Glory be to God! Blockbuster is not listed in My Apps anymore!

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Glory be to God! Blockbuster is not listed in My Apps anymore

The reason it appears to me to be much better than any previous BB apps is because it doesn't need a way to turn off background movie updates because it doesn't do that at all anymore! It simply displays about two pages of movies (updated when you have the app open, not in the background) and at the bottom of each page it asks if you want [More Movies?]. This effectively eliminates the need for the app to ever download a movie list in the background. Therefore, there is no setting to disable background updates because they're not happening.

I was able to verify with Watchdog Task Monitor that BB ain't doing anything in the background.

Sorry for any earlier misleading info. I hadn't checked into it for a week or so.

-Frank

I agree Frank. I checked the new version myself and it is only downloading data on request with the app open rather than in the background hence the lack of a Disable Background Updates function anymore. Now, one more update to let me Move to SD and I won't complain about this app anymore. I doubt I'll ever use it but at least it will be as innocuous as it can get without being removed via root access.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I agree Frank. I checked the new version myself and it is only downloading data on request with the app open rather than in the background hence the lack of a Disable Background Updates function anymore. Now, one more update to let me Move to SD and I won't complain about this app anymore. I doubt I'll ever use it but at least it will be as innocuous as it can get without being removed via root access.
Yep.

Also, the erroneous update available notice from within the app has also ceased for me now. I did do a battery/Sim pull and restart for other reasons, but after that the BB app is working perfectly. I don't know if the battery/Sim pull had anything to do with it though.

-Frank

ulmerj79

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Bloat apps like this are the main reason I rooted my phone. In the new age of tiered data, it's not really fair to the consumer for the carrier to be force-pushing data back and forth without the phone owner's consent though an app most dont want or need. If I want an app, I go to the market and purchase/download it. This is an item I PURCHASED and OWN and am not RENTING or LEASING. It is my property and will only have software on it that I want to have, not what Verizon thinks will add to my user experience. Poor battery life and wasted memory isnt a good user experience imo. A snappy, responsive device is. Thank goodness we have such a great dev community for this otherwise awesome phone.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

In the new age of tiered data, it's not really fair to the consumer for the carrier to be force-pushing data back and forth without the phone owner's consent though an app most don't want or need.
+1. Generally, I am a (perhaps reluctant sometimes) supporter of VZW's decisions regarding data. I mean, the writing is on the wall that voice minutes is NOT where the money is at anymore. But... you have a very very good point here that I have never considered. Generally, I'm kinda "ho-hum" on the "Bloatware" issue. More trouble complaining about it than the apps cause themselves. But this potential unwanted data movement is a very good point. "In the new age of tiered data", indeed.

Edit: I should note that the new Blockbuster app does not fall into this category now, but... some "vendor included" promotional type apps could.

-Frank

Last edited:

ulmerj79

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
+1. Generally, I am a (perhaps reluctant sometimes) supporter of VZW's decisions regarding data. I mean, the writing is on the wall that voice minutes is NOT where the money is at anymore. But... you have a very very good point here that I have never considered. Generally, I'm kinda "ho-hum" on the "Bloatware" issue. More trouble complaining about it than the apps cause themselves. But this potential unwanted data movement is a very good point. "In the new age of tiered data", indeed.

Edit: I should note that the new Blockbuster app does not fall into this category now, but... some "vendor included" promotional type apps could.

-Frank

It wouldnt be such an issue with unlimited data, but theyre pushing all these new streaming features over their new network and then turn around and say...well youre gonna need to go ahead and give us 80 bucks per month now to get any real use out of it. Sorry but 2gb's are nothing over LTE.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01