Glory be to God! Blockbuster is not listed in My Apps anymore!

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
And is not asking to update all the time. I can finally use the "Update All" button in Market to update my apps. Finally!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Glory be to God! Blockbuster is not listed in My Apps anymore

And is not asking to update all the time. I can finally use the "Update All" button in Market to update my apps. Finally!
You're Welcome! :D

-Frank (God)

Wow... I swear that this is true... :) Today, just after writing the response above, I checked my email. I found an email from Blockbuster (which I actually do use occasionally). Anyway, this might explain why you're not seeing it anymore. I dunno...

-----------------------------
Hi Frank,

Blockbuster is bringing you a new application for your Android device that has higher quality video, an easier to use interface, a bigger movie catalogue, a GPS store finder and the ability to manage your by-mail Queue.

This significant improvement requires you to do a couple of things before you upgrade:

1. Try downloading any titles you want from your Library before upgrading so they'll be transferred to the new app.
  2. Don't deactivate your old app before downloading the new one — after downloading, the new app will be activated automatically.
  3. If any movies didn't make it to the new app after upgrading, you can go to your Library to download them again.
  4. If you're missing items from your Library after upgrading, please contact Customer Care
Keep an eye on the Android Market — the new app should be available in the next few days

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardClark

echotodd

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I felt the same way! Too bad it still keeps losing all my apps!

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Hi Frank,

Blockbuster is bringing you a new application for your Android device that has higher quality video, an easier to use interface, a bigger movie catalogue, a GPS store finder and the ability to manage your by-mail Queue.

This significant improvement requires you to do a couple of things before you upgrade:

1. Try downloading any titles you want from your Library before upgrading so they'll be transferred to the new app.
  2. Don't deactivate your old app before downloading the new one ? after downloading, the new app will be activated automatically.
  3. If any movies didn't make it to the new app after upgrading, you can go to your Library to download them again.
  4. If you're missing items from your Library after upgrading, please contact Customer Care
Keep an eye on the Android Market ? the new app should be available in the next few days

Oh, sad. I guess that means it's coming back soon.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like the replacement is a "new" app instead of just an "update" to the old app. If that's the case, we can just avoid downloading the new app. Might have been worth it to them to publish a brand new app just to lose all of those negatives reviews from people who had the old one forced on them. When will these software companies learn that irritating prospective customers is not a good way to turn them into paying customers.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You're Welcome! :D

-Frank (God)

Wow... I swear that this is true... :) Today, just after writing the response above, I checked my email. I found an email from Blockbuster (which I actually do use occasionally). Anyway, this might explain why you're not seeing it anymore. I dunno...

Hi Frank,

2. Don't deactivate your old app before downloading the new one

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I still have Blockbuster listed in my Apps. Guess you're just lucky!

Edit: Thanks Frank, I tried your clear data thing from your other post then I updated and when I went in to try and turn off the movie update option I found that I have that new version of Blockbuster you were e-mailed about. Now there is no option to turn off background data. Hopefully they shut it off themselves.

Last edited:

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I did not have as much a problem with Blockbuster as I did with Rhapsody... why in the hell would it need to auto-start and run constantly using almost 100 MB of RAM when I have never even opened it? That was my first reason I chose to debloat. Lol

kanai

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

It disappeared for some time, but today it came back in My App list :'(

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to state this; the only thing ever really "wrong" with the Blockbuster app was, as it was "rolled-out" embedded in the TBolt, if you opened it once, then closed it without doing anything, the default was to continuously monitor and download the movie list. All we ever had to do was to know enough to go into its settings and change the default to not download movie lists in the background. Big deal. Anyone who actually did change the default would have had no issues with it. And all the updates so far have also been easy to set.

I guess it's fun to bad-mouth "bloatware", as the nerds and wannabe nerds like to do. But really, in truth, there is no particular issue with Blockbuster, specifically. Just like many well respected apps, you just have to change the defaults to protect your battery. Routine stuff.

JMHO.

-Frank

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to state this; the only thing ever really "wrong" with the Blockbuster app was, as it was "rolled-out" embedded in the TBolt, if you opened it once, then closed it without doing anything, the default was to continuously monitor and download the movie list. All we ever had to do was to know enough to go into its settings and change the default to not download movie lists in the background. Big deal. Anyone who actually did change the default would have had no issues with it. And all the updates so far have also been easy to set.

I guess it's fun to bad-mouth "bloatware", as the nerds and wannabe nerds like to do. But really, in truth, there is no particular issue with Blockbuster, specifically. Just like many well respected apps, you just have to change the defaults to protect your battery. Routine stuff.

