the (Delete Account) menu option. I don't have any options for ringtones. My menu seems to be different then yours, or I'm doing something wrong.

These are the menu options that I have listed in the Settings menu area in the Gmail app:

Account Settings
General Settings
Send & Receive
Notification Settings
Delete Account

Why don't I have the menu options that you have? Is there any other way to access the Gmail app settings outside of the app?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
That's odd cause my wife accesses it the same way I do from her OG Droid. I would think it would be the same for every phone. So, when you open your GMail app, then click on "Menu", then click on "More" with the 3 dots, then click on "Settings", it doesn't take you to a page that looks something like this:

Settings

General Preferences

Account Settings

youremailaddress@gmail.com

Add account

Once you get there, click on your email address, scroll down to "Labels to Notify", etc.

If you're not able to get to that page, then I'm afraid this problem is beyond me. Maybe someone else knows why that page doesn't show up.

No I don't have my email address located on the menu. I posted which options that I do have; so you can see what I see in the menu. I hope I can find a way to fix this. I hate getting sounds when I get new email and I hate the blinking LED for emails. I could have sworn that I could set different LED colors for different alerts; do you know how to get to that menu?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but do you have the most recent version of the gmail app? Beyond that, is there a way to choose a ringtone when you click on notification settings? Also, have you checked with other EVO3D owners to see if they have the same options as you? or are theirs the same as what the Bolt has?

Maybe it's different on different carriers.....

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but do you have the most recent version of the gmail app? Beyond that, is there a way to choose a ringtone when you click on notification settings? Also, have you checked with other EVO3D owners to see if they have the same options as you? or are theirs the same as what the Bolt has?

Thats not a stupid question. Yes I have the latest version of the Gmail app, but I think I have finally figured out what is happening.When I access Gmail through the Gmail app" I'm not given the full list of settings and options, but if I access Gmail through the App Market, then I am taken to the default email client and from there I can access the full list of settings. So for anyone else who is having this problem, try accessing Gmail through the Gmail Email app profile page in the Android App Market store. Then you can access all of the settings and options, and then choose what type of notifications that you want to be notified by.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Good job figuring that out. I don't think I ever would have thought of going through the market.

Thanks! :) I'm really glad that I tried that method, because I thought I was going to be dealing with this issue for as long as I owned this phone. Now I don't have to be annoyed anymore by the excessive sounds and flashing lights, going off ever 10 minutes, each time I received an email. Thanks for your help as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie