HTC digital clock with temp widget question

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I set up the weather for the clock it says current location or add a city. If I choose current location it only says Massachusetts. Temp varies widely throughout the state. Is it choosing my actual location or the temp at Logan Airport or what?

I would like the temperature to be where I actually am at any given time. In other words i'd like it to use current gps location. Is that possible?

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It's choosing your exact location. But it will only update every hour or so, it works best when you stay in one place for a while, not so much when your driving. If you click the weather part of the widget you can tell it how often to update or update it manually.

baja141

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes mine recognize which city I am in new york and shows it. Other times is stay stuck on New York like now. Makes me wonder what causes it to know where you are.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Its a known problem with Verizon's network. That is where it gets your information from, its not a problem with the widget, its a problem with Verizon's network location services.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's a problem with the app imo that it depends on the Verizon service. It should offer gps as an option for location.

So when it only says "Massachusetts" the temperature may or.may not be anywhere near me right?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It does use GPS but to state if you are in a specific city or not it seems like it gets it from the tower. Mine was saying "Current Location" for a couple days a while back but the weather was right on anyway, so it knew where I was, just couldnt put it in words I guess.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Since gps is accurate within 25 m it would be better to.get city from Google than where the tower.is. no matter how.you look at it other apps can do it so if HTC can't it is HTC to blame. If Verizon isn't dependable it is up to app developer to improve and update app just like every other app developer does imo.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Its a known problem with Verizon's network. That is where it gets your information from, its not a problem with the widget, its a problem with Verizon's network location services.

Actually, Sense Weather does not use Verizon Location Services unless it has no choice. Priority connection is through Google Location Services.

It sound like a issue I've seen before with triangulation relay errors when we test our geolocation mapping for cell sites. I doubt that is the case, however... Phones do not use that protocol.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try turning off all location services except Google location service. Then open Google Maps, let it lock and confirm it's correct, close it and then open/close the weather app a few times. It will update to the correct location. At least that's what has always worked for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Try turning off all location services except Google location service. Then open Google Maps, let it lock and confirm it's correct, close it and then open/close the weather app a few times. It will update to the correct location. At least that's what has always worked for me.

How? I don't know.how to shut off other services but I did lock on my position with Google maps. Then I went to weather app in clock and refreshed 5 times.but no luck. It just says Massachusetts.

I happen to be at home and the town I live in is not listed as a.city you can choose as a location. Could.this be why current location fails to name my town?

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
E
Menu, Settings, Location. Uncheck VZW and Standalone GPS, leave Google checked.

I tried that but map was never.able to lock on to my position. It got my town but had me about a mile away. The circle with the blinking pointer in it never.disappeared in maps.so I assume that means Google location service.was unable.to lock on to my position?

I finally got gls to find me by turning on WiFi. I then tried refreshing weather app in clock repeatedly but no luck. It has never once said my towns name. It's like it just doesn't recognize the town I live in even thou Google does.

Is it possible the weather app cannot recognize my town since it is.not a listed.location you can select manually?

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I may be on to something. As soon as I drive to a neighboring town its name appears. I think the weather app just cannot name MY town in particular.

I wonder if anyone else who lives in a small town sees the same.phenomenon?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Google Maps is locking onto your general location. Mine too is about a mile off. That's normal as Google location services is a course location based on triangulation off cell towers. Also, my suburb of Birmingham doesn't show up by name in the weather app when I type it in. Same with other various surrounding suburbs. But, that has never prevented them from showing correctly in the weather app. In the weather app, go to Menu, Settings. Is it set to update when opened? Also, not sure if it matters, but I deleted the second city (default of New York), so it only has one listing. Only other thing I could think of for you to try is to clear the data of the weather app (Menu, Settings, Applications, Manage applications, Running, Weather, Clear data).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is set to refresh when I open it but I have also manually refreshed repeatedly. My theory is shot if the actual name of your town shows up in the app?

It's weird. Even when I manually refresh the new name of any town I'm in doesn't change for like 5 minutes.

Last edited:

npc_caseym

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It is set to refresh when I open it but I have also manually refreshed repeatedly. My theory is shot if the actual name of your town shows up in the app?

It's weird. Even when I manually refresh the new name of any town I'm in doesn't change for like 5 minutes.
Are you inside of a building or outside when you try locking in Google Maps? I know for me, I have to go outside to get the GPS to actually lock into the correct position/location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12