New Version of HTC Sync Available

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't ask me why HTC chooses to ignore the ThunderBolt on its site or why the "check for updates" feature of HTC Sync never shows an update, but there is an update.

You can download HTC Sync Version 3.0.5557 [HERE]

Most of us probably currently have 3.0.5511 (TBolt orig) or 3.0.5517 (update alerted to here on AC).

-Frank

Last edited:

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Frank

I don't know why they don't have it "check for updates". I check every morning as part of normal routine... I might die of shock if it found something ;) my download claims to be 3.0.5551 and not 30.05557.... odd

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't ask me why HTC chooses to ignore the ThunderBolt on its site or why the "check for updates" feature of HTC Sync never shows an update, but there is an update.

You can download HTC Sync Version 3.0.5557 [HERE]

Most of us probably currently have 3.0.5511 (TBolt orig) or 3.0.5517 (update alerted to here on AC).

-Frank

This is an .exe file - got anything for Mac's?

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Its true... I bought a tablet to replace my macbook with lion. Apple has rendered it useless for me.

You guys must not earn a living with your computers in the graphic fields. I have used Mac's as an illustrator and designer from the beginning of personal computers (and with paper, pen, ink, paint, etc. BEFORE computers)...yes, there was a time before personal computers boys and girls.

PC's have come a long way in the last 20 years catching up to Mac's for commercial graphics printing, but there was a time when commercial printers and service bureaus HATED trying to print from PC files - they usually had to be converted in order to print correctly.

There used to be some rules of thumb on what type of computer to buy (there still is, but no one seems to know it anymore).

1. Decide what you want to do on the computer.
2. Pick the best software to accomplish what you want to do.
3. Pick the best platform to run the software.

Joking aside, cheering and booing one platform over another is silly.

There was a time when I was running both platforms with duplicate software on both, just to satisfy clients needs. Eventually software and hardware improved to the point where I could open files from either platform within the same software and I was able to get rid of my PC's.

PC's today are fine, and if I had to, I could go back to them.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the new version now supports Outlook 2010. Funny though how the downloads page (HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC ThunderBolt) for the Thunderbolt still indicates the older version. You can find the newer version by searching the HTC site, but they all show up under other phone models. Not to mention the download's file size has doubled over the previous version (70MB to 144MB, seems kind of bloated). I haven't actually used HTC Sync since 1.) don't really have a need and 2.) from the documentation on it, looks like it gets setup to startup everytime the PC does, so it's always running in the background (yuck, that's a non-starter for me, ha-ha, no pun intended :)). Frank, does this new version work with the Thunderbolt and/or provide any new wiz bang functionality? Does it still work properly if you stop it from always running in the background? Thanks.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank, does this new version work with the Thunderbolt and/or provide any new wiz bang functionality? Does it still work properly if you stop it from always running in the background? Thanks.
Can't say I've tried stopping it. However, I'd guess that it'd just start up if you executed the program. I dunno... I really don't think it's any different than previous versions in that regard. However, if your phone is not connected I think they stop. Right now, my phone is not connected, and I can't find any service that I can identify with HTC Sync (or Vcast).

As for what this new version does... basically, the way I see it, it is no longer really phone specific. It includes drivers/services for "ALL HTC Smartphones" (HTC's quote, not mine). This is the All HTC Smartphone's version. Hence, bigger. I don't really know about added functionality. But if, as you say, they added Outlook/Office 2010 features, that's good.

-Frank

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have an older laptop that is overdue to be wiped and the OS re-installed, so it would be a good candidate to install the software on and play around with it before wiping/rebuilding the system. If it meets my strict criteria, may be I'll install it on my main system to sync the Outlook calendar and IE bookmarks.

I just don't like random programs running or software that installs services that always run in the background, would rather they be on demand only when I want them. I also highly restrict installed software anyway to reduce the system's attack surface and minimize patching/administration of software, basically the K.I.S.S principle. :)