HTC rep says no Gingerbread for Dinc. Do we believ TB will get it

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC rep says no Gingerbread for Dinc. Do we believ TB will ge

Inc is a older phone. The TB WILL get it. I honestly don't even care. Im rooted and running GB. Can't see any reason to stay unrooted.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

If it's true that the "Thunderbolt 2" (HTC Vigor) will be releasing in a couple months, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gingerbread for the Thunderbolt is put on hold indefinitely, and then eventually scrapped. Unfortunately, there's just not a big reason for them to continue supporting the original Thunderbolt if the new version of the phone is going to be out less than a year after the original model launched.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Until one of the other 4G phones on Verizon get it, I don't see why people keep bringing this up.

ambushbug73

May 23, 2011
Visit site
If Unfortunately, there's just not a big reason for them to continue supporting the original Thunderbolt if the new version of the phone is going to be out less than a year after the original model launched.

From a business standpoint that's not true. The reason for them to continue to update the phone is for their business reputation.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

If it's true that the "Thunderbolt 2" (HTC Vigor) will be releasing in a couple months, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gingerbread for the Thunderbolt is put on hold indefinitely, and then eventually scrapped. Unfortunately, there's just not a big reason for them to continue supporting the original Thunderbolt if the new version of the phone is going to be out less than a year after the original model launched.

The reason is simple, most people aren't going to dump their Thunderbolts for a new phone after only 7 months or less. So HTC WILL continue to support the TB at least into the 1st quarter of 2012.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Until one of the other 4G phones on Verizon get it, I don't see why people keep bringing this up.

People keep bringing it up because TB is the FIRST 4G LTE phone from Verizon, and therefore should be the First 4G LTE phone from Verizon to get GB.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Methinks too many people sit around and worry about too many things, start rumors and just stir things up. This is all 100% conjecture and does nothing but give you ulcers (along with those inclined to worry with you).

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Methinks too many people sit around and worry about too many things, start rumors and just stir things up. This is all 100% conjecture and does nothing but give you ulcers (along with those inclined to worry with you).

In others words, BAU for an internet forum.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

From a business standpoint that's not true. The reason for them to continue to update the phone is for their business reputation.

The reason is simple, most people aren't going to dump their Thunderbolts for a new phone after only 7 months or less. So HTC WILL continue to support the TB at least into the 1st quarter of 2012.

I certainly hope so. I just wouldn't be all that surprised to see them shift the majority of their attention to the newer phone. Wouldn't be the first time a company has done it, really.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

not to mention, who said this is the Thunderbolts replacement? The Thunderbolt replacement would be the Thunderbolt 2. We all thought the Thunderbolt would be the Incredible 2 or HD. Look how that turned out. Lets just wait until it's announced. I thought after the TB launch, people would stop buying into rumors.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Well, I guess I'm going to be an exception because I can't wait to get rid of the TB. I'm waiting to see what is going to come out in the next couple of months and will go with one of the new phones.

As for upgrading, there really isn't that much difference between Froyo and GB, few upgrades and tweaks but not enough to make a big deal out of it.

As for the original question, yes, HTC will upgrade the TB, its a top of the line phone and much too new for them to forget it. That would be a Samung like move. The Dinc is a much older phone and for them to EOL the phone is disappointing but not really unexpected.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Well, I guess I'm going to be an exception because I can't wait to get rid of the TB. I'm waiting to see what is going to come out in the next couple of months and will go with one of the new phones.

...and that's why I said most people, not all people. ;)

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

not to mention, who said this is the Thunderbolts replacement? The Thunderbolt replacement would be the Thunderbolt 2. We all thought the Thunderbolt would be the Incredible 2 or HD. Look how that turned out. Lets just wait until it's announced. I thought after the TB launch, people would stop buying into rumors.

People have been buying into rumors for thousands of years, I never thought for an instant that the Thunderbolt was powerful enough would put a stop to that. :)

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I certainly hope so. I just wouldn't be all that surprised to see them shift the majority of their attention to the newer phone. Wouldn't be the first time a company has done it, really.

The majority of their attention will always for their newer products, that's the nature of business.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site

As for upgrading, there really isn't that much difference between Froyo and GB, few upgrades and tweaks but not enough to make a big deal out of it.

I understand that the thunderbold requires GB to take advantage of the front-facing camera with skype. This puts it into the category of big deal to me. I suspect I am not alone.

groupdelay

May 2, 2011
Visit site

That's false! It happens all the time in business when dealing with electronic tech related companies (including the bigger players) Sometimes it makes way more financial business sense to drop it. In this market they will lose very few customers as a majority don't even know what Gingerbread is nor even care. The ones that really scream, they may just throw them a bone with a coupon or discount on a different purchase. The remaining they will just suck-up the loss at the cost of doing business as they will gain other customers that get mad at other vendors and carriers because of similar situations.

They always factor in a certain amount of losses based on customer dis-satisfaction.

I would not be surprised at all to see them drop support shortly after the Thunderbolt 2 comes out. Like others have said. If you care..then root and apply your own ROM and patches. I am more than satisfied with my rooted setup using GB roms and patches to my liking.

TigersFIMA

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I understand that the thunderbold requires GB to take advantage of the front-facing camera with skype. This puts it into the category of big deal to me. I suspect I am not alone.

You're not. Particularly as the Netflix and Skype compatibility was a significant part of the pre-launch marketing (by both HTC and Verizon). Also, I thought I read somewhere else that Google video chat comes with or is enabled by Gingerbread. Is that true? To me, having one or two fairly standard, cross-platform apps for keeping in touch with family (including those who are non-smart device users) would pretty much complete this phone for me.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I am not concerned. My primary reason for wanting GB are the security updates that come with it. It is otherwise not that different from Froyo. My phone works fine, so I can wait. If, for some reason, the update never comes, then I can always root the phone and be done with it! :) The Vigor looks like quite the phone but my upgrade is not due until Nov 2012. By then, I can't even picture what the phones will be like. If we are getting phones with 720p displays this year and with 1.5 GHz dual core processors already, by this time next year it will be 1080p with quadcores, I guess. Remarkable how quickly these things are advancing!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88