JMHO.

-Frank

Yeah, I never had a problem with it either. I always just opened it and turned off the updates. Like I said a bit ago though, you can't do that anymore so I just hope its not doing anything in the background now because I don't see any options to turn stuff off anymore with the new app.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I never had a problem with it either. I always just opened it and turned off the updates. Like I said a bit ago though, you can't do that anymore so I just hope its not doing anything in the background now because I don't see any options to turn stuff off anymore with the new app.
Blockbuster | Menu | Settings | Disable Movie Updates.

-Frank

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

I noticed blockbuster missing from the market for quite awhile now, but I just decided to look again and its back :(

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

JMHO.

-Frank

That's false. Blockbuster is always on my list of apps that have an update available, so I can't click on the update all button to update all my apps. It is annoying.

I updated the BB app when I got the phone to turn off the within-program updates. Can I update the program without any battery harm? If so, then I withdraw my objection to the program. Can someone let me know? Thanks.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

What a mess this app is if you don't want it. So it updated to the NEW version 2.3.8 from the Market so it stopped nagging me about an update that didn't exist. So now I open the App to disable downloading only to find ....

There is NO setting in Blockbuster | Menu | Settings | Disable Movie Updates

All the Settings have changed, as in, there are virtually none. And the best part, when I opened the APP it tells me there's an UPDATE available!!! And if I click on Update it takes me to the Market which tells me I already HAVE the update. And now using 5.41mb of memory with no Move to SD.

<sigh>

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That's false. Blockbuster is always on my list of apps that have an update available, so I can't click on the update all button to update all my apps. It is annoying.

I updated the BB app when I got the phone to turn off the within-program updates. Can I update the program without any battery harm? If so, then I withdraw my objection to the program. Can someone let me know? Thanks.

This is a Market bug not a BB bug. If you read the notes on the app calling itself HTC BB Update it is not compatible with the Thunderbolt. Just another glitch in the new Market. I had that but it finally went away. AFAIK The current latest for the TBolt is 1.0.82. And you can simply disable movie updates.

Edit: (couple of minutes later) I apologize, I just checked and I can no longer find anything about it not being compatible with the TBolt. Something has changed since I last looked (over a week ago). The version now says Aug 4th - 5 days ago. Sorry. I'm checking this out now. In any case, according to an email I got from BB there should be another new version out soon. Hopefully that will clear the "update" thing up.

Edit: After further research, the new app looks better. See my post [Here].

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What a mess this app is if you don't want it. So it updated to the NEW version 2.3.8 from the Market so it stopped nagging me about an update that didn't exist. So now I open the App to disable downloading only to find ....

There is NO setting in Blockbuster | Menu | Settings | Disable Movie Updates

All the Settings have changed, as in, there are virtually none. And the best part, when I opened the APP it tells me there's an UPDATE available!!! And if I click on Update it takes me to the Market which tells me I already HAVE the update. And now using 5.41mb of memory with no Move to SD.

<sigh>

I believe this to be a new Market bug. Try the Uninstall option. Then clear cache/data, then Force close or restart. Check the Market again. According to the info on the version you have it is not compatible with the TBolt. Unless it just recently changed.

Edit: Sorry, I appolgize. I have now checked the market and things indeed seem to have changed since I last looked a week ago. I'm investigating it further. There is supposed to be yet another update soon however.

Edit: After further research, the new app looks better. See my post [Here].

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

After downloading and installing the new Blockbuster for HTC app (v 2.3.8) I find that, barring one apparent bug within the app, it is much better than all the previous BB apps.

The one bug, within the app itself, is that when you start the app it will tell you that there is (yet another) update for the app, that is not true. If you select Yes/update, you will basically just stay in the loop over and over. However, if you select No (until this bug is fixed) it will behave normally.

The reason it appears to me to be much better than any previous BB apps is because it doesn't need a way to turn off background movie updates because it doesn't do that at all anymore! It simply displays about two pages of movies (updated when you have the app open, not in the background) and at the bottom of each page it asks if you want [More Movies?]. This effectively eliminates the need for the app to ever download a movie list in the background. Therefore, there is no setting to disable background updates because they're not happening.

I was able to verify with Watchdog Task Monitor that BB ain't doing anything in the background.

Sorry for any earlier misleading info. I hadn't checked into it for a week or so.

-Frank

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I've read this 3 times and I still don't understand how that letter from blockbuster let you remove blovkbuster from your apps? If there is a way to delete it without rooting will someone please explain?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user