Advice on purchasing

silentkiddo

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. This is my first posting on Android Central. I'm considering the HTC Thunderbolt as my first 4G LTE device (but not my first Android) and I wanted to know if now is a good time to get one or if I should wait.

I've done my research and plan on rooting immediately to install a new ROM to help with battery life and ultimately to tinker around. I understand the bad points about the Thunderbolt and also the good ones. The Motorola Bionic doesn't seem like my kind of machine nor worth the wait in my opinion. Nor does the Samsung Galaxy S II.

What I'm wondering is whether HTC may be coming out with a new LTE handset soon. Has anyone heard of rumors pointing towards one? The only thing coming up that seems worth a wait is the new ICS units this Nov/Dec. Any input on this matter would be appreciated.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I would get something from Craigslist with enough value to resell and to tide you over here are sure to be many better LTE devices between now and the end of the year. Just my opinion though. My educated up to he minute tech news reading opinion.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to root then there is nothing that can beat it IMO. Even unrooted I'd choose the bolt over the other 4g phones. For MY purposes its the best.

No rumors of new devices too aside from SGII and bionic. Might have to wait until CES in Jan.

There might be more 4g phones this year but idk, you can play the waiting for next best phone game forever.

silentkiddo

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've gone through about 4 devices the past two years all through Craigslist and started my Android experience with the Droid 1. Great phone and I loved how developers were all over the phone. In fact, that's the main reason I want the Thunderbolt, aside from the LTE data network.

Do you think the Thunderbolt will have a good resell value considering it's been out since last March? If anything I'd want to upgrade to a Nexus IF Verizon happens to get it this year.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
ThunderBolt may not hold its value too much longer considering all the new dual core phones. Everywhere I look on Craigslist people are trying to trade ThunderBolts for a Samsung Droid Charge and none visa versa. So Idk it's a tough decision

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would get something from Craigslist with enough value to resell and to tide you over here are sure to be many better LTE devices between now and the end of the year. Just my opinion though. My educated up to he minute tech news reading opinion.

just be ware that buying a used phone has no warranty. It's cheaper through CL, but there's a risk.