Gingerbread Q3

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yay GB will finally be here.

Oh wait, what does it do differently than froyo?

One of the main benefits to Gingerbread that is applicable to the Thunderbolt is its resource management... if any service is using too many resources in the background, Gingerbread kills it. This helps the phone run faster and improves battery life.

With that said, I will wait a week or two once its released before I get it, as it is almost guaranteed to have some kind of bugs. There are always bugs.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
One of the main benefits to Gingerbread that is applicable to the Thunderbolt is its resource management... if any service is using too many resources in the background, Gingerbread kills it. This helps the phone run faster and improves battery life.

With that said, I will wait a week or two once its released before I get it, as it is almost guaranteed to have some kind of bugs. There are always bugs.

Quoted for truth about always having bugs....

zman3001

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This seems to make sense. I think they wanted to release Gingerbread with that update in July, but they knew that they needed to take care of the reboot problem and take away the free wifi tether thing first. I'm betting/hoping on by the end of August for the update, maybe 1st week in September.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I was being funny. I've been on and off GB for a while ( various AOSP, first gb leak, recent gb leak) and honestly have noticed not much difference from froyo. Aside from the sense 2.1 overlay which runs on froyo as well.

GB is being romanticized way to much. Some are going to be a little disappointed once it finally comes. [looks at mikeis]

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
>> GB is being romanticized way to much

Agreed. I'm quite pleased with the Froyo MR2 update. Everything just works. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

They fixed the GPS, they fixed the re-boots - If they can improve the battery life with the GB release, I will consider it a finished product. It's just a shame that it's going to take six months after the release of the phone to get it working well.....I guess that's just they way these things work these days.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That Mike fella still isn't happy.

GB is being romanticized way to much. Some are going to be a little disappointed once it finally comes. [looks at mikeis]

Most of us realize that Mike loves to talk about Gingerbread. Can we please move on now and not have to referrance his name every time the word Gingerbread comes up. Enough is enough already. Every time I here the word Gingerbread I have his name stuck in my head.
:-X Thank You :-X

No need for follow up comments.. keep the thread moving.;)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Most of us realize that Mike loves to talk about Gingerbread. Can we please move on now and not have to referrance his name every time the word Gingerbread comes up. Enough is enough already. Every time I here the word Gingerbread I have his name stuck in my head.
:-X Thank You :-X

No need for follow up comments.. keep the thread moving.;)

Move along ;)

When gingerbread comes it will be ok. Froyo was the big step, gb is just ok.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Move along ;)

When gingerbread comes it will be ok. Froyo was the big step, gb is just ok.

Agreed... GB will not be a drastic improvement. Icecream Sandwich on the other hand... now that's something to look forward to. You have Froyo/GB mixed with Honeycomb... that's what's going to be the game changer on how the OS looks and runs. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread isnt that great until you skype/gchat your kid on their birthday when in between meetings on a business trip.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread isnt that great until you skype/gchat your kid on their birthday when in between meetings on a business trip.

Skype/Gtalk Video are both extremely awesome feature... shame the Thunderbolt never officially got Skype Video when it was supposed to... and will not even be close to the first Android phone to have it.